guest blogger nicole: what’s cookin’?

the kitchen it is!
I am married to a builder and he built most of our house after work hours and on weekends last year. He let me design it, obsess about it, change things as we went, and never once questioned my wacky ideas. The kitchen is the hub…the gathering place…where all things go down (unfortunately, not enough veggies). Lately, with the depressed economy (no bueno when you are a “building family“ growing in size) we have discussed selling this beautiful dream of ours. My latest plea is that we can all live in the kitchen and rent out of the rest of the house…hee hee. That is how much I love this kitchen…I could sleep here.
Before I go on…WARNING: STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION! We still have a lot to do here so be patient….surprisingly enough, I have been. I hardly think about the unfinished elements of this kitchen anymore.

THE VIEW: from the living room

THE ISLAND: turquoise (really turquoise), distressed, and big enough for a family of 6 to dine here (ignore the unfinished paint on the dishwasher drawers…please)

THE STOOLS: 01, 02, 03, 04 , 05, 06 …a little pottery barn inspiration + an inexpensive target stool + a can of spray paint + the perfect stencil from linds = my silly stools

THE STOVE: vintage inspired…my biggest splurge in the house. It is a Heartland Legend Series. THE BRICK: I love old brick!

THE CABINETS: these drive me batty close-up because they were built so terribly but they are pretty far away

THE PANTRY: wide and shallow…the best use of space (props to Lindsey and Sean who designed them). i magnetic and chalked painted them.

THE COUNTERTOP: honed marble (crema marfil)…a total kitchen no-no. it etches, ages, and shows everything but guess what? I knew it and did it anyway…I love it more each day and each etch.

THE SINK: big enough to fit all 3 of my kiddos! Sort of! I cannot wait to bathe my new babe in here!

hawken loves it…he’s my baby now
THE DESK: it is called a secret drawer desk (18 drawers in all) …they are hardly secrets to the kids though. Tyler has a drawer of dried leaves and another for stickers from the pediatrician’s office, drew has one for his favorite bubblegum, and hawken knows where a stash of quarters is for daddy’s jelly belly machine. that pass-thru above leads to the playroom…we’ll visit there another day. right now the kids are thrashing it and letting mommy take pics of the kitchen.
FOR THE LIGHTING LOVERS: these are rejuvenation knock-offs! the company we bought them from is called Hudson Valley Lighting (i think).

THE DETAILS: a friend gave me this towel bar as a house warming gift…i love the little things

REALITY: what it really looks around here

I am super grateful for this kitchen…I love to cook and entertain and it has been all I had hoped it would be. People hardly ever sit on my couch…we all gather here. When we let them, the kids ride their skateboards and bikes around the island….yes, our hardwood floors are already distressed!

thanks for coming with me…and giving me an excuse to clean the kitchen! wouldn’t one of lindsey’s tea towels look perfect in here? see ya next week!

:)nicole

Comments

little wash wash says:

I am going to move in w/you so get ready…I LOVE your kitchen. That be would be my dream kitchen. Do not sell your house if at all possible. It looks to cozy and warm for yall to leave!
    We re-did our kitchen but it looks nothing like that. You have given me ideas to keep going though!

I have some SERIOUS kitchen envy going on here. I think this is my perfect kitchen. I love love love the turquoise island, the huge sink, the cabinets, oh, all of it! You designed it perfectly. I have been ripping pages out of magazines for little rooms or ideas I like for my (hopefully one day) new home, so I think I will tag this, if you don’t mind! Gorgeous!

that is beautiful. i’m speechless and trying very hard not to covet.

Anonymous says:

what are your wall colors in these photos???

the walls are pottery barn’s latte. (i used the swatch to mix it up at the paint store with a less expensive paint)… the bead board back splash is from the devine line…only available in central oregon (i think) and it is olive. my island is a super bright concoction (if you really want this one, i might be able to find it)… mellowed out a bit by distressing and a dirty brown antiqueing. thanks to everyone for your kind words…if you were local, i would have you over for dinner!

i meant restoration hardware…not pottery barn

FABULOUS!!!! Drooling…LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that kitchen!

I’m shocked at how much i LOVE your turquoise island! I NEVER would have thought to paint it that color – it looks FABULOUS!! I’m tagging these pics to add to my wish list. :o)

As for your hubby being out of work, I’m so sorry! My dad is a General Contractor and Developer … he’s been out of work for a year in Florida (the construction industry there always seems to feel the recessions first). He just got a job as a contractor in Iraq and we all feel SO lucky he has that job!! It’s not ideal but he’s adjusting to it … and at least it’s something while the economy recovers. It’s just my Dad and my mom now but he is meeting guys over there who have left young families (4 months in Iraq for 10 days vacation – that has to be rough!). It’s just really tough right now in the construction industry! Hang in there!!! I really hope you don’t have to sell your beautiful house!

SoSoBella Designs says:

Your kitchen is just wonderful :O)

I LOVE your kitchen! We’re trying to redo our island to accomodate stools. How much counter overhang did you leave for your stools?

