guest blogger: nicole

so, this is is me …wife to ricky,

mama to tyler,

drew,

and hawken

… umbilical cord and life source to baby #4,

and best friend to lindsey. thanks for my “love letter” linds…you make me sound worthy of the title of your BFF.

i have promised to do this guest blogger thing for a bit now…scared of learning the process and afraid that i wouldn’t be able to follow through, but here we go! it is now or never as i approach my nesting season. i am naturally a nester but being prego kicks me into high gear. here are a few things my hubby will find me doing over the next nesting months…
1. Sorting the utensil drawer
2. Cleaning the condiment lids in the fridge (that stickiness gunk drives a nester crazy)
3. Smelling all of the towels in the linen closet to see if any should be trashed….you know that “old towel” smell….ughhhhh
4. Organizing the attic. I actually went through 5 years of baby girl clothes and 3 years of boy clothes this past weekend. It felt so good. I found some treasures for little miss lily may
5. Plucking my eyebrows as often as I can bring myself to look in the mirror
6. Organizing old Martha Stewart mags by month and season
7. Reading my Bible as often as I can (as if I will never have time to read again)
8. Planting a vegetable garden with my soon to be kindergartener (sniff, sniff)
9. Clipping everyone’s nails way too often (believe it or not, my boys love this)
10. Making lists of all the things my hubby must finish on the house before this baby comes

so, you see i am a bit neurotic…i am one of those people that cannot do things last minute. ms. “IMPERFECT” works best that way. we are similar in many, many ways but also very different. my house is always a mess but i can’t think straight unless i know what is for dinner. lindsey’s house…equally messy but at 4:30 pm she still hasn’t looked in the fridge to see what’s cookin’. we are same…but different…but those differences make our friendship better!

all of this leads me to my first little show-and-tell project. my need to get things done ahead of time is sometimes advantageous. while my hubby spent last winter building our house, i spent the winter months making pretty things to fill the house with. one of my fave projects was my five year old, tyler’s bedroom pillows. she didn’t even have drywall in her bedroom at the new house when i was sewing these little guys. she is a girly, girly, GIRLY girl with lots of input. we did these “together”. most of the time she was asking why we had to use any green fabric (after all, it is a boy color). miss tyler bella has the bed I dreamed of as a little girl…check these out.

check out the snow outside the window! she has the best view in the house.

layers of petals stitched down…rough edges…i am planning to put a covered button in the middle. the yellow button is too bright.

very messy ruffles stitched down…tyler’s favorite pillow

simple and clean with a “tufted” button center

scalloped scissors on narrow stripes on the sides…scrappy mama and baby bird taking flight

LOVE the turq pom pom trim…found it at a flea market. the red stripe is corduroy…i love to change up the texture

tyler totally disapproves of this one when it is on its own…no pink at all mommy? but it looks great with the others.

inspired from an anthropologie piece of wall art…those folks at anthro always make me look more creative than i am

i love the flowers stitched on the base…and the repeat of the birdie

a bit boring but hearts are always a hit around here

all of the backs are really fun too. you see the heart one here. most are just what i had left of the fabric…all scrapped together. fabric conservation at its best!

sorry for my oh-so-long winded post! she said I was chatty…she doesn’t lie. see ya next week.

:) nicole

sneak peek for next week…

Comments

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row says:

So excited for these posts – I’ve been staring/studying the family rules sign for about 20 minutes now! Love the pillows, I’m totally going to make a ruffle one this weekend!

simply nikki says:

Great post, love the pillows. Very excited to see next week! =)

Love the pillows! :)

your both excessive nail clippers, aghhh!!!!

but i forgave nicole and even felt love for her when she said she cleans the gunky condiment lids. that’s a girl after my own heart.

look forward to the next post.

and lindsey while your not posting at your place i think you could guest post at mine :-)

Stephanie says:

Adorable pillows – I love the ruffle one, too – sewing them drive me insane so I’ll enjoy yours instead! Great to “meet” you and your beautiful family!

little wash wash says:

WOW! For your first time you are a very good blogger. I already like your “craftiness”. I can’t wait to read more!!

Mama Mote says:

Glad to meet you, Nicole. You and Lindsey are actually making me itch to get back into crafting. Or to start up my scrapbooking. Or something. Love the pillows and that view from your daughter’s window is beautiful. Looking forward to more from both of you.

Anonymous says:

Love your guest blog! Any chance of pointing a non sewer in the right direction on how to make pillows? Also staring at your family rules sign….please post with a tutorial…or a for sale tag! :)

Kristin Sellars says:

I love all the pillows!! SO cute! And I can’t wait to see how you made the family rules…

Welcome!! So glad that you are here. I want to plop down with my sewing machine and replicate every single pillow. Gorgeous and brilliant and yummy. Anthro should be ringing you up right now!

Hi Nicole, your pillows are AMAZING. I wish I could do something like that but I’m just not that clever :P

rae events says:

loooooove those pillows!!!!!!!!!!!

Fun, fun, fun! What a treat to look into the life of this special lady – AND to see her cratfs!

I am just going to have to make some pillows. It is something I’ve wanted to do for a while, but seeing these makes me think I can do SOMETHING while I’m waiting for my house to finished! And, I’m sure I’ve got scraps that are begging to be used for something cute like these. Questions is, where to put them?!

Ashley @ Domestic Fashionista says:

HOw cute are those! I am going to have to try to invent some of my own!

I can’t wait to see the finished Family Rules project. I love the round flower pillow especially! Was is hand stuffed or done over a premade one?

The pillow was a pre-stuffed, purchsed pillow and i just did an exposed sloppy stitch and seam. it is messy and slightly unravelled…just like the rest of my house!

Your pillows are just beautiful! I think the ruffle one is my favorite too … I want to learn to sew just so I can make one! :o) Looking forward to the family rules one too ….