the name game

ok everyone.
you know my best friend nicole?
the one who guest-blogged here for a bit (don’t worry – she’ll be back)?
the one who sold her dream home 700 miles away and moved just 2 miles from ME!?
well, do you also remember that she is very pregnant?
with boy number 3.
her other children’s names are:
tyler (girl)
drew (boy)
hawken (boy)

but the baby remains un-named!
they have gone through every name book out there
and they just can’t seem to settle on anything.
so she’s getting desperate.
we are coming to you, nearly complete strangers (to her),
to help name her baby boy.
she’s due any day now.
c’mon guys – let’s name that baby!

Comments

The Stivender Family says:

we named our boy august–he is the only one around this small little place with that name!

Hi there! I have never commented on your blog but I LOVE checking in every so often to see what new things you've created. You are SO VERY TALENTED I tell you! Anyhow I had to participate in the baby name game. Our little guy (who's nearly 3) is Fletcher Eli but commonly goes by Fletch. He has gotten so many compliments on his name! We live on the east coast of south Florida and our fav. beach to visit is Fletcher beach. So that's how his name was derived. We are expecting baby number four who turned out to be a girl but if it had been a boy he would have been named Slater. I think it's such a great name and also just happens to be the last name of a very awesome surfer! Just thought I'd share those two ideas with you. Best of luck!!!

I have a Max. Not short for anything and we love that name. He loves that he sees his name everywhere.

Shelly Primm says:

here are some of my favorite boy names even though i have two girls (emma grace and mary lee)

– finn
    – jaden
    – sage
    – anderson

i am sure i will think of more names that i like! can't wait to "meet" baby #4. have a great day!

Wow, I just love your blog. Your creativity, your house, your kids – all beautiful!
    I wanted to suggest a couple of my favorite boy names that I never got to use – I have two boys and two girls and I am sooo done! I wanted to name our twin boys Tucker and Hudson, but I had to let my husband have a say (!), so we used Simon and Leo (which I love!). Just got the names out of a magazine or somewhere – I love hearing the names of peoples kids. I especially like Hawken – what a great name!

I have 2 boy's and LOVE there name's – Chase is my 6 year old ( he love's that he was named after a bank !!! And Drake is my almost 4 year old !! Name's that you don't hear everyday but not TOO out there either !!! Good luck !!!

Hannah D. says:

I vote for Camden!!

Our son's name is Gibson Jude, and I still just love his name! We are adopting a son from Ethiopia right now and we'll be naming him Silas. I have a friend who named her little boy Beckett, very cute.
    Hope she can find a name she's in love with!

Out little boy's name is Grayson and I LOVE it! I was a teacher and wanted a name that was a little different without being too different. We call him Gray about half the time, too. :)

Kristi H. says:

I love your blog! Everything you share here is just so darn inspiring!

We have a Willem Haaken (pronounced just like Hawken, but a Scandinavian spelling), so my suggestion is Willem. We've never encountered another one anywhere and we've been in several states as we're a military family. We like that it's a twist on the traditional "William" and that it's very strong and masculine.

Oh, and I have to add that I hail from Bend, Oregon. I about fell out of my chair when I read that your dear Nicole was living there!

wow – we just came to the other side of this hump (LOL – NO pun intended here!) Our baby boy is carrying a name around with him in my tummy now.

A few we considered and dismissed: Gareth, Philip (nickname "Flip"), Crispin, Noah, Liam.

Other suggestions from the Baby Name Wizard based on the sibling names:

Connor, Angus, Blake, Landen, Knox, Evan, Justin, Clay, Donald, Drake, Grant, Kit, Scott, Trey, Walker (all boy sibling names that go with boy's name Drew)

Adam, Brandan, Cameron, Corey, Deion, Vanhook, Devon, Ethan, Jaxon (all boy sibling names that come up with girl's name Tyler)

"Hawken" didn't show up on the site at all. ;-)

Nicole can plug any possibilities into the site and come up with names along the same lines – it's fantastically freaky!

Good luck, and congratulations!

The Titmi says:

Levi!!

I have a baby on the way and if it were a boy really wanted to go with Levi. Instead we were surprised to be having a little girl and naming her Violet! ;) I also have 2 other boys, Collin and Drew. :) Good luck!

Wilson

I named my son Grayer Thomas. It just fits him. Hope she finds a great name for her new baby boy!

