why didn’t anyone tell me?!?

this is me on the morning of my birthday. gracie was so cute – she got a ton of her toys and wrapped them all up for me in gift bags and boxes. she had so much fun spoiling me with all her gifts. lily’s got some sweet bed head!
later that night, sean and the girls came home with a surprise for me (a cake). gracie did a really good job keeping it a secret until just before the “unveiling”. she ran into the room and said, “mommy, don’t look at your cake – its a surprise!” ! so cute!

so back to the “why didn’t anyone tell me” thing: i’m FAT! you can all say what you like and be polite and all, but its true! i see myself momentarily everyday in the mirror, but don’t generally have time to take it all in. but when i just looked at this picture of me on my birthday, well, i’m huge! i knew my body was large, but i actually had convinced myself (wrongly) that my face still looked mostly normal. aaaahhhhh! no more comments from anyone saying that i’m “all belly” because that’s all bull! and i still have 2 more months to go, and you know how the weight packs on so easily from here on out. at my last weigh in, i mean dr.’s appointment, i had already gained over 40 pounds! that is not “all belly”! that’s buns, thighs, arms, face, “cankles”…… all over!

my doctor said i can keep going the way i am because she knows that i can pretty much lose the weight after, but she doesn’t suggest it. she said i really need to eat more protein and cut back on carbs and sugars. looks like i need to join lisa on the south beach diet!

so here’s what i need from you: suggestions. i need to know what are good breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks that fit my doc’s criteria. here’s my typical eating for a day, so you’ll see where i struggle (mostly sugars and carbs):
bfast – cinnamon swirl toast, and huge glass of milk
lunch – chicken fingers, fries, and strawberry shake (shared with the girls, of course)
snack – granola bar?
dinner – chicken, pasta, veggie
dessert – bowl of ice cream

so i’m not looking for sympathy. by my daily diet example you can see just how i’ve done this to myself. is this what gluttony looks like? anyone have some suggestions? i do really want to do this, because i’ve gone from feeling great to feeling huge. i’m getting pretty uncomfortable lugging around this extra weight, and most positions sitting or laying down or squatting are nearly painful. and the waddle doesn’t help the ego much.

oh, and i’m supposed to be exercising too…. right

Comments

Beautiful Lindsey! First you know you’ll drop that as soon as you have the baby. You’ll be sporting a bikini in Mexico.

My favorites watch it foods.
    B-fast- Eggs with sauted veggies serve with a side of fruit.
    Lunch- a pita loaded with black beans cheese, lettuce, salsa or with sandwich fixins (add spinach to up that fiber, btw- fiber keeps you feeling fuller, and keeps you regular) and a side of fruit
    Dinner- Chicken, more veggies, salad (mix in more spinach)
    Snacks- peanuts or other nuts, raisins, and edomome.
    No cookies! No Soda! No Milkshakes (well once a week)!

How was Gracie’s birthday party?

Jeannett Gibson says:

I just love you! You crack me up! I do still believe you at least LOOK all belly when fully clothed, but I am the first person to also understand that it doesn’t really matter what other people say, it’s how you feel at this point. That being said, and not that I’m about to win any nutritional awards myself, I’d suggest lots of protein. Have two scrambled eggs for breakfast…you’d be surprised how long that holds you over…make sure you get more protein for lunch and dinner and make snacks things like almonds, peanuts, beans, etc. The sweets, while yummy, make you run out of juice really quickly.

Don’t worry about the weight…when the boys come out, you and I are going to lose the weight together and be smoking hot! :) (At least that’s what I tell myself!)

Kristen Borland says:

first, who exercises when they are that pregnant?!

second, no sympathy from me because all that weight is going to melt right off of you!

third, watermelon works GREAT to supress my need for dessert. it’s sweet and cold (if refrigerated) and perfect! plus, it’s practically all water! i don’t know how many calories it is, but it’s nothing compared to ice cream (which sounds sooooo good right now!).

Jacquelyn says:

Yeah, I exercised twice a week until I had Eliannah, (I even went to the gym a few hours before I went in to labor) and I still haven’t lost all the “baby fat” so good luck with that. Anyone can exercise, take a walk with the girls, come over to my house for a swim (my butt is still bigger than yours!), you have to start somewhere and it may not make you look different but it will help you feel better.

