tie pillows

shannon! don’t look!!!!

i made some pillows for my sister (in-law) and her four kids. they are made from the ties of their father who passed away almost a year ago. i so wish i could be there when they open these gifts. they will mean so much to them.

here’s a quick tutorial:

the finished five pillows

i first layed out the ties in opposite directions. i used six ties for each pillow that resulted in 17″x17″ pillows.

i sewed them on the machine, right sides together, with about 1/8″ seam.

next i squared off the ties, cutting off the tips and tails.

then i cut coordinating fabric for the back and pinned it in place. then i sewed it all together with a 1/4″ seam allowance, leaving an opening in the middle of one side about 4-5″ for the stuffing.

i trimmed the corners to get a nice point when turned inside out.

to get the best point, i’ve found that a chopstick works best without puncturing the fabric.

next fill with batting.

then finish with a blind stitch.

voila! you’re done!

Comments

the pillows look great–but more than that, what a sweet, sweet gift for the family. great idea, linds!

those pillows are great and what a wonderful meaningful gift for all of them

She is going to LOVE these. what a great idea.
    Your cool!

unfinished says:

john did such a great job in coordinating his ties to his wardrobe and you did a great job putting them together in pillows. every one of them is a gem. mom

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

My eyes welled up looking at them. They will love them!

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

My eyes welled up looking at them. They will love them!

I didn’t look and I’m not crying!! (love you)

I’m not crying either. You did an awesome job. They will love them. What a special reminder of him everyday as they look at them. He did love his ties and now we all get to enjoy them too. Lynda

Jeannett Gibson says:

I showed this post to a coworker and she teared up…then she started racking her brain on where HER dad’s ties might be!

Cathi Hamen says:

great job girl!! you earned your best sister n law award !!!
    you made us all tear up!
    ps give gracie and lilly a hug from jordi

amazing!

Oh my word! This is an AMAZING idea!
    My husbands big brother died a few years ago and left behind a wife and three young children.
    It would be lovely to do something like this for them all.
    Beautiful, beautiful idea, Lindsey.
    ~Kalurah

Yes, a fantastic idea! I’ll have to try this one sometimes.

Brianna Heldt says:

wow, this gave me goosebumps, lindsey this is so amazing! what a priceless, priceless gift, and they are so beautiful too.

Kristen Borland says:

that’s awesome! what a wonderful and special gift!

Carrie Haughey says:

LOVE the new header!!

Such a cute gift idea, even if you don’t have “heirloom” ties, you could pick up a bunch at Goodwill or something. very cute!

LINDS,
    You are so amazing. This will make them all so happy.
    Tracy
    and yes I am tearing up….

Thank you for thinking of them in such a special way. We are all racking our brains trying to come up with ways to ease their hurts and help them and this is so amazing. They are going to absolutely love them. I’ll do my best to catch their reaction on film tomorrow morning for you (and I promise I’ll post it right away!) Heath

Thanks for being so clear in your instructions and the pics really were helpful…I am making my 4 daughters t-shirt quilts for christmas and wanted to do something “sewing-wise” for my husband who preaches. I looked on internet several tims but didn’t come up with a clear way to do the pillows (for his office) but you did a fantastic job showing me…I feel confident that I can do it now. Thanks!

Anonymous says:

great job <3 and thanks for the tut. my family is doing the same thing with my grandpa's old ties for the same reason and this is going to make our lives a lot easier.