aargh, matey!

here’s a couple of pictures of silas’ costume. unfortunately, i didn’t get any pics of him wearing it because he was asleep. did you notice the tiny tatoos? any truly surly pirate has at least a couple tattoos!
here’s a detail of the shirt i made. i copied the design from one of the tattoos, but made it even a bit more playful. who knew a skull and crossbones could be so cute?

halloween costumes are all done – yay! i guess i did have time after all to make lily’s, but buying premade sure was a lot easier.

i love making my kids costumes. its something my mom did for me, so i feel like i’m carrying on a tradition. she always made us the coolest costumes. thanks. mom!

Comments

SOO CUTE! Silas is going to be the cuteset surly pirate around. I like the shirt – you did a great job on the skull and crossbones, it turned out really cute! When I see these cute costumes you made, it makes me wish I could sew (I don’t think I have the patience). Maybe someday I will take the time to learn – I know I would like to incorporate sewing into scrapbooking. Maybe when I get a craft table and area…. :o)

Carrie Haughey says:

okay, I love that he has little bitty tattoos!! You are such a good mommy, making your kids costumes! Way to go!

So creative Lindsey! I love the the shirt you made! Handmade stuff is so special. That’s cool that you’re carrying on your mom’s tradition. Can’t wait to see it on Silas!

Jeannett Gibson says:

Oh my! I LOVE that shirt! I have actually been looking for a skull shirt for Henry…finally found one at Johnson’s…for $25!!! No way will I spend that much on a t shirt he’ll only wear for a month or two!

posting at 6:40 AM? no wonder silas was asleep. what a handsome pirate he’ll be! what a fun tradition to carry on with your own family.

Lisa Leonard says:

that is soooo cute! i love it.

So stinking cute!!! I can’t believe you found time to make all three costumes! Puts me to shame………………

The costumes turned out great! It was so good to see you guys on wednesday. I loved watching Lily and Caedra interacting together. So sweet.

i always have a great time doing all the costumes. i’m glad to see you doing it also. the peter pan crew will rock. i love how happy to skull & crossbones look.

mom

Sarah Markley says:

No way! I love it. I wish I could sew like you and I had the creativity! You are amazing!

SO Cute!

I love your blog! it has a great feel and you have such a cutie family. :)

I also enjoy the kitchen blog- i’m look forward to good recipies :)

Brianna Heldt says:

how have i not commented on this post yet; that costume is ADORABLE!

missed you at the park today.

such a cute shirt! i was wondering how you did it. did you stitch around everything first and then use some kind of iron on adhesive or did you sew all the pieces directly on to the shirt?

lindsey cheney says:

anonymous – i used wonder under (an iron on adhesive) on the fabric, then cut out the shapes i wanted, ironed them on, then stitched around it all in a tight zigzag, or satin stitch. next time i would probably skip the satin stitch because it took so long, and just do a basic straight stitch in a contrasting thread. hope that helps. feel free to email me with any other questions!