shooby dooby

first of all, i promise i did not ask my girls to pose like this. they asked if they could – how could i say no?

second, it is nearly impossible to get a decent picture of all my kids together. so these are as good as it gets. and i forgot to have silas wear his hat, which makes his costume make more sense.

the one picture we got with me in it was quite horrifying, so it didn’t make the cut for public viewing. if you aren’t from southern california, you probably have no idea what ruby’s is. its a chain of classic diners, and i worked at one for a couple years in college.

i’ve had a couple of my old uniforms tucked away in storage for years, and somewhere along the road sean was given a ruby’s manager shirt. so we went the cheap/free route and used what we had. i made the boys paper hats with the ruby’s logo i downloaded and cropped. i also made the girls’ dresses from literally cutting my old uniform in half. gracie’s was the easier one, the top half. i just had to take it in a ton and add the band at the bottom because it was too short. lily’s was a lot more work since i was making it from just the skirt part of the original uniform. but it turned out great! don’t get me wrong – i would never sell these, or even want anyone to see them up close. they are really hacked together with many unfinished seams and threads hanging all over. but they did the job they were meant to do, and i’m sure they will soon be thrashed as dress up clothes.

Comments

Momofgirls says:

OMG… what a cute idea! We LOVE Ruby's when we go to Huntington Beach! Love love love your trio! So cute!

Your cool friend Cheryl says:

I think I can count the number of decent pictures with both of my children on one hand…and now I have to start thinking about a picture for Christmas cards! YIKES.

Your little ones look cute anyway. I'm glad you had fun!

Mom's Place says:

What cute little ones you have! Ruby's……*sigh*…….one more thing I miss about So. Cal!

Jeannett Gibson says:

you know, I have a picture of you in costume on my blog…you were sooo cute…I just wanted to pinch your cheeks! :)

They look adorable!

Soo cute! I think you guys should open a diner!! I'd eat there :) love ya!

Lisa Leonard says:

wow linds! you did an awesome job–they look perfect!

Joyful Weddings and Events says:

super cute!

Heather @ Sellers Gang Mama says:

What a cute idea! And good job making the costumes :) I can't sew to save my life!

Cathi Hamen says:

love it linds!!!!

How ADORABLE! They look professional to me!

Love it…thanks for posting!

what a cute idea, i love their posing and love Ruby's!

Mama Mote says:

I've seen Ruby's around, but haven't gone in yet. Will have to try it – and I'll think of you and your family the whole time. VERY cute!

Ruby's is my girls' favorite place to eat. I mean the shakes… to die for. If you are on one of the piers, fabulous. What a great outfit for the chicks. Love it. I saw you mentioned Farmers Market in SLO. Oh… i used to hang their on Thursdays back in my CAL poly days. I got a kitten there one time. Good times. Thanks for taking me back! :)

ADORABLE! I'm from Colorado but knew instantly what their costumes were. My hubby is from Irvine and we go to Ruby's often on visits. Actually, my hubby's Granny went to high school with THE Ruby! I'll have to show her this post!

I've been sifting through your blog the last few days. What CUTE CUTE stuff! You're awfully talented.