butterflies

i’ve got a secret to tell you.
ok, maybe it’s more of a confession.
i am not who you think i am.

i may come off confident and secure in myself here on the bloggy blog,
but that’s not me in real life.
i despise being in large groups,
especially where i don’t know anyone.
when i’m in a large crowd with my husband i am basically like velcro on his side.
having kids has been really helpful for me because they are always a good distraction.
when i am selling at a boutique or craft show, i always beg my sidekick to come along so i don’t have to be alone with strangers and sell my own products.
and i’m terrible with small talk.
here on the blog, i can promote myself up and down, but when it comes to selling myself “for reals”, i panick.
my heart starts racing and i pull away.

why am i telling you this?
because i need your support.
i just did something really big.
or really stupid.
or it could be great.

see that new little button on my side bar over there ——>?
yep, i’m going.
i’m going to blissdom!!!
not only did i just fork out over $300 for the conference tickets,
but i also just booked my flights.
butterflies.

i’m not nervous about flying by myself.
it actually sounds like a really nice break.
but its once i get there.
and i’ll have to meet people.
and share a room with people i don’t know.
oh, by the way… i need a roomie (or 3) to help cut my costs.
are any of you going?
wanna bunk up with a really nervous girl?

i’m going to be having a sale over the next week to pay for blissdom.
15% off your entire order.
just enter discount code BLISSDOM at checkout.
and i just added piles of new posy hair clips to the shop.

so if you are going to blissdom
and you see me,
and i’m cowering in a corner all by myself,
please be nice and say hi .
i’m going to do my very best to come out of my shell, if only for a few days
and really get out to meet all the amazing women that will be there.
i am excited.
but also really, really scared.
i need courage and confidence.
prayers accepted here.

-linds

Comments

I am exactly like you!! I hate crowds and get really shy when meeting new people, but the Lord has put me in a leadership role in a Community Bible Study and He gives me the strength to put myself out there, especially at conferences when you don't know anyone…He will give that to you too!

You don't know how encouraging it is to read that… because you seriously just described me down to the clinging to my husband's side. I've always admired you and your business and wished I had the courage to start selling the items I craft and sew. I won't consider selling them because I'm worried people will think they're not good enough.

Wish I could afford to go to Blissdom–I'd be right there with you! Have an awesome time!!

aw man i wanna go! i'd totally be your roomie! the social thing is me too. kids are a perfect distraction. i think that's why blogging is so nice. you can be yourself without being shy or insecure, at least that's how it is for me. good luck with your sale! and have a blast at blissdom, can't wait to hear all about it!

Mandi @ It's come to this says:

YAY! I'll be going to blissdom & look forward to meeting you!! It's my first conference. I already have roomies, but would definitely love to meet you! I think it's going to be great!!

Well, I am seriously considering going now. If I do, I would love to room :)
    Send me a note and let me know what kind of costs are involved.

Kimm at Reinvented says:

Hi Lindsey! I love your blog, but have probably never left a comment, not sure why. I am going to BlissDom too, and I'm REALLY nervous, because I don't know anyone. We can stick together!
    Kimm from REINVENTED

Elizabeth says:

Oh, I WISH I were going because I am so much like you! So funny. You'll have a great time, I'm jealous!

Sunny Tuesday says:

I've never heard of this show before – I'll have to check it out! I live here in Nashville, so if you need any tips, holla at me! :)

La Tempête says:

Good luck, hon.

You're just darling! You'll do GREAT!!! everyone will LOVE you!
    but I will say a few extra prayers for you!- cause I'm the SAME kind of girl too! :)
    Blessings!
    Jill

The Chubby Dove says:

I used to be the same way (before God put me with a man who would later become a pastor…it forced me to come out of my shell.) Now, I have no problem meeting new people and actually look forward to it, going out of my way to introduce myself. me.

Think about it this way…. Everyone else is probably nervous, too. Be yourself, smile and have fun.

I wish I was going to Blissdom this year. I'd love to meet you.

Calamity Anne says:

I felt like you were describing me! Having my blog really has helped me open up more in public…though I still hate smalltalk. I decided last year to try and do a random act of kindness each day…so that has also helped me to start a conversation with a total stranger. By the way…you'll do great at Blissdom!!!

holy crap, batman! you have no idea how much i want to go, too. if you sell enough stuff, can i go too? i'm a good roommate.

