most frequently asked question

yes, i do many things.
i have 3 small kids.
i home school part-time.
i run a business.
i throw parties.

but…
i burn the candle at both ends.
i don’t sleep enough.
i don’t give 100% in many areas.

hopefully this will give you a better understanding of how i actually get it all done.

i don’t.
i don’t do it all.
something always has to give.
right now my house is a mess.

i try to cook every night for my family, but after i took these pictures i ordered pizza online.

i’ve been cleaning/organizing/purging for a few hours now, and i’m still only on the playroom.

i have a long way to go.
next time you see this place
it will be clean
organized
and PINK!

just you wait.

oh, do you have any other questions for me, other than how do i do it all?
it can be totally random
or sewing questions
or fabric questions
or breastfeeding questions (no! i’m not still doing it!).
anything.

Comments

love.. love.. love your honesty and the fact that you would actually post pictures of what most of our houses look like most all of the time b/c we have small kids and we enjoy pursuing our passions. (sewing for me) thanks for making me feel normal. i’m pregnant with #4 and have 2 boys that are about to be out of school for the summer and one 3 year old girl who thinks she rules the world. I’ve got to start working on the nursery or it will never be finished before the newest addition arrives… busy, busy, busy.. but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Dawn-Hydrangea Home says:

Perfect post! Looks like my house right now. And Friday is my cleaning day but I have no time for that today or this weekend! I get asked the same question all the time, and the answer is I don’t. One of these days, the kids will be out of the house and there won’t be any more messes to clean up. What will we do with ourselves? Create all day!

Belinda says:

Girl I am so with you. I feel the same way .When is that merry maid going to show up. I have been calling her for years. Have a great day & mothers day as well.Even Super Woman needed a break.

Thank you for sharing those photos!!! I feel SO much better now…off to tackle the studio…and the playroom…and the kitchen…and the ….

Blessings!

When we brought the children home, the most common comments were 1) they grow so fast and 2) enjoy them – the housework can wait. I love your pictures!! My house looks the same way. I am starting a new pajamas as daywear trend, too.

mary elizabeth says:

hi de-lurking myself to say your honesty is refreshing! love your blog :D

Mrs. Jones says:

You’re a good friend for posting those pictures. My house is in the same state right now.

So my question is a simple one. When you do you sew? After the kiddos are in bed, in the afternoon …

Thanks for keeping it real,

Heather

KChristensen says:

I love your honesty! I can’t wait until I have kids and my house can look like that for a reason other than my own lack of motivation to keep my house clean. I do have a question for you. I am wanting to learn to sew and am unsure of where to start or what to start with. Do you have any suggestions of easy patterns or projects to tackle in order to get me in the wonderful world of sewing? I have zero experience but I think it could be something I really love. First step…buying a machine, but then I can’t wait to go buy beautiful fabric to create wonderful projects.

TRICIA @boutellefamilyzoo says:

Can I just say that seeing a family’s home in it’s eveyday, sometimes crazy form is so much better than a perfectly staged house sometimes. Everybody wants their home to be beautiful, but reality is reality, and some days our homes are just a wreck.
    Thank you for being real!
    Ooh, and it’s good to see that I’m not alone with the laundry thing. ;)
    Have a great weekend!
    *Tricia

TRICIA @boutellefamilyzoo says:

Thank you for being real!
    Ooh, and it’s good to see that I’m not alone with the laundry thing. ;)
    Have a great weekend!
    *Tricia

Candice says:

Thank you for this, yep all my rooms match your exactly maybe even worse. I am just glad that you showed us, I cant wait to see the PINK party, I love your parties, they are my inspiration.

Denissa says:

Love your honesty! I am the opposite though, my house needs to be atleast picked up for me to function..BUT that means that all the other stuff NEVER gets done..all the projects that get started are just that..started! Oh well hopefully summer break will be my catch up :)

Momofgirls says:

Thank you!!! I have been grabbing ideas from you for the teacher appreciation lunch I am doing today…which is fun and i love doing it….but you are right on when you say we can’t do all things 100%!!! After that, my house will be clean again!

Thanks for the reality check, as women we need to feel like we are okay being “Imperfect”.

Have a fun weekend, can’t wait to see more loft pictures!!

r- m val says:

i would love to be more creative with the sewing machine, but i have no clue where to start. did you create the stuff you make or did a pattern inspire you? i realize your business depends people buying your sewing creations, but could you do a little tutorial on some simple sewing tips? i LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog and all the great ideas!

GREAT post! Thank you for sharing how it really is for most of us – and I can identify with you having 4 kids of my own, the house is never perfect. Actually, I don’t think it should be – clean yes, but not too perfect that our kids can’t have their friends over or guests feel uncomfortable. I think we women need to be more real with our lives! You’ve inspired me!

Blessings,
    Marie @ http://emmacallsmemama.com

Courtney says:

Thank you! Thank you for your honesty. But seriously you still do ALOT and you are truly talented.

Have a wonderful mom’s day!

mommyholly says:

I am new to your blog and just love it! I give you so much credit for posting those photos- my house looked JUST like that yesterday and I finally had enough hehe!! Now things are looking up!! :) xoxox Holly

Thanks for this post!

