onesies

i finished recovering the boppy pillow last night (yay!). its not great, the front is pieced together kinda funky, and the back is chenille, but its done. now i won’t have to nurse my son on a pink toile boppy.
here’s today’s project: a bunch of onesies. if you don’t know by now, i’m a pretty picky person, especially when it comes to baby clothes. in general, i don’t favor the typical lines of clothing you can get about anywhere with animals and sports themes, etc. so i got some onesies as hand-me-downs and bought some from the gap and carters that had GAP across the front, or a bear, or the abc’s. i went thru all my scrap fabrics and used some wonder under (double sided fusible webbing – basically acts like glue for fabric) and made these little appliques. i still need to stitch them all down. they’re stuck for now, but need some reinforcement. i really wanted to try to trim them with some thick embroidery floss for fun, funky lines, but i’m realizing that’ll take a long time by hand. so i may just machine stitch them in contrasting threads. we’ll see…

turtle

stars

surfboard

more stars

back side and sleeves

and yet another star

as you can tell, i couldn’t think of much other than stars. i may try a little car or something. so here’s where i start to sound hypocritical: i want to make a car applique for a onesie, but i wouldn’t buy a onesie with a car on it, right? well, it all depends on how the applique is done, the fabrics, the colors (did i mention i was picky?)

signing off for now. my mother-in-law is visiting us with my nephew for a couple days, so my posts may be on hold for a bit – not sure if i’ll get any more projects done tomorrow.

Comments

Carrie Borsgard says:

too cute! again, I am so impressed by your creative skills. Those look like they could be sold in stores!

Shannon says:

Sooo cute linds! Your so picky because you have such good taste :} Be careful with that mother in law ;} love ya mucho

Brenda Williams says:

I love what you’ve done with the onesies! I am “this close” to buying some dye and giving it a shot.
    What is your well-dressed young man going to wear on his legs? I always struggle to fun cute yet comfortable pants for Shawn. Most boys pants are so heavy and bulky.

lindsey, do you have patterns for cutting out all those shapes? how did you do them so accurately? and how long did it take you from start to finish on those two projects? just curious.

Jacquelyn says:

I’m glad I’m not the only “picky” mom out there, although you take it to a whole new level!! I hope those onsies fit for a long time!

Kristen Borland says:

super cute!

Jeannett Gibson says:

Dang, poor Henry will be the dorky kid! I’m so not talented like you! Maybe you can start your own business…so many of the other Grace mommies do! :) I’m also picky and been quite dismayed at the boy clothes…can no one think of anything besides baseball and ugly dinosaurs??? But, I don’t have the talent to do all these projects…poop.

lindsey cheney says:

brenda – i found some really cute baby boy pants and shorts at target for $3.99. they come in blue, brown, grey, and navy. check them out!

kate – no patterns. i did a practice drawing of the turtle, but otherwise freehanded the others until they looked right. each onesie, with stitching to reinforce, probably took about 1/2 hour. really not too bad!
    dyeing took a lot longer – probably a good hour per batch start to finish.

Heather says:

Linds- Those are super cute! You could totally sell those. Seriously-you are so talented and you seem to be able to just “whip” this stuff up and it’s always amazing and beautiful. You’ve got a gift, girl! :)

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

can I buy them off of you?

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

can I buy them off of you?