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful says:

A girl after my own heart! I feel your pain. You'll be fine and great and I'm sure will have a fantastic time! Good for you for taking the plunge and being brave!

~Amanda

the paisley moo says:

Ah!! Your coming to my town!! Wish it wasn't a blogging thing that you were going to instead I wish you had a booth and were selling stuff…I would be there.
    Even though I live her my husband and kids had a spontanous night at Opryland and spent the night. You will love it!! Want to know about the town..let me know..I can tell you whatever you need to know :)

The Writer Chic says:

Linds, I'm PROUD of you for taking this plunge. I'd lived in Nashville 5 weeks when I made a last-minute reservation to BD09. Didn't know a SOUL. Came away with a new BFF. Seriously.

You'll do great, and I promise to drag you out of a corner if I see you. ;)

PS — if no roomies come out of the woodwork, I have a spare bedroom. Just sayin'.

Maggie Whitley {Gussy} says:

YEOWWW!!! I can't wait to meet you =)

you will be fine! I don't "know" anyone either… only though online. so this is new to me, too :)

XOXOXO
    see you soooooon

LINDSEY! You are going to do great! I think 90% of the bloggers going will be just like you. This will be a great experience! Maybe you will get to meet The Pioneer Woman, Bakerella and HEATHER BAILEY! I am proud of you ol' friend. I see links to your blog all over the blogoshpere. Best wishes to you!

Help! Mama Remote... says:

Wish I was going. I'm pretty much the same way. You'll do just fine. I bet you're gonna suprise yourself.

Awww lindsey! It'll be so much fun. I just wrote a post about it—borrowing from a few things I learned last year, so check it out. Also, we have room for one more if you're interested and haven't already found roomies!
    lots of love,
    edie

You are so brave. I consider myself a pretty social person, and going it alone would make me nervous too!!!
    I bet your anxiety will wear off as soon as someone comes to tell you how very inspiring and darn cute you are.
    My husband told me that we should always do the very thing that frightens us the most. He used that line to get me to date him and now we're married. So I endorse that way of thinking. This trip may not cure you of anxiety over social situations, but I wager this will be a very unforgettable trip for you.
    Prayers your way!

JUST SIMPLY SOUTHERN says:

i'll say a prayer for you. i had to go to a conference by myself and i was nervous too! i wish i was going! it sounds like a lot of fun. i can't wait to hear all about it when you get back. hopefully i will be there next year :)

blessings,

I wish I could swing it with you! You are gonna be great! Just pass out free stuff and everyone will wanna chat with you! You can hold your own, you are a beautiful, creative, passionate mama with tons to share. Enjoy, my friend!!

kaylin rose and mara anne says:

that is really exciting…i am so happy for you. have a great time and i can't wait to hear all about it…i hope you will share.

i wish i was going, but i just don't think it is in the cards this year…maybe next year!

have a great time!

Kristi @ Pink and Polka Dot says:

i think you should room w/me & Edie? it'll be fun. i told her i was going to stalk you and i won't have to if you're rooming with us. Come on!

Mom's Place says:

I'm like you! I hate crowds…I hate talking/just being around people I don't know, I hate feeling like I'm center of attention, even if no one is talking to me. I stick close to my hubby also!

I hope you enjoy blissdom (not sure what it is). Hope you are able to come comfortably out of your shell.

Aimee Friedrich says:

I'm the same way too. I'm sure you will love it after the initial fear goes away and come home so gald you went.

bigguysmama says:

Very interesting! In person I'm goofy, spirited, and quick witted. Online I don't seem to transfer the same. It's hard for me to be my spontaneous self. I'm always wondering if people will "get" me. Will they be amused or just think I'm being stupid?

An interesting dychotomy to be sure.

I hope you find a great group of ladies to share a room with and that the Lord will bless you with peace and His confidence.

Blessings,
    Mimi @ Woven by Words

Ha! it’s so great to see you were feeling the same way I’m feeling now. Terrified. It’s even better to read ahead and see how much you loved it and that Edie didn’t turn out to be an axe murderer or that your butterflies didn’t completely paralize you. :) Wish me luck. : /