trucker party

last month we celebrated silas’ 2nd birthday along with his buddy, hawken, who’s birthday is just a couple days later. this was awesome since that meant nicole and i not only got to plan the party together but also split up the cost and labor involved. unfortunately, nicole and i were fairly tapped out (she had just moved and i was working on (in)courage products). remember last year? nicole and i both did the carnival party, but on different days, so we were able to share decorations and just ship them back and forth.

here is the invite we came up with. we did them the same style as the carnival invites – made one large scrappy invite then reprinted it on a smaller scale. i love doing it this way. you get to put in so much detail, but only do it once!

we were going for a trucker theme. not sure exactly how we came up with that, but it was fun trying to come up with the details.

we ordered trucker hats here for our families and all the kids invited, and nicole ironed on all the names with felt/velour letters. some of us got fun “trucker” names! a local tire shop let us borrow old tires that we stacked around the yard for the kids to climb on.

unfortunately, i missed taking pictures of the boys together, so it looks like this party was just for si! instead of cake, we gave the boys little apple pies with black and white striped candles on top.

for dinner we served pulled pork sandwiches (“pig sandys”), corn on the cob, watermellon (“seed spitters”), and for dessert we had root beer floats (“black cows”). it was fun and easy (most important).

we served water and strawberry lemonade on top of sean’s tool chest. we got the fun black straws, the red gingham napkins, and the black/white checked tablecloths from smart & final. not pictured, we also served all the meals in white to-go boxes instead of on traditional plates (also from s &f).

but even more enjoyed than all the decorations and festivities was the fact our (disaster of a) front yard was lined with tractors of all sorts. as the timing worked out, we were having our driveway and part of our sidewalk redone and the kids LOVED IT! me, not so much.

next up on the party list: at lily’s very specific request, a “fancy nancy pink party”. this should be, um, interesting.

-lindsey, aka mamacita

oh, yeah – DON’T FORGET ABOUT THE SALE!!! my shop’s 1st anniversary sale runs through this monday night. use coupon code HAPPY at checkout for 20% off!

Comments

Us Simple Girls says:

what a unique idea for the trucker theme… unique and awesome!

the trucker hats are perfect… not to mention the food… now i'm craving a root beer float! don't even get me started on those invites…

have a great weekend!

Mommy Laity says:

Can't wait to see the Fancy Nancy Party! My girl loves fancy nancy too. Though the book she's most obsessed with at the moment is "Tea for Ruby" done by the same illustrator, with lots of pictures of fancy dresses inside.

Love the trucker party theme! You are so great with details.

I can't believe there are two Hawkens now at Grace. Too funny. =)

I love a themed party. My friends think I get a little carried away, I pick a theme and run with it. Love the trucker theme. Might have to steal it for Asher's, my son, 6th! I think it could still work?! Love Love Love!

Vintage Junky says:

What a cute idea for a party! Love the hats!
    Michelle

how cute, I just love your ideas, thanks for sharing. I also got the fabric and I am so excited!

What a fun idea… it looks like a fantastic party!! So neat that you go all out for your birthday parties… I so enjoyed all of mine growing up!

Your cool friend Cheryl says:

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Kristin Sellars says:

Love the scrappy invite idea! So cute and such a time saver!

I LOVE IT> LOVE IT> LOVE IT!
    Everything about it. How cute and fun. I am definitely doing the big scrappy invite and then shrink to copy. Brilliant!

That is so cute! Great idea!

I've stopped by here many times, but now I GOTTA leave some love for this trucker party! Fantastic idea and man, you know how to run with a theme! I mean, those HATS! Shut. up. Love it!

linsey hey this is jenny wheeler (rozema)

love the party theme- where did you get the lemonade (drink) containers on top of the tools???? love them!!!

thanks ! love my pins :)

joy, jenny

jennypf@sierratel.com

hi jenny!!! only one of the drink containers was mine, but i got it last year from pottery barn (on sale). its from their enamelware collection that i think they have every summer.

Blushing hostess says:

OMG! This is fabulous. Well done!

I can't wait to see what you do for a Fancy Nancy party so that I can get some ideas! That is what my daughter has requested for her next birthday.

Oh I love it Linds! One more thing to add to my "Cool Things That I Need To Copy" folder. LOL