my best friend nicole is preggers with baby #4, boy #3, so while we were together this weekend we focused a bit of our time on the bedding for this little guy. we were able to hit a few fabric stores and that got us started.
nicole had a vision that i just wasn’t seeing, but it all came out great in the end. she has a collection of old license plates that she’s planning on hanging in her boy’s room and wanted to do the quilt in all greens to compliment the plates.
she ended up going with kelly green, lime green, olive green, turquoise, black and brown. i never would have put black and brown together, but it really worked. the fun thing about doing a quilt with nicole is that she opens my eyes to things i wouldn’t choose on my own, so it pushes me to be creative outside the box.
so the first step was to get fabric. we went a little crazy and got a lot more fabric than she actually needed, but we were in a hurry and had limited time, so we basically chose any fabric that we liked in the colors she was going for and got 1/8 yard of it.
then we settled on a strip quilt and started laying the fabric out in the order we thought looked best, trying to balance all the colors and patterns. after we settled on that and still removed even more fabric, we started to cut each piece down to size. each piece is a random width, some skinny, some fat, some in between.