Mama Mote says:

WOW!!! You really touched a nerve here. Thanks for showing us you really are human after all. :) Way to open up your home to us with those pictures. Right now I’m in the middle of unpacking boxes and trying to fit our stuff in our little, little house. Even half our stuff doesn’t fit, but we are improvising. Thanks for all your fun blogs.

love your kitchen – I don’t even see the mess – it’s like when you hear a baby cry (after listening to it for years and years) – you just tune it out!

Oh, thank you so much for addressing this question! I’ve been thinking about emailing you to ask this very thing, but I decided you probably have more than enough to do already! I’ve been wanting to start my own little business, but have been feeling like I can’t do it all. Now I see I don’t have to! Thanks for the reality pics. It’s nice when others admit that they can’t give 100% in all areas all the time! Thanks for the encouragement!

I just thought of a question. Do you put personalized labels on your products. If so, where is a good place to purchase labels?

Thank you SO much for being real and posting these pics….you have no idea how much I needed to see another mom be real!!!

katherine says:

thank you for posting pictures. real pictures. it’s good to be affirmed that we don’t have to have everything together, all the time.

you are too funny. Over at kellyskornerblog.com, she’s doing a tour of homes. Everyone’s home looks beautiful and clean and just right for photos. It is fun to “show off” your house, but the reality for most of us mommies is that our house is not photo ready most days. Thanks for your honesty. Even through the clutter, your house looks beautiful! Love the woodwork.

Anonymous says:

Oh…I LOVE THIS! I can’t wait to show my husband and we aren’t the only ones who have these days!!! I swear he thinks everyone has a perfect house every single day of the week, year, etc.! All except us that is. I personally love to invite people over for dinner so we HAVE to clean up all the clutter that accumulates. Works for me!

allie~millie designs says:

Thank you for sharing your imperfectness! So I’m not the only one who can’t do it all?! You made me feel so much better!
    Blessings,
    Ginnie

you rock!

jackpritchett says:

What about the comment:
    “You sure do you have your hands full.” Erghhh…If I got a quarter for every time I hear that I would be a rich lady! Ha!!!

why don’t you like coffee? and one more question, assuming you had cookies in your house, how many would you eat on an average day?

Thank you for your “full disclosure”. I soooo needed to see that I’m not the only one. :)

rachel says:

amazing post and beautiful home! (mess included)! are you the type of person that works better the more you have on your plate? have you always lived this “full” of a life?

Pilvitarha says:

Just… Thank you! :D

love it! it’s always so refreshing to to find out that i’m not the only one who sometimes can’t see the floor!! :O)

Mrs. Biscuit says:

Lurker here…..I love your blog and I love your house….it’s so cute! Even messy.

Here’s my question….I’m a grown woman with no sewing skills (other than repairing a button) but your blog makes me want to learn to sew! Advice on how to learn/projects to start with that are easy???

little wash wash says:

Your house in awesome! I love the kitchen!!
    Question is= when did you put your girls in a room together, why and how long did it take them to adjust to it? (i have a 2 yr old and one on the way and we have a 3 bedroom house)

{ Kiddos and K9s } says:

thank you – thank you… love this post. honest and lovely… real. Thank you… ~ kim

I love seeing others homes-mess or no-lol. It’s great to see how others really do it all…I often share home projects on my blog-a couple things…
    I’d love to see a home tour! Also, I loved seeing your baby shower post. I could only have drempt of a shower like that. I was hoping you could share where you found the polka dot and the runner material?

Thanks, Lindsey! Interesting that this one got so much buzz, huh? My house is constantly like this. How liberating!

It’s nice to know you’re real, but you’re still always amazing! A.M.A.Z.I.N.G

Kelli J. says:

What blog format or design do you use? How do you get vertical lines down the side?

LOVE IT!!! You can’t even walk in my walk in closet right now!! I LOVE all the fun parties you throw and the decorations. Have you just been collecting stuff over the years to use for decorations?

And I LOVE the way you decorate your home. WE are moving into a new house in 2 weeks and I want to try some of the things you and your riend have done. Thanks for the inspiration. I too am a sewer..just not that good!

krystina says:

Thank you Lindsey for sharing the simple fact that we are all imperfect. I seriously was freaking out on my house last week after seeing your blog. I still want it clean, I still want it organized; but I can relax a little now knowing life is busy and it can’t be perfect. I don’t have enough courage to post photos of my messy house! This post came at a perfect time for me, like you were answering what I had been wondering all week!

Your house is beautiful…even when it is a disaster! ;D

D @ Colorblind Productions says:

oh you are my soul sister.

SoBella Creations says:

Glad to see that I’m not the only one living in a chaotic house.

A Touch of Country says:

I think you still have it all together! I love seeing that I am not the only one with a messy house and sometimes I pray no one stops by and finds the mess!

I just stumbled across your blog and I'm in love. Your home is BEAUTIFUL and I love your design style. And most of all, thanks for being honest and helping us all feel better. :) I can't wait to read EVERYTHING you have.

Gosh can I just say how badly I needed to see this post today… and when I did I actually said thank you god, cause today I needed that extra… everything isn't always perfect. So thank you… my house looks the SAME!

I love this. I love how real it is and how you are not afraid to show it. When I read your blog and others and see how perfectly organized they are and everything has it’s place, I as many do, ask how. How do you keep it that way. I can barely do it to take the pictures lol. But a post like this makes it seem like what I’m doing for my blog is okay. I don’t have to be perfect. I don’t have to fit in. I can be myself just like them!