sew much fun!

could i possibly come up with a cheesier post title?!

anyway, today a friend and her girls came over and while the girls were all playing we got to do a little sewing. we had a great time and the kids were great (by “great”, i mean not needing a ton of attention, i’ll admit it!). so here’s some pictures of what i got done today and the past week or so.

i finally got gracie’s quilt all pieced together and looked at it and thought it was a bit boring. so i grabbed a bunch of scraps and made a flower. it turned out pretty fun. i free-hand cut a bunch of “petals” of different sizes, then layered them on top of each other with all sorts of fun, sloppy stitches. the plan as of now is to put 5 flowers on each of the girls quilts to add some dimension and a little more contrast. i added a bit more dark brown to the flowers since i realized the quilts didn’t have as much as i originally intended.

this weekend is the women’s conference and sean is taking the girls camping (brave man!) with some wonderful, long-time friends (more like family!), so i’ll have saturday afternoon and sunday all to myself. i hope to be nearly done with the quilts when they come home, but we’ll see – watching movies and eating stuff i shouldn’t may sound more my speed.

speaking of eating stuff i shouldn’t, here’s a little pregnancy update: on tuesday i had my gestational diabetes test and failed! so wednesday morning, after fasting since 8pm the night before, i had to go in for a more thorough round of tests. that means drinking 100 grams of sugar (glucose?) in the form of a somewhat warm, thick, cola flavored syrup, then getting my blood drawn not 1, not 2, but 4 TIMES!!! i ended up at the lab for over 4 hours because they don’t let you leave between draws which are every hour. but i had a very sweet lady poking my “rolling” veins, and good news: i do not have gestational diabetes. all that said, i am feeling a bit guilty about the pound packing i’ve been doing and need to take better care of my body and baby. so after today’s grocery run of “only healthy food” (what i had to keep repeating to gracie as she asked about every sugar cereal – smart marketing having those at kids’ eye level!) i hope to turn slightly from my ways of eating whatever crosses my path, and maybe tryout that pregnancy workout video again. i did try it once, and it was really fun to do because gracie did it with me, but when lily thought throwing toys at my feet was fun, and running through my legs everytime i spread them was helpful (it wasn’t!) i gave up!

so maybe monday will be an update on my accomplishments, or failures!
have a great weekend!

Comments

Jeannett Gibson says:

Fun flowers! Sadly, not appropriate for a little boys’ room! :)

I know what you mean about the weight…fortunately we only have a couple of months to go!

Shannon says:

Oh my gosh – could that be any cuter!!! (Is that a word?) I think you should enter it into some kind of contest!! I love it! You are amazing girl! Will you make me one? JUST KIDDING – don’t you love that!

Welcome to my world – gaining weight s*(&*!!!!! But I too am on a mission! Somehow with your matabolism I think you will win! And you will be just fine after the birth – you always are!

Well we are off to the Stagecoach Music Festival for the weekend – Yee Haw – talk to you later. Love you!

Denise says:

I’m so jealous! I want flowers or something that adds emph!
    Btw- i had to have those tests with josie. thankfully your parent’s office was right by the lab so they (the lab) let me hang out there.
    i also have a girl’s retreat this weekend. some of us ladies skipped the church retreat and have rented a house in cambria.
    -d

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

Super cute!! I love em!

Sounds like we both had a bit of a scary week… I’m glad everything is okay!

Have fun this weekend!

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

Super cute!! I love em!

Sounds like we both had a bit of a scary week… I’m glad everything is okay!

Have fun this weekend!

love the fabric flowers! very creative!! so gald you don’t have gestational diabetes. looking forward to hanging out with you and the other girls this weekend! xoxo

Brenda Williams says:

I’m so glad to hear that you’re diabetes-free, but what a bummer having to go through that second bigger test!
    The flowers are so pretty. I’m completely non-crafty, and amazed at the projects that you do so easily.

I love the quilt! What a great idea to put flowers on it. So beautiful. What a treasure for your girls to have a home-made quilt from their mommy.

I’m so sorry you had to do the big glucose test! Yucky! Fasting while pregnant has got to be a form of torture! =)
    ~Lara

Carrie Borsgard says:

soo pretty!! I am super impressed! you have such talent!

Kristen Borland says:

i loooove the flowers! what an awesome idea!!! maybe someday i’ll make a quilt for dulce like that.

sorry you had to do the four-hour glucose test. i always fear that!! but good to hear you don’t have gestational diabetes! working out… oh, are we supposed to be doing that? ha! i have a great “dance” work out tape that is actually very challenging and a lot of fun, but not easily done with the kiddos around!!

enjoy your weekend!

k.smith says:

I LOVE THE FLOWERS!!
    do you sell them? i would LOVE to buy some if you do. name your price. there is no way id be able to find those scraps which go so well together.
    please let me know, i would love to buy some.
    thanks!

lindsey cheney says:

k. smith – i just made up those flowers myself. send me your email address and we can discuss this further, ok? 5cheneys@gmail.com