No joke! I, and I’m sure MANY others, look at you 7 months pregnant and wish we could look so good.. I think your pregnancy must be skewing your perspective. Say what you will, but this is my perspective and I’m sticking to it. Just remember, if you were somehow able to avoid gaining weight during pregnancy as well, all of the rest of us would be forced to throw ourselves off a cliff in outrage :)

Brianna Heldt says:

Lindsey you crack me up! You look beautiful and hey, at least you’ve got that big baby belly to make the rest look smaller…whereas I on the other hand have some more weight to lose but no belly. (I do have a sweet baby girl however, so it’s worth it. :) )

Pregnancy/post-pregnancy is hard on the body image, no doubt about it!

Katie Lady says:

frankly, I think it’s post-pregnancy that’s a challenge: not to stress eat while you’re sitting on your bigger butt nursing with no time to exercise & so little sleep it’s hard to make smart eating choices.I’m seriously limited with my dietary needs now, but when I was “losing” weight pre-William my favrite breakfast was 2 soft-boiled eggs with a smidge of butter, salt and pepper, toast and tons of fruit or two Eggo waffles, whole wheat, low fat with tons of fruit. Lunch is two corn tortillas with mashed black beans and tons of free salsa and lettuce! Dinner is more challenging, but I agree with Denise: tons of veggies and whole wheat pasta! Dessert…I have a great low-cal butterscotch bar recipe! All kidding aside, you are glowing and that makes everyone forget about you growing!

Beautiful Lindsey, I didn’t notice you being fat, but I do have some suggestions for eating healthier.
    Don’t eat foods with high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils. They suppress your metabolism causing weight gain.
    For some meal ideas:
    Breakfast: Get some Ezekiel Bread at Trader Joes, toast it and put on some natural peanut butter, and yummy jam. It’s delicious, protein rich and very filling.
    Lunch: Salmon salad sandwich (tastes the same as tuna, but you don’t have to worry about mercury).
    Dinner: Steamed asparagus (tons of folic acid!), baked white fish with sliced almonds, and brown rice.
    Snacks: apparently lots of cucumbers! =) Hee, hee

Shannon says:

Ahhhh, i love you my skinny little sister! But welcome to my world! Just Kidding – you are not in the same universe as me ;} You really are gorgeous no matter what you weigh! And I do keep those protein bars around for snacking and ohhh – I love Lara Bars – Cashew cookie is the best!!!!

Oh! Happy Birthday, by the way. Gracie is so sweet. =)

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

Hmm… not looking forward to cankles :)
    Remember a few months ago when the doctor told you to gain more weight and to do it by eating sweets? Ahh… the good time. Anyway- I think you look great but I understand. And I think we’ll be switching roles come october. You’ll be back to your skinny self and I’ll look like I’m 4 months prego still :)

Here are some of my prego diet changes:

Hard boiled eggs- easy & lots of protien. I’ll have them for breakfast w/ whole wheat toast or as a snack later in the day.

Celery & peanut butter- totally takes me back to elementary school, but it’s been a good snack to get some protein & veggies in. Apples & peanut butter have been great too.

Asparagus- TJ’s has frozen asparagus that is great to add to pastas. Now that it’s summer, we’re BBQing corn & asparagus a lot.

For dessert, I got the 100% fruit popcicles from trader joes. When I have to have my ice cream, I get fro-yo or Dreyers slow churned reduced fat ice cream. It’s really good! Also,I second Kristen on the watermelon. I love summer fruits!

I love to eat, so the super healthy, bland diet is not for me. I’ve just tried to add in fruits, veggies & high protein snacks like nuts & pb and to watch my desserts. The last one is my downfall- but at least I can say I’ve tried!

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

Hmm… not looking forward to cankles :)

Here are some of my prego diet changes:

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

As if my last book-long comment wasn’t enough, I thought of one of my favorite quasi-healthy breakfasts. We make what we call “moonstruck”. The name comes from the Cher movie :)

What you do is take a piece of hearty bread (cut from a loaf, not sandwhich bread) and then cut or tear a small round hole in the middle of the bread. We put a little butter or olive oil in a frying pan and then stick the bread on. We then crack an each in the middle of the bread (into the hole) and let it cook, turning it when it is time. We then add some good pasta sauce to the top and sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the top. It’s soooo good! Pretty easy to make and it is a hearty breakfast. We tend to make it the morning after we have pasta for dinner, since we usually have sauce left over.

Joyful Weddings & Events says: