a cupcake party

lily turned 3 last month and we had a small, belated party for her last weekend.

the decorations were simple and inexpensive, basically just things we had lying around the house. the table was covered in a plastic tablecloth to protect the table from spills, then covered again in white butcher paper. i punched 1″ circles from scrap papers and sprinkled them around for a little extra color.

i took simple curling ribbon and draped lengths of it from my chandelier. also on the table, we traced cupcakes so when the kids first arrived they could color a cupcake on the table. silver pails of crayons were set out every couple seats.

i made a simple garland to hang behind the table on these shelves. i took the same circles i had punched for the table and sandwiched a string of embroidery floss with double sided tape between them.

each of the kids got to decorate their own cupcake with frosting and sprinkles.

some of the cupcakes had well over an inch of frosting on them!

here’s the birthday girl with a cupcake candle (thanks auntie j!).

we played one game of “pin the cherry on the cupcake” – perfect for this age! lily thought being blindfolded was hilarious and had so much fun with this game.

i just used scrapbook paper for the cupcake and construction paper for the cherries.

all in all, the birthday girl was very happy!

Comments

this is super cute lindsey! i love the pin the cherry on the cupcake.

i am sure seeing those kids decorate their own frosting was a real treat – lots of frosting and sprinkles

i may steal some ideas for mauryn’s party for next year- so so cute!

so cute! love the cupcake theme. pin the cherry on the cupcake was adorable! very cute and simple ideas for decorating. do you mind if i steal a couple of them??

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

Cute! I love that garland especially.

Joyful Weddings & Events says:

Cute! I love that garland especially.

Too cute! Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas for LAME-O people like me! :)

Sara@ Butterville says:

What a clever clever theme!
    Love the pin the cherry on the cupcake! You are so talented.

Lisa Leonard says:

darling!! you are making me hungry for cupcakes!!

I have always loved your parties so much and wish I could do parties for a living!!! This simple one was so great and perfect. I love all of it!!!

You are so darn creative! What an adorable party!

What a beautiful party. Thanks for the inspiration!

So clever! And i love that you mostly used items you already had around the house.

Man, one of my co-workers could learn a thing or two from you, ha ha. She made a HUGE deal out of her son’s first bday a few weeks ago, so we all showed up. There was ONE balloon tied to the table, and that’s where the decorations ended. :) The food included hot dogs that had been cooked several hours earlier, stale chips (no dip), and juice boxes. It was a pretty dismal effort, especially considering her son received hundreds of dollars in gifts. Oh well!

linds… it looks so amazing. i love all the fun! glad lily loved it.

jenniferandrews says:

I found your blog from the pleated poppy, and from minnesotamom – I LOVE all your crafty stuff! So much fun, and so inspiring :-) Makes me realize how much I miss scrapbooking. I will definitely add you to my must read blog list :-)

Sharon Simons says:

I love reading your blog. The cupcake party is precious. Did you ever put your son’s carnival party on ebay as “party in a box”? I kept checking but never found it. I am interested if it is not already history. Thanks!

What a perfectly simple party! I love how you can throw anything together at the last minute with limited supplies. You’re so creative!

jenna – steal away! i’m sure my ideas were borrowed from somewhere. there’s very rarely an original idea around here.

sharon – my girlfriend that i shared the party supplies with was able to sell it to a friend of hers, so we didn’t even have to go thru the hassle of listing it. good for us, bummer for you – sorry! we’re thinking about doing something like that again, though.

carissa... brown eyed fox says:

soooo neat! PERFECT part! clever as ever!
    i love all your fun touches… and
    my word… Lily is precious!

happy belated to your little gal!

That sounds like an awesome party. Maybe I can convince my husband to throw me one for my 26th birthday… ;)

Love the whole decorate your own cupcake idea! What a cute party!

How Darling. Happy Birthday, Lily!

I love this idea! my daughter’s birthday is Nov 10 and I need indoor party ideas!!
    can’t wait until next november!