the name game

since its been awhile since you’ve seen my kids, i thought i’d start this post off with a handful of totally unrelated photos!

this is what i wake up with nearly every morning, although gracie is usually the cheeriest (not in this pic)

this is my girls and their best friends waiting as the gates are opened at the zoo. best trip ever to the local zoo! i highly recommend going first thing in the morning because all the animals were so active – i even had fun!

and here’s where i find silas any time i’m doing laundry! if any clothes are left while he;s in there, he throws them out to me! he’s a crack-up!

and here’s lulu. oh, how typical is this picture of her! her ice cream dropped off the cone onto the bench. so what did she do? she just set down the empty cone and picked up the melting ball of ice cream! 5 minutes later she had an appointment with the garden hose.

here’s the chickletts at our church’s 4th of july picnic, prepping for the highly anticipated gunny sack race.

sooooo……
lots of ideas out there for the new business name! thanks guys for all your help. i still want to get more ideas, though. after reading all those comments, i’m realizing a little bit more about what i want the name to sound like/feel like. i actually think i don’t want the name to reflect anything related to sewing. i know, that sounds crazy, considering the business, but i want to leave my options more open to other business opportunities that may come along that may not be sewing related. so for now i’ll give you my favorites from your suggestions and what i love about them, so maybe that can be a jumping off point for you:

*fresh picked* suggested by deborah w – i really like the feeling of this one, especially since i work so much with floral fabrics, and my new love of making fabric flowers. super fun!
*girl on the red swing* suggested by robbin – now this is what i’m talking about! something totally random, but sweet and imaginative and creative! i can totally picture the cutest logo of a silhouette of a tree with a red swing dangling from a branch! this one has got me really thinking…
*something about my kids names or phrases they say* mentioned by lots of you – i like the idea of this, but nothing has jumped out as “the one” just yet.

so there you have it! still undecided. maybe i should change the name of this blog to that – “undecided”! ha! but i need to make a decision quick because my incredible sister/graphic designer is able to get to work on a logo now, and maybe not for long, so keep the ideas coming!

oh, and jeannett, the reason why i’m changing names in the first place is because i don’t think i’d want to buy a product that was labeled “imperfect”, you know? it sounds too much like “flawed”. but i am a total imperfectionist and that may come through a bit in my work, not being totally anal about certain things. hmmm….

Comments

Lisa Leonard says:

I love girl on a red swing–or some variation of that. so, so fun!

Deborah W says:

Wow, I’m pleased you liked my suggestion! Now, to take it a little further, is perhaps the challenge….! I need to sleep on this…see if I come up with anything more in my sleep….! I do still like the idea that your creations are not precise and “perfect,” that’s what makes them so wonderful…I love things that are slightly askew, ha ha, what about “Practically Perfect” or “Slightly Askew?” I’ll try to come up with more….I’m glad YOU get to make the decision, not me!

Ok, so I’m totally going to join in on the fun. Work is slow anyways so I might as well! :-) I think Girl on a Red Swing is very cute too. Is that the actual title of a book? So here are the things that I’m coming up with in my head. They have nothing to do with sewing and are very very random!!! :-)

-Dahlia Daisy
    -Chichi Sugar Pea…or Peas, not sure
    -Pomegranate LuLu’s (I thought that it was cute how you call Lilly, LuLu)
    Along the same lines…being I have a preferance for bikes maybe something like…Girl on Two Wheels (your husband might like that one). I’m picturing a cute retro red bike or something with this one.

Anyways, how cool that you are having a complete site for your biz! So exciting. Great Job!!!

asnipofgoodness says:

I think you need something more funky…how’bout

flibbertigibbet…or
    moppet rock…or
    popsy sweep…or
    modern lassie…if you liked fresh picked, how about fresh plucked, or as a jumping off point pick your favorite fruit along with your favorite jewel such as peach pearl,or emerald apple or saphire lemon….that was fun. I am sure you will find the perfect name, that fits you like a T.

Ok, so this is my last go at this! :-)

First, how about something with “umbrella” in it. Not sure why. I love those pics where they have a bright colored umbrella and everything is black and white but the umbrella…it’s especially cool when you can’t even see the face of the kid…just their legs coming out from beneath the oversized umbrella. So, maybe something like with umbrella in it…I have not idea what

I also have this slightly weird cute image of a tiny girl with a thimble on her head. Maybe call her Thimble Lu. There is some art on etsy…one particular artist I think by the name of dazeychic (you can check her out to see what I mean). She does these simple sketches of things…like little girls and flowers. I love them. I’m picturing something similar to that. Sorry I gave the “image” I have that goes with the name…you can do whatever you want!!! :-) Ok…I’m so very done now that I’ve done the longest comment EVER!!!