My son is Alexander Harrison (yes, it's a mouthful), but we call him Xander. Harry is a family name that I have always loved; however since our eldest daughter is Mary, my husband refused to have children named Harry and Mary. Thus, the Harrison as a middle name. When we first were expecting, but didn't yet know the sex, we chose Henry as a boys name. After the ultrasound, the doctor and the tech disagreed on whether it was a boy or not (doc thought not), so that weekend, my husbands mom and dad got a new dog and named it Henry, since we didn't need the name. Yep, never quite forgiven them for that!

I love the name game! :) My son's name is Joseph Aaron. The boy names that I have always loved but didn't get to use are Jonah, Ethan, Elijah and Trey. I think those would all go great with the other names. I also like Liam and Eli as well. Can't wait to hear what she names the little guy!

Spence!

KKGhoffman says:

My sons name is Grady Alexander. We picked it b/c it is an older name but not used a lot now. We get a ton of complements. I hope you find the prefect name!

Anonymous says:

We named our sons Brogan and Soren. Great names…good for little boys, young men, and old grandpas. I figured it would always sound just right.

Priscilla says:

Logan, Jackson, Simon, Samuel, Peter, Nathan, Ethan, Caleb, Jacob, Seth, Philip, Timothy, Tristan, Eli, just to name a few!!

Bryan and Ashlan says:

I like

Cohen
    Reese
    Landon
    Graham
    Landry

Hope this helps!

My vote is Sawyer or Corbin!

I can't wait to see what Nicole names her baby!

I love Griffin, Dawson, Dalton, Gideon, Leighton, Dayne… those are the first ones that come to mind. I think naming a boy is so much harder than a girl!

How about Miles. i LOVE that name!

Nathan and Megan says:

Our firstborn son's name is: Reddington Forrest. WE LOVE IT to say the least. He goes by "Redd" sometimes. We have gotten nothing but compliments on this name. No one has ever heard of it or knows anyone but our little guy with this names. Another one we liked was Tobius & maybe call him "Toby" Happy Naming! Megan from IL

Or how about quentin or quintin/quinten? Call him quin?

I have a two year old Boston….everyone who hears it loves it! Good luck to your friend on choosing a name :)

Vintage Junky says:

Hudson or Beckett or Rigby

Wow Congratulations first and I love all the names so far too hard to choose My son's name is Derek but we loved Brigham,Owen,Collin and Carson. Good luck in finding just the right name for your little guy:)
    julie

I don't have kids yet, but am considering Everett for a boy. Since we live on opposite coasts, I'm willing to share that name if Nicole decides on it :)
    (I'm a Nicole, too!)

Anonymous says:

Some friends have precious boys with these names which I love:

Hayes
    Sawyer
    Sutton

Rusty! Our sons name is Russell Keli (Keli is hawaiian for my mother-in-laws name who passed away while I was pregnant with him). But we call him Rusty and I love it!

I have always loved the name Anders. It is a very Norwegian name that is a form of Andrew. I have a nephew names Joren and he is a wonderful young man with a unique name. We named our son Ben. (just Ben) I've never met a Ben I didn't like! God bless your new little one!

My favs are:
    Bennett
    Noble
    Southern

Justin and Julie says:

I love reading your blog- the ideas are so fresh and inspiring! On the names, Brooks is really nice! I also like Corbin, Crew, Key and Court. I look forward to hearing her choice! :)

Roger, Jack, Brendan…

First of all, love the blog and all the artwork (yes, artwork!).

I have been a "fan" of names since I was little – always making name lists & just generally interested in names. So all the comments and the names have made me a happy camper! LOVE the name Hawken. Perfect romanctic hero name. heh.

My votes from names mentioned in the comments are Soren & Griffin. They sound like they'd go w/ her other children's names, plus Soren is one of my favorite names ever. : )

Good luck to Nicole!

Ahhhh we were in this boat with BOTH of our boys' names!

Our first is Finn Christian (Finn wasn't so popular when we named him!) and our newest is Deacon Eli. Both get compliments and smiles!

Both of us really wanted to name him Captain, but we didn't have the guts (actually our mothers nearly died when we suggested it… peer pressure I guess).

Some others we liked:
    Hayes
    Cohen
    Brady
    Fletcher

Good luck :) How close is she?

I love your blog! I love to see the wonderful things you create.. it makes me wish I could sew!
    I have 2 boys, Jackson and Brady. They are great names and I love that they will carry through when they are grown. We call Jackson "Jack" – as great as these names are they have grown in popularity. We loved the name Luke but could not use it because of our last name.. it just doesn't work! Good Luck!

