done!

as daunting as it has been, i finally got my very own family rules canvas done!
and so have so many of you!
nearly everyday i get a new comment or email from one of you that has made your own.
you guys really have to go look at them all –
they are really inspiring and helpful if you haven’t done your own yet.

yes, i stole some of your rules.

i began with my canvas,
painted it sloppily with random acrylic paints,
and started choosing my fabrics.
yes, i said fabric!
nicole made her’s with paper, and so have many of you,
but i wanted to try it with fabric and iron-on transfer paper.

our house has very little wall space, so thankfully the canvas fit in the only place it could go.
and i love it here!
it’s our tiny hallway by the kitchen,
between the bathroom and silas’ room.
our kitchen is pretty white and this canvas it just the kick in the color pants it needed.

overall, i’m really happy with it.
but it may be that i’m more happy that i’m done with it than the actual finished product ;)

here’s what my rules are:
thank God for this day, for this family, for this home
sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle up, say i love you
be creative at all times
use kind words – obey your parents – always tell the truth
share everything… except bad ideas
say what you are sorry for… forgiveness is mandatory
give your guest your best
husband love your wife – wife always be on his side
hands are for hugging not hitting
there is no “mine” in this house – it’s all God’s
encourage your siblings… share in their joy
too much t.v. is bad. too much reading is good.
act responsibly, be respectful, choose wisely
love the Lord your God

some of you have had trouble with the mod podge causing your paper to bubble and ripple.
i avoided that with the fabric, for the most part.
i was pretty happy with the transfer paper,
but it worked better on some fabric than on others.
you can see the outline of it on many of the fabrics,
but i gave up on perfection long ago.
just realize when you do this project that it probably won’t be perfect.
enjoy that!
perfection is so much harder to achieve.

i also varied the edges of the fabrics with different cuts,
like a scallop, straight cut, and more decorative scallops.
i took scrapbook paper that had decorative edges and
traced it with a water soluble marker, then cut it out.

so now its your turn!

i’ll try to do a post soon of a compilation of all of our family rules…

also, many of you have asked if nicole is going to sell these. for now, the answer is no. she just had her 4th baby and is busy enough with her little monkeys. but she is looking into getting them reproduced, so i’ll definitely keep you all posted if this comes to fruition!

happy saturday!
i’m off to decorate for a big fat greek celebration (more on that later!).

-linds

Comments

Linda @ Craftaholics Anonymous says:

Love this! I'm totally making one.

Becky DeVries says:

SUPER CUTE!! looks great there on the wall. DId you use stickers for the letters? Looks great!

andy gibson says:

looks fab! if i ever get the gumption to re-do this (or even make one for a friend) i'll be going the fabric route!

-j

Mom's Place says:

I love it!!!! I'm tempted to redo mine!

Sugar and Spice Mommy says:

Oh Wow!
    This is adorable!! I think I will take this on as a winter project! I like the idea of fabric too!:)

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good says:

Beautiful and personal. I know just the place for this. It means more to me because mine would be created for my family. Thank you for sharing. You did a great job.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z says:

I love it! I want to make one, but it seems like so much work. It's on my project list though. Did you use the iron-on paper for dark fabric? I find Avery's works the best for me and doesn't show the "glue" as much.

Looks GREAT!!

OMGoodness!!!! I'm right there with ya, I'm gonna make one!!
    Great post! Thanks for sharing your creativity always!!
    ((hugs & blessings))

KKGhoffman says:

I love this!! Can you post a list of your rules I can not read them all!

You should do a big link up blog party for everyone to post their Rules Canvas in one place!! It would be so perfect. :)

I know you've seen mine, but I'll add it here:

fabulous… no how did you do the letters in all the cute fonts? That is where i will mess up I think? I have the perfect spot in my kitchen too. the heart of the home, right?

kaylin rose and mara anne says:

Love it! Great job. I really want to do one of these, but I have to figure out all of the fonts, paper or fabric and then the whole process.
    Is there any way you can lay out the steps you did?

Great job!

nancy – i just used my word processor and wrote out all the rules i wanted and played with the different fonts. then i printed my finished rules on iron-on transfer paper which i then ironed onto the fabric.

hopefully soon i'll be able to be more specific about my process in this…

Love it! I have got to find the time to do this! Great Job and it looks like you found the perfect spot to hang it!

This is so wonderful. I need to do one. Please tell me where I can get the canvas backing if you don't mind.

kelli – i got my canvas from michaels, but most all craft/hobby stores carry them.

Thanks for the inspiration! I finally got around to making mine.

Wow…Love it and love your blog.I am getting on this one tomorrow!! Sounds like we share in the same Godly rules!!thanks for sharing

Love IT! What did you use for the letters???

amanda – the letters were printed on an iron on transfer paper that just irons like a t-shirt transfer to the fabric.

KKGhoffman says:

It took me seeing you blog about this 3 times but I finally did it AND I LOVE IT!!

Perfect! I love doing it with fabric… I actually did one early this month and have been meaning to send you a link…

It turned out so cute. I love that you used fabric! It is beautiful!

XOXO
    Jen

Can you send some of your craftiness my way? I love your kitchen cabinets btw. I'm so tempted to paint mine white. Sigh.

Danielle of the Kagy's says:

What did you use to stick the fabric to your canvas? Did you just use the acrylic paints? You did a fabulous job!

hi danielle!

i used mod podge for everything – to stick the fabric down and as a few coats of sealer on top.

I LOVED this, so I had to make my own! I changed some things up a bit…but it was easy to make and I love it!

connorandmaddiesmom says:

love this idea! so adorable. nit to be nosy but I love the foot print/ surf board above it too….did you make that also? if so are you going to blog a tutorial on it? It would be awesome if you did. I need something "ocean like", we have a TON of snow here in Ohio.
    thanks
    and keep up the awesome ideas, you inspire me and so many people.

Catherine peacelovesweater@blogspot.com says:

This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing all your great ideas!

Sheri@childmade.com says:

Very cute! Thanks for sharing. I've posted a link.

christi says:

i LOVE this! i also love the color of your kitchen walls … what is the color?

This is so darn pretty! Who wouldn't want to follow these?! We have a family rules wall too (although it's not nearly as cute) and it's a nice reminder for everyone the family.

Mrs.Kwitty says:

Fantastic!! I love your rules…I am going to have to make a set of "rules" for our home!
    Smiles, Karen

Lindsey you are so inspiring! I fell in love with this craft and made one myself!

I hope you're proud!
    P.S.- I'm old family friends with Summer Roughton, whom I think you are old friends with! Small world. :)

Hi Lindsey-

I just finished my Family Rules. Thanks to you and Nicole for the inspiration- we love it!

Oh, I love this. I’m going to make one too, not sure if I’ll do the fabric and transfers or the paper. But I think I’ll put as my husband/wife rule: Husband, create with her. Wife, nurture him too.

I Love it!!! How big is your canvas?

LOVE IT!! Making one soon. Can’t wait!

This is adorable! I love it, I can’t wait to try it my self..

This is adorable and I am going to attempt to make my own. What did you use to attach the fabric to the canvas?

I love this and am sure that I saw a Summer variation of this. I was looking for the summer one but cannot find it. Did I see it on here? I’ve looked through your blog and cannot find it… Help