come on to my house, my house a’ come on

i can’t tell you how many times i want to title a blog post a line from a song or a song title. silly me.

wanna go on a little tour of my house? i can’t promise that we’ll get through it very soon. as i clean a room i’ll take some pics, then do a little (big) post. so we’ll get through the house over the next year, maybe ;)

here’s my kitchen. the only reason its clean is because i had to take some pictures of it for an interview. seriously, thats the only reason. unless i’m entertaining, it usually looks like this.

the kitchen was a huge challenge in designing and building this house. we had so many obstacles to work around and so many things i was a brat and insisted on. overall, i love my kitchen. i was super anal when we were designing it – i literally made a list of everything i had in my kitchen (bowls, cups, mixer…) and wanted them to be stored in the most logical places for ease of use. example: allthe utensils i use for cooking are in the top drawer next to the stove, while all the utensils i use for prepping food are in the top drawer in the island, where we prep all our food.

the really tall cabinets to the right of the fridge are our pantry. it has a few deep drawers that slide out and some higher deep shelves. then the little door to the right of them, under the upper cabinets is a coffee station. every moring my husband just slides out the coffee maker and when he’s done i slide it back in. the mugs are in the cabinet just above and the coffee canister is on the counter next to the little door. i try to be logical.

all the appliances are from a sears warehouse – that’s where they send all the floor models that have slight dings and knock a huge chunk off the price. so it all has little dings, but everyday wear and tear has produced its own set of imperfections, so i don’t mind them.

the cabinets are custom, only because the space had such size restrictions that we couldn’t order pre-fab cabs to fit. that was a nightmare. the cabinet guy ended up m.i.a. halfway through the job. no fun. they are made from paint grade wood and the hardware is from here. the latches are really pricey, so even now, after 2 1/2 years of living here, we still have a number of cabinets without latches or handles.

the wall color in here is the same as the rest of the great room – restoration hardware’s silver sage, color matched and mixed by home depot.

the countertop is called caesar stone and the color is concrete. we had originally wanted to do a concrete countertop, but after mixed reviews decided on this. most of the caesar stone color choices only came in a gloss finish, but we really wanted something matte. this, thankfully, was one of the few colors that came in the matte finish. and it wears great! any scratch or stain can be sanded out with automobile grade sandpaper, and daily clean up is done with the scratchy side of a sponge and windex.

the counter is never this clean. never. for the picture i moved the piles to another counter.

for the sink counter we added about 4 extra inches to the depth. i know at the time i had a compelling reason for this, but i can’t remember why now. but i still like it. except when i have to open or close the windows – its too far to reach.

the backsplash is made from subway tiles. they are a really beautiful tile with a hand glazed look. we never would have gone for anything but the cheapy tile, but our new neighbor owns a tile store and gave us a deal. and my husband’s cousin was our tile guy. love it.

and see that little white box at the end of the counter? thats supposed to collect the odds and ends that gather there. but best of all is the phone next to the box. see any cords or phone wires going to the outlet on the wall? that’s because we had the countertop installers drill a tiny hole for the phone cords to go directly under the counter, where we had the electricians install a jack and outlet behind the baskets.

here’s where all our everyday dishes are. its nice and close to the dishwasher, but not so close that the open dishwasher gets in the way. the glass on the cabinets is called seeded glass. it has a little bit of an antique look to it with tiny little bubbles. the drawers on top of the counter hold bottles, paper napkins, and cloth napkins. the top cabinets hold my cake plates.

our sink was one of the things i was insistant on. the deep single bowl was a must and makes washing dishes so much easier than a divided sink. and when the babes are little, it makes bathing them really easy. the faucet was a steal from lowes – i think it was just over $100! the 2 dispensers next to the faucet are for hand soap and dish soap. although its not in the pic, next to the soap i always have a bowl of hand towels to dry hands and wipe up spills, which are way too frequent around here!

these baskets are here for a couple reasons: 1 – the break up the monotony of white cabinets, and 2 – to have a psace to dump the things we want hidden. although, in theory, this is a good idea, they realy hold junk we haven’t gone through in months and all our other stuff just piles on the counter above. i really need to work on a better “drop zone” system.

this is probably my favorite part of the kitchen – my island. the butcher block counter is used constantly – we cut right on it (other than meat). the sink to the right was a last minute thought that i at first was opposed to. i thought it made the island look unbalanced. i am so thankful for it now! when we are prepping food, the scraps just get wiped right into the sink and there is a little button onthe counter next to the faucet that is the garbage disposal – its called an air stop.

