announcing…..

i’ve been pretty quiet about this big news around here.
i don’t think i’ve even really let it slip much.
only a few close friends know.
for a little while now,
i’ve been expecting…

yesterday, we welcomed a little brother into our family!

and today,
we’re sending him back.
what?! are you serious?! you thought i was pregnant?! nope, i just ordered myself a new sewing machine from costco (“brother” brand). i was woo’ed by the low price of $119 and the 77 stitch functions, but was really taken with the ability to drop the feed dogs. however, this machine is cheap in every sense of the word. i sewed with it last night for about 15 minutes and my decision was made. this machine stinks! i don’t even know if i’d recommend it for a beginner.

so, back to the drawing board. i need a new machine. not just want, but need. i’ve found lots of ways already to justify it and move it up into the need category. how do you try out machines, or know which one is good? i don’t need the mercedes benz of sewing machines, just something good quality that will last and not constantly break the thread. anyone have any suggestions?

sorry about the tease. i couldn’t resist!

Comments

Jeannett Gibson says:

You had my mouth gaping open…!!! I’m a sucker. And you suck.

yes! i got at least one of you!

Holy Hannah! I have felt your pain. Last summer I went hunting for a machine.

You can read about it here:

Keep hunting, good luck, I’m rooting for you!

ugh. you got me too!
    My mum has been sewing forever and used to sell a lot of children’s clothes. She isn’t a fan of computerized machines (though I own one, anyway) and she says you can never go wrong with a Bernina or a Viking… but I’m sure that someone can give you specifics :)

Hee hee! Good one. Thanks for the input….I want a new machine…and I had looked at that one. Keep us posted on what you replace it with.

I have a Bernina and I love it. The people there are very helpful and they even have a “get to know your machine” class, although I never took it. Check if there is a dealer near you, mine’s inside a JoAnn’s. They have machines, sergers, and embroadiery machines all set up that you can test, and in all price catagories also.

I’m in your shoes. I decided to repair mine but hope to replace it in the next year or so. Look on line. Test the ones in shops. Good luck!

i feel ya on the machine hunt. i ended up getting a Athena singer from HSN: http://crafts-sewing.hsn.com/singer-athena-electronic-sewing-machine-and-value-pack_p-4624360_xp.aspx and i actually really love it. it was a great price, even cheaper then what they are selling it for now and it came with so many extras. i wasn’t thrilled about getting a singer, i hadn’t heard great things about the new generations of singers, but i must say its done everything i’ve needed it to. i work on my machine at least 2-3 hours per day, sew through multiple layers of thick cotton canvas duck and cotton webbing for my bags and it sews like a dream. i would’ve liked something a little more “heavy duty” but that may be my next machine. what i also liked about HSN is that you have 30 days to return it so i figured i had nothing to lose. you should go to your local sew-n-vac and try out machines, but they will convince you that you need the biggest and the baddest. good luck lindsey! and you did almost get me about he “announcement” ;)

Vanessa {Bloom Right Here!} says:

I sew on a Bernina that is probably close to 30 years old. There is nothing fancy about it, but it works great. My mom has always had a Bernina and that is what my Grandma always had.

So sorry that machine was junk. If you like mine, it’s from Walmart. Just a thought.

Lisa Lewis says:

One word–CottonBall

I have a Viking and I love it… it was a surprise from my husband (sweet, huh?). They come in all different price ranges. But before that I used to sew on my mom’s Singer and it worked well.

julie & joe says:

I have a Singer that is older than me. I really like Bernina, too. I’d go to a local store and try then out. Most of the dealers around here have machines set up that you can try out.

julie & joe says:

I’m a monogrammer, so I have a sewing and embroidery machine, which you don’t need. But my suggestion is to find a GOOD sewing machine shop near you that does the repairs in-house and has someone you can talk to with problems. Even if it’s not the closest or cheapest place to buy the machine, it’s SO worth it if you have questions or problems. I have a Janome and love it, and will be buying a much simpler Janome for my five year old daughter for Christmas, I think. (Plus, then I can “borrow” it when I want to do some sewing with friends!)

Bahama Shores Mama says:

where was this post last year as I bought THIS exact machine from Walmart. I’m a beginner self/taught and thought it was user error. Please keep posting about your hunt for a decent sewing machine so I can save my $$$ and justify a new machine.

Jeannett Gibson says:

You know, they have a Sewing Super Store or something like that here in Santa Maria…on Main across from the “mall”…you could hitch a ride down and check out what they have…and then we can do lunch! :)

kaylin rose and mara anne says:

you had me too…i couldn’t believe it and was so excited for you!

the sewing machine…i need a new one too. love my old viking, but it doesn’t even have a zig-zag stitch on it, can you believe that? i have no idea what to get, so i am of new help…i don’t want to spend a ton of money on a new one either, because the one i have is wonderful, i just need a few more stitches to be really creative and do a few more details.

good luck and once you find a good one, please share!

