father’s day weekend

we went down south this weekend to buy a new car (see pic above). it also worked out great for us to surprise sean’s twin nieces at their 16th birthday party. they were totally surprised and so happy to see us (and they loved the necklaces, lisa!). sean was able to get a very long mountain bike ride in all day saturday with a great family friend, ryan, and the kids and i spent the day running errands with kim, ryan’s wife (also a wonderful friend – she’s known sean since early childhood), and their 2 kids.
sunday we went down to san clemente (where we used to live) for breakfast at our favorite place, and decided to spend the day down at the beach. the girls were a ton of fun, we totally relaxed, sean and lily got a little nap together, and we realized that we needed to do this sort of thing more often.
we had initially planned on staying at the beach for about an hour, then were having such a great time we wanted to stay longer. we slathered the girls up with sunscreen as soon as we got there, but only put a little on our faces and shoulders, thinking we’d only be there for a short time. well……. sean and i look like a couple of lobsters! painfully red and sunburned! i feel so stupid, i should know better. but i’m paying for my stupidity – this is seriously painful, even clothes hurt! sean said it was a “tourist” thing to do!

for the record, she’s making “sand angels”!

sean left monday morning at about3:30 am in order to make it home for work commitments. the girls and i left later that morning, taking our time getting home and running errands. when we were just a couple miles from home i got into a car accident. yes, in my new car! i was on the freeway in the fast lane when a semi-truck / dirt hauler started moving into my lane. i had no choice but to move into the center section and since he had taken up the whole lane i ended up hitting the center guardrail to avoid getting hit by him. i didn’t hit it very hard, but it sent me bouncing and swerving across the freeway. i remember looking into my rear view mirror and seeing all the cars behind me slowing way down, so i knew there was no one that i was going to hit. after i regained control, i pulled off to the right, and thankfully, so did the truck driver, along with a half dozen other cars to check on us. i quickly got out a had a few choice words for the truck driver, then got back into my car. a couple of the other drivers were so helpful in checking on the girls and comforting them as they had to stay buckled in their carseats. one woman came and gave me a big hug as i fell apart on her shoulder. i was able to call sean and he got there soon after the police officer. we were all fine. no one was hurt, we were/are just a bit shook up. the car doesn’t look all that bad, and definitely could have been much worse (i thought for sure we were going to roll), but sean’s afraid the damage may be so costly that the insurance company may decide its not worth it and total the car! i hope not, but we’ll see. i’m so thankful God had his hand upon us and kept us safe. a car is just a car, although i am very thankful we were in that big one for the extra protection. i’m also very thankful for super safe carseats (we love britax!) and the belts all working properly.

Comments

andy gibson says:

I was so sorry to hear about this. I was almost as excited as you and sean about the new rig. It’s good you were in that Tankyota, and Praise God it kept all four feet on the floor, as He had it in His hands for sure. Glad you all are ok, and chances are it’ll get repaired. I’ll pray for you guys.

Lisa Leonard says:

holy guacamole! That is so scary!! So glad you are all OK. Bummer about your new car. I hope its fixable. Glad the party was fun.

Jeannett Gibson says:

I can’t imagine how scary that must have been with two little ones and eight months pregnant to boot! You’re in my prayers tonight…you’re right, a car is just a car, but dealing with insurance and body shops is such a pain!

Vikki Murray says:

Lindsey,
    Please have your insurance company pay to replace your car seats because in an accident, they can be damaged at a microscopic level that you will only find out about when they fail in your next crash! We were rear-ended a few years ago and didn’t see any damage to the car seats, but were advised to turn them into the CHP so that they wouldn’t be used by anyone else (i.e. taken out of the dumpster, sold at Good Will, etc). Our insurance paid for the new car seats (our choice) with no questions asked! Glad you are safe!

Brianna Heldt says:

oh my goodness i’m glad you’re okay! (loving the new car btw.) i so wish i’d been there to see you telling off the truck driver! that is so scary, again i’m glad you and the girls are safe and sound. (we love britax too. our insurance company tried to tell us we needed to give our carseat to the chp to be destroyed after i sideswiped a car once but we didn’t do it, as the accident was no bigger deal than, say, going over a bump and i can gaurantee the seat wasn’t in any way damaged.)

Kristen Borland says:

thank the Lord you are all safe!!! yes, car seats are wonderful!! thank goodness for all the regulations we have to put up with. i would totally fall apart myself. i’m so glad you were able to hold it together until you were all safe.

yes, i agree with vikki. i know ruth got in a minor accident and the insurance company paid for her car seat replacements, even though there was no damage. you never know what small damage can be done.

Are you okay?
    I am also so glad you were in such a hefty vehicle! Even if you were in the vehicle for that ride alone, praise God that He had (and has) His hands on you, the girls and baby.
    And, what beautiful pix of your family at the beach. I know it was much needed family time. I need the pic of Gracie and Lily kissing framed!

Lindsey, I am so glad no one is hurt. Oh, how scary! I can’t wait till I see you again so I can give you a big hug!

Brenda W says:

Oh my goodness, how very very scarey! So glad that not physical harm was done, but still a huge bummer for the new car and your nerves!

Wow Lindsey, that is VERY scary. I am so glad you were all unharmed. PRAISE GOD!!!!!!

Shannon says:

Oh my gosh Linds! I’m so glad you guys are ok! But thanks again for coming down, it was such a great surprise for us all :} And bummer about the car – let us know how it goes with that. I love you guys!

Praise God that you were all safe. Semi-trucks are scary as is, let alone on the freeway!

Heather says:

Wow! I just heard about this-Praise God you guys are all alright-that could have been so much worse. I’m glad you are all okay. Miss you guys already! It was great seeing you. Love you guys! Heath