the big center drawers hold: 1- prep utensils (knives, wisks…), 2- mixing bowls, and 3- baking dishes and cookie cutters. the other drawers are false fronts because of the things on th eother sides of the island.

i love having the microwave below the counter, mostly because its out of sight for the most part and not taking up counter space. the drawer below holds all the tupperware type stuff, and the tall cabinet to the left is our trash. it just slides right out.

the cubbies on either side of the island here are supposed to hold wine bottles, but because mr. destructo is still in the it-would-be-really-dangerous-and-stupid-to-have-wine-bottles-at-eye-level stage, we’re holding off for another year. or 2. the stools were a christmas gift from my parents and are from ikea. even the broken one in the middle. in front of them is more shallow storage under the counter.

some of my favorite memories are of the whole family (extended) gathered around the island, prepping food for a holiday meal or helping with a birthday party. the kids love to race around the island. sean loves to work at the island on his computer. i’d say i love to cook in here, but i’m just not that great of a cook.

thanks for stopping by! hopefully i’ll have another room to show you soon!

Comments

The Stivender Family says:

just recently found your blog and have enjoyed it. thanks for sharing your kitchen. it is truly simple, functional, and beautiful. can't wait to see the rest of your home!

Your kitchen is amazing and so well thought out! WOW! Thanks for sharing.

What a beautiful kitchen. Thank you so much for the tour. It sounds like it was a labor of love.

Christina says:

Lindsey, your kitchen takes my breath away! It's gorgeous!!!!!! You have such great taste! I know it will be years before I get to plan my own kitchen but when I do, I'm going to remember to come back and read about yours again. You obviously did a lot of planning on where things should go and that is so smart!! I love to cook and bake so your kitchen is an absolute dream to me! Can't wait to see the rest of your house!

Christina says:

Oh, and where did you find your flour/sugar bins that are by the stove? I love them! I need to find big containers since I do a lot of baking. I finally found an old bread bin … still not the British Enamelware but I'm loving having a place to "hide" the bread. :o)

senovia says:

OMG You have my dream kitchen! It's GORGEOUS!!!! I'm sure it's still gorgeous how it normally looks (and how it would look if it were in my house- cluttered!) :)

Mom Taxi Julie says:

Your kitchen is beautiful! Maybe some day I will have REAL cabinets in mine.

BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love everything. Think I will print the whole post and save it for when we do the big reno!!! TFS

Jeannett Gibson says:

The first time Andy saw your house, the first thing he said to me as we left was "you're totally jealous of her kitchen, huh?" Ummmm….yeah…but more like her whole house! :)

I LOVE your kitchen!!! I like the idea of having the microwave under and out of the way.

Your cool friend Cheryl says:

Love your kitchen! We also chose the "seedy" glass for our cabinets…it's the best!!

kaylin rose and mara anne says:

LOVE your kitchen, thanks for the tour…I wish my kitchen was that big! It is small, but it works for now.

Wow – your kitchen is amazing! I love how it's both elegant but so livable and casual at the same time. We want to build a home in the next few years so I'm totally bookmarking this post!

so clean. i hope you kicked the kids out for a bit and just sat and enjoyed all the clean for a bit.
    it is so roomy.
    i need roomy!

Michelle@Fromhousetohome says:

Beautiful! So glad you gave us the tour!
    ~Michelle

Katherine says:

i'm obsessed with your kitchen!! i just found your blog and i love it! i tagged you on my blog :)

Phil and Bri Seston says:

What kind of hardwood floors did you install?

Farmgirl Paints says:

Your kitchen is perfect. I love everything about it. On my someday list is the white subway tile you have as a backsplash. Lovely!

Mama Mote says:

I'm so jealous! I think our little house here in Redondo would fit in your kitchen – with room to spare. It is absolutely beautiful, Linds.

Anonymous says:

love your kitchen….but that song… the original version of that was written by William Saroyan ( a Pulitzer prize author/playwright) and Ross Bagdasarian who was later known as David Seville (the originator of The Chipmunks, who had the big Hit in 1958 .. #1 for weeks..The Witch Doctor)
    It is typical of Armenian hospitality to have people over and force feed….haha..".. come on a my house..myyyyyyyyyyy house.. I'm gonna give you ca-an-dy…" this song was huge in the early 50's. (written in 1939 tho) How do I know this trivia?? Cuz Bill Saroyan was my mom's first cousin and he was "uncle Bill " to us. Ross B was Bills cousin.

