update on the boy

this update is mostly for family and friends. sorry if you’re hearing this first here – i just can’t call you all – there’s too many of you!

so a couple weeks ago silas was eating peanuts and he tripped and choked. not choked like he couldn’t breathe, but like he was coughing a lot. immediately after that he was wheezing and did for the last couple weeks. we called the dr. and he said to watch for fever or discomfort, neither of which we saw. but then last week he started coughing, so i became a bit concerned. we went to see the doc and she said she heard something in his throat. he was sent to the hospital immediately for xrays, which showed nothing. the doc still thought there was something to be concerned about so today we were sent to valley children’s hospital a couple hours from here to have a consultation with a pediatric pulminologist. he heard nothing. the wheeze was gone. good right? not neccesarily. he said it (whatever was causing the problem initially – peanut?) may still be there. so he recommended a bronchoscopy (?). that’s where they put silas under and put a scope down his throat looking for the problem point, then remove said problem. outpatient procedure. so thats what we’re doing. we had the option to wait it out, but knew that it still left the risk of infection if left untreated. silas will have this done on thursday at 11a.m. we have to get there early for the i.v. and all the prep stuff, then we should be done around noon or so. we’d appreciate your prayers for our boy. i’m not too concerned, because it is fairly minor. but as we have gone through this stuff today i have realized some things:
– i am so thankful to have healthy children
– i am so thankful to not be familiar with the children’s hospital as so many familes that spend days, weeks, months and years there
– silas is at an age where he has no idea whats happening, thankfully, and he isn’t afraid
– the thought of putting him “under” scares me
– it is very hard to hold my son, but know that in the end he is not mine. he belongs to God and i need to have a loose grip on him. so hard for me to do

Comments

I will definitely be praying for your beautiful little guy. Isn’t it amazing how quickly your perspective on life can change from one day to the next- praise God that He is in control and with you during this time. Keep us updated…

Poor Silas.. very scary stuff. You will be in our prayers, it’s tough to watch such little ones go through procedures! Hang in there!
    b

I know how scary this is for you. Hugs! I know it’s very hard to go through this process with your little one. God is holding you guys close and giving you comfort. Plus, Valley Children’s Hospital is a WONDERFUL place. I miss it(we are native Fresnans). It was a blessing for us with all 4 of our children. I’ve had all three had to be admitted at one time or another. BIG HUGS to you. The care he’ll get there is just awesome.

I bet that must have been so scary. I hope that everything turns out ok. I will be thinking and praying for your little boy. By the way I don’t comment much but I check your blog daily. Keep up the good work.

Penny Malley says:

So… they think the peanut is what is stuck somewhere inside him? whoah. what a freaky thing to happen. i’ve heard of kids sticking them up their noses, but this is a first. I will definitely be keeping you all in my prayers this week. If you need any help with the girls, etc. please let me know.

Carrie Haughey says:

aw, little man! I will be praying for you all!

thanks for the update so we can be praying… poor guy.

Jeannett Gibson says:

Aw blech! I am so so sorry. I don’t care what those doctors say…and I don’t care how outpatient it is…when it’s YOUR baby boy it’s a BIG stinking deal! Crazy story…at first though I thought you were going to say that he had a peanut allergy and that is NO FUN. Praying for you guys.

we’ll be praying and esther sends silas a big wet kiss!

hard for all mommy’s to do.. loose the grip.
    may God speak His peace over you, and have His mighty, yet Father hand on Silas (and you).

My thoughts and prayers for your sweet little boy.

its tough, but it seems like your outlook is amazing. i had to see ash go under a few times. it is scary… no matter how prepared you are… if you need and ear or a shoulder i am here for you. we are definitely praying for silas.

My daughter Sophia had that same procedure to remove a penny that decided to get stuck. She was only down in surgery for 30 min. total. It goes so quick! She was almost 2 at the time.

I will pray for you & your boy.

i pray that it will be a fast and successful procedure and that His perfect love will cast out all fear.

We will continue to pray. I’m sorry that it wasn’t as cut and dry,and that you have to go back.

My Parent Participation leader from way back in the day had something like that happen to her son, too. Freaky to think that a tiny thing could also cause problems. (Her son had a tiny piece of eraser get in his lungs. Yikes!)

Andrew swallowed two pennies and had to have this done too. I’ll keep watching here for updates. Little Silas is in my prayers!! XOXO

I love your blog site and all of your creations, but only comment now and then. It is scary as a parent to go through something like that, especially having to go under anesthesia. My son had some issues as a little guy, too, and he had to be put out for a procedure. He was just fine, and still is fine 21 years later. God bless you and your family.

Brenda Williams says:

We’ll be praying for you! No procedure is “minor” when it is your baby.
    Take care, and keep us posted!

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

We’ll be praying for the tough little guy!

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

We’ll be praying for the tough little guy!

We’ll be praying for Silas and for you guys. Hang in there-these moments in life are tough, but God is good and we trust in His sovereignty and loving care. We love you guys!

I already said a prayer for Silas. My 15 year old son is also having a procedure Thursday….an Endoscopy. As I pray for my boy I’ll include Silas too !! I hope they will both be alright with a great recovery.

Stephanie says:

Prayers are coming for your precious boy!

Anonymous says:

I will praying long & hard for everything to go smoothly. I'm sure things will be fine. Please keep us all up to date.
    Love and hugs to you all
    Tracy

Jacquelyn says:

Can’t wait to hear how the procedure went!

Soderin Family says:

we will be praying lindsey!