You got me too. At the JoAnns by my home they have sewing machines all set up so you can test them, I dont know if this is a special JoAnns or what but there is even a lady ready to help (sell) you a machince. Good LUck

gosh, you guys are all so helpful! keep the suggestions coming.

unfortunately, my town is just small enough that we don’t have a joann’s within a couple hours of us, otherwise i’d be there in a heartbeat. and our local machine shop, i believe, closed down a few years ago. there are a couple other suggestions you gave that i’ll try out. i’m just really afraid of the cost. i know good machines are expensive, but i just can’t fork over hundreds of dollars. thanks for all of your input!

Hopskotch Kids says:

Hi Lindsey,
    The cotton ball in morro bay has sewing machines…Im pretty sure that you can test drive them. Good luck my crafty friend!
    xoxo, Mignon

Mrs. Jones says:

I bought one of those at Costco a few years back, and it was a complete piece of junk. I HATED it. It’s a good thing you returned it.

~Heather

girlsmama says:

I love my Baby Lock Espire! Their sergers are amazing and their line of sewing machines are wonderful. I tried both Bernina and Pfaff before I bought and surprised myself that I liked the Baby Lock better.

that’s too funny!

i have a kenmore machine. it’s a pretty basic machine . . . it has enough stitches for me and it does button holes. i love it!!! i have had it for at least 8 years and have never had a problem with it! i don’t sew everyday but it has been used a lot and been used a lot on big bedding projects. i haven’t even taken it in to be serviced. it was bday gift from my parents . . . and i’m pretty sure it was from sears.

Shealynn Benner says:

Singer Confidence!! EXCELLENT machine, and $200! I have one, as well as a Singer Futura embroidery machine. The confidence was bought as a back up. I LOVE it!

You almost had me.

My mom loves her husquvarna/viking, but I love Singers, except they can be duds.

Tuesday Morning had the Singer Curvy for less than $150. It got good reviews on Joann’s website.

Tuesday Morning also had a fancier Singer up high on the shelf above the crafts. It was a little more expensive, but it’s a place to start.

I went to a JoAnn Fabrics store that sold machines and they let me try them all out before picking one.

mommymimi says:

i have a new home and i love it! p.s. i LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog! and all your stuff! you are so creative!!!! xo

i was onto you from the beginning, but beware little jokes like that comeback to bite you in the belly!
    that’s a brother you won’t be able to send back.

i like my Singer, because i am one :-)

You were almost in so much trouble sister!!!!!!!!!! Esp. cuz talk to Sean so much now!!!!

Lisa Stone says:

I’m with Emily. I have a Kenmore from Sears and it sews so smoothly. I would highly recommend it. It is a fairly basic model that is 10 years old, but it is reliable, fun to use and very smooth.

Hi
    I found your blog through Lisa Leonard. I love your creations! I’ve been looking on overstock for a while, and am debating on this machine. It might be worth you checking it out. God bless :)
    Judi

i am so glad you posted about the sewing machine. i had been saving up my “blow money” (thanks fpu) to buy that one. i will definitely be waiting and looking for something else. keep us posted on your search!

I’m so sorry! I bought this exact one and I love it. Maybe you got a dud. bummer. :( I hope you find one you like.

thursday says:

Good to know about this machine! I’m looking for a good one too…

Rachel Shoemaker says:

I have a bernina and it is amazing! I highly recommend it. I just have the basic Bernina but it works wonderfully and with the 20 warrenty it is worth the money. Best of luck!

lindsey,
    my parents own a sewing store here in vermont..have been selling/servicing machines for over 30years.
    anyhow, forEVER sold bernina, viking (and still do)
    however, they now have added NECCHI machines and they are very pleased with them, and their quality. my dad is especially particular about what he sells and is quite pleased with the NECCHI.
    so, theres some info. two models he has are btwn 250-299. i think, like all things, there are more expensive models as well. hope this helps!

I have a Bernina too. I love it. The truth? My husband bought my Bernina for me as a WEDDING GIFT on April 10th of 1994, almost fifteen years ago. My machine is still working as beautifully as it did on that first day, with little tune-ups and it’s never broken my thread. It was 1000.00 when he bought it (I know. Expensive. But it was a floor model and was normally much more, so I felt it was worth it). It was THE best purchase. It’s made curtains, little boys cute shorts, little girls dresses and capri pants, it’s embelled overalls, fixed many a ripped something-or-other and made me very happy every time I pulled her out to work.

I don’t know what my model would be today, price-wise, but the truth is that no one I’ve ever known has had issues with their Bernina’s, floor model or brand-spankin’ new. I think it’s a great investment and one you’ll be happy with… fifteen years and counting from now. :)

Love your work!
    Sincerely,
    laurie eller

ps: I found one that looks like mine, although mine has an "arm" that hooks at the end of the sewing machine and you can use your leg, giving you a free hand, kinda handy. anyway, here's the link to show you the one I have. :)

THis site has some of the nicest machines at the best prices. I wanted a Janome so I checked them out at a few of the sewing shops then compared prices. As much as I like to support local business this internet site sells my machine $400 less than the stores! I couldn’t pass that kind of savings up! Happy hunting for that perfect machine:-) Check out http://www.sew4ever.com