What about using some form of your name… like Lind-Che’? And then incorporate a favorite graphic into your logo. I used a similar idea to name my business which is very much in it’s beginning stages. It’s going much slower than I had hoped but I’m very excited, just the same. Good luck with your new name and your new site!

Stephanie says:

I like the girl on the red swing idea but I would go more with something like “The Red Swing” or just “Red Swing.” Very cute! You could also change that to be “Red Umbrella,” “Purple Wagon Designs,” or something like that.

I love the pictures of the kids :)

Anonymous says:

How about “Funky Mama” Designs.

Anonymous says:

Girl on a red swing rocks…can do such an awesome pic/logo for that!

-Lily’s Grace
    -Little Red Wagon
    -Something with Lulu…
    -Daisy Chain
    -Outdoor Whimsy
    -Patchwork Garden or Garden Patch
    -Sitting Pretty
    -Poppy Fields

That was fun to think about today. =)

Jeff and Robin says:

Glad to hear that you like “Girl on the Red Swing”. It comes from a children’s book called “Everything on a Waffle”. It’s a Canadian book about a young girl (Primrose) who suffers through a loss (that she refuses to believe) and finds solace learning to cook in the kitchen of a restaurant called Girl on the Red Swing where they serve everything on a waffle instead of a plate. I won’t give the ending away in case you read it, but it’s a fabulous story about having the faith of a child and learning that family is those who love us whether they are blood or not. The best part of the book is that at the end of each chapter, the author includes a recipe that Primrose learned to make. After every chapter, you get to make a Canadian snack! I love it!

Check it out here: http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Waffle-Newbery-Honor-Book/dp/0374322368

(sorry for the long post… I’m honoured that you like the name!)

Melissa says:

I like the idea of Calamity Jane. That sounds cool. That way you can do what ever craft strikes your fancy and it wouldn’t matter! The name wouldn’t curtail your creativity by putting you in one genre.

MeganAnne says:

what about…
    Skipping Rope.

I can see this clearly with a silhouette of a little girl with a jump rope and some other color maybe red against a white background.

PS. I’ve been a lurker for sometime. I find your blog inspiring and love your style.

rex & molly stevens says:

i told you i was thinking about this yesterday so here is what i have come up with (my two cents at least). Because this is for a business, i think you should have something in there that describes a little about what you are selling (i.e.- designs or creations). When i see your boutique like creations and your style i think fresh, simple, crisp, and a little funky so i see what you are looking for in a name and also like the girl on a red swing concept (and somehow incorporating design in there)

additional thoughts are
    PAPER & CLOTH DESIGNS (in a really whimsical font)
    CHUNKY BUTTON DESIGNS

something simple like:
    BLOOM CREATIONS
    SPARKLE DESIGNS
    FRESH CUT CREATIONS

something with NEST in the title b/c your house makes me think bird’s nest.
    IF ANYTHING ELSE POPS in to mind, i will let you know.

Such a fun process, have fun with this.

rex & molly stevens says:

additional thoughts are
    PAPER & CLOTH DESIGNS (in a really whimsical font)
    CHUNKY BUTTON DESIGNS

something simple like:
    BLOOM CREATIONS
    SPARKLE DESIGNS
    FRESH CUT CREATIONS

something with NEST in the title b/c your house makes me think bird’s nest.
    IF ANYTHING ELSE POPS in to mind, i will let you know.

Such a fun process, have fun with this.

Kristen says:

love the pic’s – the one of silas is adorable. morgan has some thoughts on names for your business (pretty funny) so i will have her email them to you since i won’t let her get a google account to comment (she is only 8).

Shealynn Benner says:

What about a name that hints at what you make? That way people know that it’s sewn stuff or something…? LOL.

rachel trigueiro says:

So many great ideas on here for your business name! I’ve gotta say though, I love the name Imperfect for a business. It is raw, honest, and true. Actually, I would prefer to buy something from a place called “imperfect” rather than “perfect.” Because in reality, I know there is nothing perfect materialistically, so to flat-out say “imperfect,” is quite liberating! Maybe it’s that “go against the flow” thing that I love too…being the opposite of the norm is so refreshing! Calling a business “perfect” would be so predictable, while “Imperfect “is so catchy and intriguing. I picture it as my favorite boutique that I visit on vacation! :)Good luck with the business names!!