Mama Mote says:

Our first baby was going to be named (my husband whispered in my ear as the head popped out) – Samuel David. Then the rest of HER popped out. I like Samantha, but she didn't look like a Samantha. Dan realized a day or two before the birth that we could be having a girl, so he searched the Bible and prayed and came up with Elizabeth, so that's what we had…Elizabeth Rachal (who is now 26 and married). So you can use those names…no more babies for us. We are going to be into the next stage in a couple of years.

I love baby names – how fun! Our son is named Braden and at the time I had not heard of it, but now there are tons of Bradens around. I now love the name Braxton (Brax for short) and that would have been my daughter's name if she had been a boy. Instead she is a wonderful Brinley Teagan.

Here are my suggestion:
    Killian
    Quinn
    Rowan
    Reid
    Ryker
    Zander
    Rixon (rickson)

I like the name Brody.

I also like the name Zane.

I have a friend who's son is named Grey.

i LOVE your blog and i LOVE when Nicole guest posts. and every time i wear my posy pins i get so many compliments! there are some great name suggestions on here, but i'll throw mine out there anyway. we have 4 boys and i love each of their names (tyler, jackson and carson) but there is something special about duncan. it's a family name and just suits him. he gets called dunc a lot which i also love. good luck. can't wait to 'meet' your new little one!

Anonymous says:

I tried to think of some that would work with Hawken and Tyler…
    Ryder, Jett, Brock, Haiden, and Vail
    Can't wait to hear what she decides. I love to read your blog! Hope she's doing well with the move and everything! Best to both of you!

Our sons name is bennett…to us it was "different without being too weird". :) we love it!

Grayson, Quinn and Hank (my favs) Clayton, Clay, Clyde (had to) Wade,
    Anderson, August, Reese, Chase, Hunter, Brady, Jordan, Cameron, Corey, Elijah, Natanial, Cord, Julian, Ryder, Randall, Roland, Grady, Christian, Charlie, Jamison, Aldo, Michael Scott, Ira, Oscar, Calvin, Murray, Wyatt, Kevin, Leon,

Grayson, Quinn and Hank (my favs) Clayton, Clay, Clyde (had to) Wade,

How about:

Felix
    Zanden
    Hayden
    Maverick

I hope she finds something she likes!

Holden!!!

Mac

Charlie

Griffin, Sawyer, Hudson, Max, Henry, Luke, and Darby. Just wanted to give you a few ;)

right now i like Sullivan (gram's maiden name). not saying she should name her baby that, but it is the name i like…Van is a cool nick name.

i went to school with a guy named Canyon, i don't see that here.

what about Bob?

I like Harrison or Lane :) I know people with those names.

Anonymous says:

Marek (a twist on Mark) ;)

Cyrus, Jude/Judah, Abe/Abraham…
    Oh, I love names…my babes are Sam and Josie…but I have more names lined up…don't know about more babes, though.
    Blessings!

We have a little Son named Christian, if I ever had another child~ girl or boy the name would be Vegas! LOVE IT!
    So universal and sooo different.
    Thought I'd share with you my secret! So if I do have a child in the near future, our kids will have this same name….:)
    Good luck with the search! Please post the name when she has him!

Here's a couple of names I've always liked: West/Weston or Nash. Not sure if those have been suggested or not…I'm sure she will find the PERFECT name! Congrats Nicole!

les_mason_curt says:

I am preggo with a boy too.  My sons name is Miles.I really like the name Asher.I also really like the name Sawyer.Hope this helps

Seriously... says:

tyke

Cannon
    Blake
    Preston
    Logan
    Anderson

Here are a few..
    Julian, Judah, Bennett, Grayson, Cooper.
    Congrats & good luck!!

Donahue Family says:

I have the winning name right here….

ROWEN

I love that name!

Jeannett Gibson says:

Fred.

(No, really, I like Levi…oh, and Henry's kinda nice too…)

I'm submitting the name Quinn! I think it goes with the other 3 names perfectly!

My suggestions…Connor, Declan, Finn

Michelle at Her Cup Overfloweth says:

The two already that others have mentioned….

Knox
    Chase

The one I read from a novel recently that I love:

Justice Oliver

The Smith's says:

Lane is a name that we were going to name our next boy and we never had another boy. TO be specific, we were going with David Lane but it never happened.

