summer’s treasures

before we moved to the central coast of california, we lived in a little beach community in the southernmost part of orange county called san clemente. as much as i love it here in san luis obispo, i miss the beaches of san clemente. our little duplex was just a couple blocks from the beach. we had an ocean view (from our roof). i would take naps a few days a week down in the sand. sean could go for a quick surf any time he wanted.

but this has changed coming here. i’m more than sure having 3 kids since then has changed all that, too. but as a little reminder of where we once were, each summer i take out all our shells we’ve collected and beach glass we’ve found and starfish we, uh, bought… and set them out to remind us of summers past.

my kids have been loving playing with the shells. all. over. the. house. but why not, right? they were made to be enjoyed. most days a polly pocket or 2 can be found sunbathing in these shells.

did you see i made a furniture swap again? i switched the kids’ rooms (more on that later. much to my husband’s shagrin, silas’ room is still lavender), and wound up with an extra dresser.

remember how it used to look? i liked the turquoise table there in the entry, but i love it more behind the couch, where i originally bought it for. this dresser is the perfect size for the entry and has a ton of storage, which is great considering a neighbor generously gave us bags of thomas trains. the bottom 3 drawers are ALL trains. i’m hoping to keep some of the top drawers empty so when we have guest come over i can just dump my piles in there ;)

and here’s where the turquoise table has come to rest. still missing that middle knob, ugh.

i piled on a few bird cages, which the kids also love more than their own toys, and added a couple iron birds on a cake plate.

do you see that fabulous cake plate?! that was a just because gift from my dear friend, joy. she knows me well!

Comments

Federica says:

Oh wow! I'm loving those birdcages!!!

Julie, Little One-of-a-Kind Design says:

so so pretty! very nice eye candy first thing in the morning!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row says:

Any time you show pictures of your home, I eat them up! Love them.

Just lovely! Did you purchase the starfish online, or locally? I'd love to purchase some shells to use in my house!

do you happen to know the paint color to the turquoise table?

You just made me have beach withdrawal. :) We aren't by the ocean here in Michigan but we DO have Lake Michigan. I think a trip to the beach is in order. My kids will be so glad.

I just love the feel of your home. I love that turquoise table. It's beautiful.

Room to Inspire says:

Love all of your treasures! Especially the beach glass, I love the colors and the smooth edges…

Chelsea

Whoops, big typo!

I wish I could duplicate your house and all the furnityre and plant it right here so I could live in such a fabulous home!

Jennifer says:

I love putting shells into old jars, they look so beautiful! Your birdcages are so neat!

lyndsay – the paint color of the turquoise table is called mermaid net by behr.

I've been blog stalking for awhile and just haven't taken the time to comment. Sorry!! :)
    Just have to say you've got great style and it has been fun read your updates!

BTW, curious, I'm getting ready to have slipcovers made for my living room furniture and notice you have white slipcovers. I have young kids as well and am curious, would you recommend the white or has it been difficult to keep it clean and fresh looking?

Thanks in advance for your insight! :)

So beachy and beautiful….LOVE the turquoise mason jars, they are DREAMY!

emily – funny you asked about my slip covers because i just washed them and put them back on my couch a couple minutes ago! i totally recommend white slipcovers, especially with kids. i know that sounds backwards, but white is the only color you can bleach. i've had my couch with the white covers for about 9 years and it has looked great up until about a year or so ago. i can throw it in the washer with some bleach. i always do an extra soak and rinse, but i get most everything out. but after so many years of bleaching the zippers are getting harder to zip, some are breaking, and there is one spot on the fabric that actually has a couple tiny holes and is fraying in spots. but for 9 years and 3 kids, i think that's pretty good! let me know if you have any more questions!

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas says:

Such a fresh & inviting home!! Love it!!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful says:

Gorgeous and the perfect switch! The dresser looks like it was made to go in the entry and the aqua table would be perfection anywhere you put it.

Polly and her little friends would be swimming with the seashells at my house too. I find them EVERYWHERE! And I love it, wouldn't want it any other way!

~Amanda

Jen Rose says:

What a nice post to click on and see the words San Clemente! My favorite place in the world! I just filled some sand to bring home last week and have it displayed in a little turquoise jar on my mantel. Made me smile! Am in love with your turquoise piece of furniture too!

Rebecca Welch says:

*sigh*
    Shells and beach glass-happy stuff!

very cute.

Maggie Whitley says:

i love the bird cages… especially with the turquoise. BEAUTIFUL :)

GUSSY

Mama Mote says:

I tried to figure out where to put my box of shells – what container. I have a couple of jars filled with some, but the box I had here was bigger than that. I went to Michael's and found a terrarium (I think that's what it is). I took a picture and maybe I'll post it when I get to the point of putting before and after pictures. But it worked well. I love your jars, though. And I was in a really cool store in Camarillo that had birdcages and thought of you and isn't there someone else who used cages? Anyway, it was a fun store. Can't even remember the name of it. Maybe you know.

I love your birdcages! Where did you find them?