Thanks :)

I really like your kitchen. It has everything i want. I really love everything about the kitchen. My favorite color is turquoise. I cant wait to see the basement.

rae events says:

absolutely GORGEOUS. i am completely in love with that island and everything in that kitchen. fabulous job!! i have one question–the wood under the sink, is it the same color as the rest of the island? it looks green, but maybe it’s just the lighting in the picture? would love to know. thanks.

WOW! That is beautiful! I love everything about it!

Nicole, I think you need to have a blog…it looks like you have tons of great ideas!

Nicole: please tell me you have a blog?

Nicole, Can we see more of your gorgeous house? I love your style!

Danielle says:

Wow. I we just re-did our kitchen but yours just blows me out of the water. Just gorgous. I wish my husband would let me do exactly what I wanted.

I really hope you don’t have to sell. It’s big. It’s functionable and oh so cute!!

That’s my dream kitchen…

lindsey says:

i keep telling nicole to start her own blog, but she never does! she says she doesn’t have time, and as you can see by her craft projects and her growing brood, she doesn’t. but thankfully i’ve roped her into this for awhile, at least until we’ve seen her whole house and every craft project in it!

WOW…that is my dream kitchen…you are SUPER lucky!!!

I could live in your kitchen! It’s actually the same exact colors I want in mine! (I have brick floors and wasn’t sure how that light green/turquoise color would look together – but I’m loving it)

an over hang on a kitchen island should be a minium of 12″…up to 16″ to accommodate barstools.

the turq is the same every where on the island…except those unpainted spots! :)

no blog for me…no way (i would get way too sucked in)…i’ll stick to visiting you once a week! thanks for the vote of confidence though! :)

That is such an amazing kitchen. It’s so cool that you designed it yourself! I really love the numbers on the stools! How creative.

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love says:

Love the stools and will do that in my kitchen too!

awesome kitchen :) I am new here btw

That is one beautiful kitchen! Every little detail has been taken care of. The range is amazing. Of course, I love the family island.

Your kitchen is beautiful, and it’s such a wonderful place for your children!
    I would love for you to explain how you did the island! I have a bench that I would love to make look like it!
    Also, I am thinking of painting my kitchen cabinets white. Some people have said that they would get so dirty bc I have four children too. I thought that you would be the PERFECT person to ask. Are they practical?

Magic Brush says:

Wow… how practical and beautiful at the same time! I recently did a post on “island envy”…. I soooooo wish I had an island. Blessings!

Flower Patch Farmgirl says:

I adore your kitchen! Having said that – it reminds me a lot of mine. :) I have the stenciled seats and turquoise island, too. And, a similar floor. Thank you for using white appliances!! Ugh – I get so sick of only seeing stainless steel in mags. And thanks also for the Rejuvenation rip-off idea! I scoured their catalogs and found something similar on ebay for MUCH cheaper. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful home with us!

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage says:

That is one.incredible.kitchen! I could live in that one room too.

I’ll have to go check out Nicole’s blog.

I love your blog too by the way. It’s so darn pretty!

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage says:

Wait, does Nicole have a blog? I can’t find a link.

Lindsey – I’m glad I found your blog by the way.

Have a great Easter!

nope, she doesn’t have a blog – we just have to enjoy her here!

Courtney says:

came over from the inspired room and so glad I did. love your blog. I am following it now. We recently remodeled our kitchen. Its still a shoebox, but I love that’s entirely new. You kitchen is beautiful. I coveted it’s space and that sink!

awesome job!

While I love your whole kitchen it is the island I am most envious of. No room in my kitchen for such a fabulous wonder.

Oh my gosh- kitchen love at first sight! And so many little ideas to steal, um, borrow– the stools, the doors, the counter top- the list goes on… gorgeous!

smalltownidyll says:

Kitchen envy doesn’t even begin to cover it!!!! I think this is one of the best kitchens I’ve ever seen….and that sink is to die for! I really hope you don’t have to sell your house….fingers and toes crossed for you :)

It’s wonderful – absolutely wonderful. Enjoy!

Congratulations on your gorgeous kitchen! What an inspiration!

everyday inspirations says:

LOVE all the posts of your house – a complete eclectic style (which I LOVE sooo much) and you've done it perfectly. Such talent you have – thanks for sharing your pics.

QUESTION – in the second photo inbetween the shutter looking item (across from the counter that houses the micro) – yes, I've studied these awesome photos – what are all the colored things on the wall? Are those signs? Would love to see a closeup of that or have a description…I'm dying to know what it is.

Thanks Lindsey for sharing Nicole with the world – your blog rocks too!

nicole,
    what is the flooring you have here? is it the same as lindsays flooring? (omg i sound like i know you two ;))? i think i found hers is some type of maple with walnut stain??

This kitchen just made my heart skip a beat, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

Liz Tuliau says:

What is the height of your island? I need to finalize my island shape this week and just came across yours….i love it.

Liz

I have learn some excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting.
    I surprise how a lot effort you place to make this kind of wonderful informative web site.

After I initially commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a
    comment is added I recieve 4 emails with the exact same comment.
    Is there an easy method you are able to remove
    me from that service? Kudos!

Hi there it’s me, I am also visiting this web site on a regular basis,
    this site is truly nice and the viewers are actually sharing nice thoughts.