room swap

this was silas’ room 2 years ago. i *love* this room. it gets so much light, has a ton of built in storage, and my favorite part is the turquoise walls with the white wainscoting.

his crib was tucked in a nook that will eventually become a closet – somehow we overlooked the minor detail of building a closet when we were building the house.

but this room was a better fit for the girls to share than their old room, with all the built-ins and the overall layout.

so, at the height of my busyness this summer, i took on the challenge of switching the kids’ rooms.
against my husband’s specific request.
you see, he knows me well.
when i am really busy, i tend to want to add on extra things.
it doesn’t make any sense to me either.

but my sister was here and we rose to the challenge.
it only took us about 45 minutes to move all the furniture.

welcome to the girls new room!

i still love the girls quilts i made for them years ago. there are so many colors in them, that they go with anything.

the double dressers are more than enough to fit all their folding clothes.
eventually, i want to make a little cushion for the window seat, and hang a tiny chandelier above it.

the little red & white “kitchen” (as we call it) was my grandmother’s, and mine as a little girl.
the bookshelf was given to us by some friends.
i’m thinking of painting it brown with maybe a dark pink back.
still unsure.
i just know the soft green is too pale in here.

i made this window awhile back and it hung in my entry until the room swap.
i love it in here even more!

i just mod podged scrapbook paper on top of these letters.
i’m thinking of redoing them, ’cause i’m kind of tired of these prints.

these flowers have had plenty of mileage.

the little stool in between the beds were from my grandparents’ neighbors’ house – people who were very dear to me.
the vintage lamp has the lamest shade on it that really needs some attention.
i’ll get right on that.
i have nothing else to do.

here’s the closet substitute.
it is way too small.
all the hanging clothes are squeezed in so tight, its ridiculous.
although it doesn’t look great, i have a clear hanging shoe organizer screwed to one side.
its perfect not only for organizing shoes, but also belts, scarves, and gloves.
my husband’s guitar sits in the corner in here since he plays worship songs for us some nights before bed.

these canvases were all hanging in the playroom, but i am so much happier with them in here.

this rug is from target (4 years ago), and i love the big print with the crazy bedding.

oh, and silas’ room is still purple from the girls. he doesn’t mind.

Comments

I love it! You are so creative!!

I love this it is so adorable. I am hoping in the future my daughter can have another sister who is here with us to have a room to share.

I am crazy about that room .
    Chris
    Just beachy

it looks great!!!! I love it!! I wish I could move rooms around like that!

northern cottage says:

I can't even tell you how FAB.U.LOUS I think this looks. You've pulled off another one – so so great!!

Michelle@Fromhousetohome says:

Such a sweet girl's room. I think it's perfect!
    ~Michelle

I love your overall look with everything !!
    colors, texture….everything !

The Chubby Dove says:

The room's perfect! I have fond childhood memories of sharing a room with TWO sisters.

Mom's Place says:

That room was SOOOOO made for little girls!

What an adorable girls room!! I was glad to hear that I am not the only one who adds on extra things when I am really busy! If you ever figure out why you do that… please let me know! ;)

Priscilla says:

could you please come over and organize my sewing room? No, on second (and maybe third and fourth) thought, I would not like to send you to ASH – so you have galvanized me to take some action (another friends sewing room did too) hmmm is this a trend?!!

Priscilla says:

oh, for the uninformed: ASH is Atascadero State Hospital for the insane :P

This is such a fun girl's room…love all the colors!

Thanks for the inspiration!! Love the girls room especially the wainscotting, quilts, and built-in dressers.

it looks so pretty. i like both rooms you did for the girls. i have mod-podge letters too and was wondering how would you re-do them if they already have been done? i get tired of mine too? do you just put more paper and mod-podge over them?

Ahhh. The girls' room looks like it came straight out of Pottery Barn Kids. Great job. I love it.

Tiff

p.s. A Mn girl who bought and LOVES your posies.

You are so creative and this room is perfect! I love every detail about it, but my favorite has to be the quilts. I am amazed (and jealous lol) at how crafty some people are!

Carrington says:

I found the room lovely both ways! I love how you have used hand me down items and home made items to add special touches to the wonderful character the room already has! I'm so inspired!

Phyllis AROUND THE HOUSE says:

The girls room is delicious, just the most colorful warm and wonderful colors, I love the mix of those beautiful colors, I am a fan and a new folower of yours, come visit me

I love the room. What do you think about this idea for the girls bookshelf.

I just came across that website over the weekend and loved that idea for a bookshelf. The backing isn't exactly my taste but it could definitely be adapted to anything you like.

Those built-ins are heaven! The room looks so great! I love everything about it!

LOVE IT!! Gorgeous. Lindsey, we have such the same taste in decor…love.love.love.it!

I love EVERYTHIng about this room. The colors, the quilt, the painted canvases. So girlie. My oldest would LOVE it.

Anonymous says:

Love, Love, Love your shabby chic, anthropolgie like style! You inspire me/us! Now I have shared your fabulous website with all my galpals~~~they LOVE it too~! My girls are teenagers now, but I can still have my input on their rooms etc. as we all soooooo love the vintageee look~~if that is a word! One last question~~~you did not post your darling bullentin boards in the girls room? I am sure you must have made those too? Covered with your fab collection of fabric? We need a close up pix!!! Keep up your wonderful web~~blog~~~Blessings from Roseville, Kimber, Jerra & Jalee

What a beautiful room! I also just love the colors, quilts and built-ins! The area you have the armoire in right now… could you not hang a clost rod from wall to wall and then a curtain in front…? Seems like with your talents you could whip that up! :-) Thanks for sharing!

here's a link to a closer look at the memo boards: http://lindseycheney.blogspot.com/2008/11/little-change-and-little-new.html

jaime – i think you can probably just mod podge right over the old paper? i'm going to try it at least!

Absolutely perfect! Love it! Adding this to my inspiration file!

The Short Mom says:

Their room looks so sweet.