Anonymous says:

we named our boy Parker – best ever! Love him to bits as original as his name his middle name is Finn – also lobbied for that as a first name but I lost – Good Luck!

I like Nathan (our first son's name), son number 2 is on the way and I am pretty sure we are going to name him Tyler.
    Runner-ups for us – Garrett and Brennan

Evan Gray or Zachary James
    or Gabriel or Oliver

Alden
    Satcher

cupcake studio says:

Caeden–I've just always liked this name.
    Shade–my next door neighbor who's in his 80's is named Shade. Love this.

My boys are Chase, Garrett. and Cole. I Just had a little girl named Paisley three weeks ago but if she was a boy we were going to name him. Beckham, Brody, or Krew.

Anonymous says:

Hi! Love your blog. My suggestion is Trey. My son's name is Trey, we have been happy with the name selection. I think it would be a great fit for a name for many reasons for Nicole….it means THIRD- Nicole's third son. Trey/Drew- 1 syllable names, Hawken/Tyler- 2 syllable names, and all the letters in TREY are in the only daughter's name….Tyler:) Good Luck!!!!!

Sheena Richmond says:

I've got three boys: Sawyor, Sam, and Sullivan (Sully)
    Looks of great name suggestions here…good luck!

jodieak51 says:

Here is my list of boy names. Right now my favorite is Hudson.
    Bennett

Everett

Carter

Turner

Harper

Grayson

Anonymous says:

We named our son Elijah Gray. I love it and it fits him perfectly.

Whitni Ann says:

I've always thought the name Joshua Caleb would be cute. It has a deeper meaning than just a cute name. Joshua and Caleb were the two young boys that God chose to lead the people into the promised land because they had whole heartedly believed in God and had faith that He would lead them out of the wilderness. I would hope that my son would have the same kind of faith.

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) says:

I like Gibson and Trent.

I love the name Porter. Or how about Sawyer? Good luck finding the perfect name.

I personally love the name Miles. AHhh… just melts my heart saying it. (I'm only telling you b/c I don't know your friend… can't have any one of my friends taking my [future] boys' name!) :-)

Elaine Duree says:

I am having a girl but my boy name was: Lucius I love it!
    -Colin sounds so book smart to me
    -Finnagen My adorable nephews name
    -Dustin another adorable nephew
    -Edrick my new nephews name
    Good Luck!!

jskell911 says:

My son's name is Jaycen (pronounced same as Jason), but I also love Corbin( My maiden name), Braeden, and Zander.

Brody

At least she waited for you :)

I love your blog and you really are very talented. I love the name game. It is so fun to come up with unique names. Our kids are Lane (girl), Rowan (boy), and Beckett (boy). In fact I think one of my friends commented already and mentioned that we named one of our kids Beckett. :) I also really like the name Shepherd and they could call him Shep. Hope she is able to decide on something!

Wow! I'm impressed with the number of great boy names you've gotten.
    If we had had a boy we were going to name him…
    Oskar.

Well I am always partial to Carter! Love it and it is not one you hear every day!

My husband and I have settled on the name Jude for a little boy. I like Jude Thomas. I also know a Carter Jude.
    Good luck!!

Rochelle Barlow says:

my friend has a son named Kai. I can't think of anything else… but I do love that name Kai. He is a cutie too, if that helps! I have two sons, benjamin and jackson, but I figured you may be looking for something more unique. good luck!

i have a Luke Wallace and a Seth Jackson. Names i also like are Mason, Grey, Finn, Collin, Griffin, Harrison…i love the name game. so fun.

Atticus. I think it is darling and original.

Or Everett, boasting the ever cute and handsome nickname Rhett.

Carmen Rigby says:

I always thought it would be neat to mix parents names…like half and half…My name is Carmen and my husband's name is Jason so if we were to have a boy his name would be Carson.

Does she know what she's having??

Absolutely love:

Briar
    Elliott
    Phineas

We had our first baby in March and his name is elliott hugh!!

erin@vittles says:

perry, harris, lawson, bron, lewis.

i second knox, august, charlie and jack that have already been mentioned.

brayven is a unique one that sort of fits with the style of hawken.

has she gone through every single family last name on both sides? grandmother's maiden name etc? there's usually some fun unique last names that can be turned into first names.

p.s. love the blog and shop.

my favs:

Reece
    Trace
    Cullen

Kristin Sollars says:

We have a little boy named Beckett… love that name, so surprised to hear others talk about it on here, we are the only Beckett we know, love calling him Beck! I also love Everett, Bennett and Hudson. I just had a baby and had this baby been a boy I would have named him Edison… love that name!!!

Well I named my little man Zane Jacob the name just hit me like a rock and this was before I knew that he was a boy. And now he is 4 and starting pre-k tomorrow. I love reading your blog and I will pray that your BFF has a healthy and safe delivery. Good luck on the name.

I forgot to mention that one of my sons names is Rhett, and I didn't see it listed. =)

Anonymous says:

I love my Miles! Other names I loved Miller and Mitchell:)

Anonymous says:

How about Greyson and call him Grey.?..

lots of suggestions!! my sons are braxton and carter. #3 was going to be anderson carl, but she was a girl, mayce margaret:) good luck

Rachel Slagle says:

my little guy is named dillon andrew. i really love the names brady and jameson.

Diana Fabricio says:

LUKE, RYDER AIDEN
    QUINN, LIAM COLE
    AVERY, CASH ROSS
    MIKEL, ARCHER NOLAN
    PIERCE Fabricio

OK and if u want to go foreign..
    Duarte in Portuguese means protector of the land….

by the way im jeannetts sister but our tastes are completely different

Mrs Charlie says:

Joshua

Anonymous says:

James….my first son…a sweet loving kind boy….traditional and hardly used…good luck and blessings to you and your family.

deacon
    gideon
    elijah
    lincoln – link
    rhett
    locke
    jude
    jackson
    samuel – sam
    titus
    clay

Grayson (Gray for short), Gage, Cade or Gunner.

Bruin

Callahan ("Dirty Harry" reference)

Maverick

Kristi Perry says:

good luck picking a name! there are so many names to pick from and you have to wait to hear "the one"!
    i have 2 boys tristan taylor & deacon reese… my sister picked adorable names creighton & her 2 week old son griffin. i always loved the name preston tolliver

good luck & congratulations,

justsimplysouthern.blogspot.com

My little guy's name is Nolan…cute but manly!

I love Spence!

Shealynn Benner says:

Emmett! :)

Shealynn Benner says:

Tristan. William. Michael. Dane. Edward. Jack.

Kellen

congrats on baby #4 & being back together!

my suggestions are…

lincoln
    carsten
    graham
    harper

happy name hunting!
    megan

I'm having my 2nd boy in 3 months and I'm going to name him Kale!

We love Nash and Griffin.

Anjanette says:

Heard a mom at the pool yell to her son, "Arden". Thought it was adorable.

Colson,

These are a couple of my favorites…
    Carson (my sons name!)
    Tristan
    Davis
    Colton
    Trace
    Hudson

good luck!!

Anonymous says:

my boys are Shane and Jaxson but if i had one more i love the name Cash.

my girlfriend has two toe-headed boys named spencer & sebastien. :)

i also think brody is cute. although i think that's already been mentioned here a few times. haha :)

how 'bout jack? or trent/trenton?

Kari Beth says:

loved reading all the name suggestions! i'm expecting my first in february. . .i just KNOW its a girl! but, if we have a boy we will be naming him Harry, short for Harold. family name. . .my hubs, his dad, and papa's name! i just love Harry. good luck to nicole! she will find the perfect name!

maverick

Kristin9204 says:

What about Landon? I am drawn to that name lately. My daughters name is Charli and it is so fitting for her! I have received so many compliments on her name. I really like it because it's not hard to spell and it's not a common girl name. Good luck!

how about Elliot.

If it's a girl: Elli for nick name and there are so many spellings if she's into that.

And for boy it's classic but not common and just says "yeah, I'm a little bit yup-yup but not a snob!"

Brookelyn says:

We have a son named Noah & one named Levi. Micah is good possibility for the next baby if its a boy. Beckett is a fun name i heard recently too.

I love the name Finn- we used a family name for our son, but Finn was my other favorite.
    ~Shawna

kymkaelber says:

We named one of our boys Kason…cutest little thing you ever did see :-)

What about Finn? I have always loved it! good luck with the hunt for 'the one'! xxx

we named our son Renn something strong and different

Crystal Garcia says:

Titus is a strong manly name.

Esther Plaster says:

our boys' names:
    ransom loren
    blaise llewellyn

other options:
    ambrose
    augustine
    adicus (from to kill a mockingbird)

i have tyler hunter and this one on the way will be tristan hawken!