Was it Madonna of all people who did an update on that song?? Think it was Rosemary Clooney who did the orignal.
    anyway.. Thanx for the kitchen tour…
    Barbara

(I know Courtney & David from worship team)

have fun..think i will go eat apricots :)

lindsey says:

christina – i got the flour bins at a boutique in our little downtown, that has since closed. sorry!

phil and bri – our hardwood floors are distressed maple with a walnut stain.

forever folding laundry says:

So, so lovely!!!

~Keri

Your kitchen is beautiful!

I would be the same way if I could resdesign my kitchen. I would know exactly how I wanted everything.

Anonymous says:

i absolutely loved seeing the details of your kitchen! i can't wait to see the next room!!! hope it is soon!

Jenny Lynn says:

gorgeous!

i love how "clean" it looks. the white seems so simple and clean but stylish!

LOVE IT :)

The Smith's says:

thanks :) I wanted to let you know that I have given you an award on my blog under the post of Honest Scrap. Check it out!!

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!!! *sigh*

I'm new to reading your blog.
    I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your kitchen! Beautiful from top to bottom.

I absolutely love your house. Its like my dream home. I love your ceilings. What is it exactly? Like a bead board material?

lindsey says:

the ceiling is made from pine tongue and groove.

Kristen says:

L.O.V.E it! oh my word. beautifully done – and every little thing thought out. oh the advantages of getting to design it yourself. you did a great job!

anything you wish you would have done differently??

if we ever build a house i know who to call for some input !

I love love your blog! You are so talented in all that you do….Thanks for sharing your kitchen, it is gorgeous! Will you come and redesign, redecorate, redo re-whatever my house?! ;)

O.K., I love your kitchen.
    I'm off to clean my small, unorganized kitchen
    Love you,

Federica says:

Oh my! Is this your kitchen really?! It's amazing! I could live there!

Goosie and Boomer Bowtique says:

I recently found your blog and absolutely love it! Thank you for sharing the photos of your beautiful kitchen! We, too, had been looking at concrete countertops but love your choice! You are, obviously, a wonderful planner!

Camilla says:

I found your blog a couple months ago and it is now my very favorite! I've been so inspired by you and your kitchen is just amazing! Can't wait to see the rest of your house! :)

Michele says:

Love you blog! Love the kitchen. That is next on our 2 do list! What wonderful ideas! Can't wait to see the rest of your rooms…especially the kids….I am just about do redo my 2year old daughters and am looking for inspiration!

great, now I hate my kitchen and will forever want yours and will not be content until I can have yours. thanks. thanks a lot. :o) it's beautiful!

Your bathroom paint is ryegrass by BEHR – very weird that I would know this but it was in my townhouse bedroom and now my living room. I'm about to buy more to paint a dresser. Such a fabulous color! :)

Ha- sorry, my last comment made NO sense because it was supposed to go on the guest post by Nicole from last week. That's what I get for reading in a reader!

pinkstilettos says:

Your kitchen is awesome! Love white. I am doing a design contest where others can feature their home, parties, wedding or anthing that deals with decorating on my blog. I have some really cool prizes that other people have donated, so if your interested you can sign up because I saw you have some awesome parties as well as your kitchen here! Just thought I would let you know. Daisy~

Hey Lindsey or Nicole. Could either of you tell me what color of white paint you used on your kitchen cabinets and what sheen? My neighbor is a professional painter and has offered to paint mine for free this Saturday! I need help..oh and where did you get your hardware? Thanks :)

becky – i wish i knew the colors i used throughout myhouse! i only know a few. i do know, though, that i wanted a bright white for all my cabinets and trim. like polar white. i made sure that it was not blue or pinkish at all, just true white. my sheen is a semigloss. i'd rather have a satin, but it just wouldn't clean up as well. nicole's cabinets were much more creamy than white. sorry i wasn't able to get her color either! my suggestions for you: bright white and semigloss. hope that helps!

I have looked and looked for a kitchen that felt comfortable, yours does. It is amazing, and you are so talented! I was curious…What are the dimensions of your island?

your kitchen is stunning. thank you for sharing all the gorgeous details.

Hi Lindsey
    I have loved your kitchen since you first posted the pictures. Your kitchen was the main inspiration when we were planning ours – I especially love the more subtle contrast of the white cabinets with the grey counters (rather than the typical black). I had always thought I would use black granite but in the end we followed your lead and went with the polished version of Caesarstone’s ‘Concrete’. You have such a beautiful home – thanks so much for sharing!

I’m finally getting around to posting my kitchen, if you’re interested: