new life for an old door, part 2

for part 1, click here

ok, so i just finished painting the door and “distressing” it.
then i got out piles of fabric and starting plopping pieces in the windows,
until it seemed right.
i was anal about dots not next to dots, same colors not side-by-side, and the one’s with white backgrounds separate from each other.

then i cut thin cardboard at the size of the window inserts, taking off just a smidge to account for the fabric.
(thrifty tip: i get huge sheets of really thin cardboard for free from costco. the are used to divide stacks of toilet paper packages and paper towels. also fun for giant scribble fests for the kids.)

i cut my fabric about 1/2″ taller and wider than my cardboard piece and secured it with packing tape.
i could’ve used spray adhesive, but then if i ever decide to change out the fabrics on this i wouldn’t be able to reuse the fabric for anything else.
oh, you could also skip all these steps and use paper.
but since mine is in a bathroom where it will be moist (i very much dislike that word),
i decided that the paper wouldn’t hold up as well.
and i love fabric.

soooo….
i first taped down the center of each side with a small piece, being very careful that the fabric is lined up correctly.
then i taped down each side entirely.

last i folded the corners in and put a little piece of tape to secure them.
yes, i am sure i wasted a lot of tape.

then i printed out 5 x 7’s of my kids and had a little white border added.
i arranged them, being sure that i had the same amount of pics of each kid.
and you can bet that within moments of the door being hung my kids were in there counting.

then my assistant (mom) helped me flip over the door so i could reposition them on the backside.

then i got the ittiest bittiest nails i could find to tack the fabric covered cardboard pieces down.
i was really careful to be gentle so i didn’t break any glass.

yes, those are my hands.
no i’m not 80, even though my hands suggest differently.
but isn’t my wedding ring pretty?
still love it.

ok, back to the project…
for each window opening i used 6 nails –
one on each short side (centered) & 2 one each long side (evenly spaced).

i had one wonky piece that just was slightly too big for the window that i refused to untape and cut down and retape, so i just used extra nails and it turned out fine.

then i hired a handyman.
ok, not really, i just batted my eyelashes at my dad and he was ready for a project anyway.

here comes the part i really can’t explain very well.
since the door was really heavy, he wanted to hang it using a cleat.
since webster does a better job than me, here you go:

cleat (klēt), noun, a piece of wood, metal, or plastic, often wedge-shaped, fastened to something to strengthen it or give secure footing

he attached this strip of wood to the door, making sure it was level.

the tricky part is that there is an angle cut in at the bottom of the strip.

you’ll see why in a minute (if you’re still here, because i’m even bored by this part).

he pre-drilled all the holes so as not to split the wood, the counter sunk holes for the screws so they wouldn’t stick out and scratch the wall.

then he added about 6-8 screws.

then on the wall we wanted to hang it, he hung the other piece of the cleat on the wall, being sure it was firmly attached to studs and level.

see the angle of the wall piece?

that is the exact angle of the piece attached to the door.

now when we lifted the door up onto this, the 2 pieces locked in place.

and after all that…

here is the end result.

i still like it.

even after one day.

if you make one of these, please link back to me.
i like to see your versions of my projects!

Comments

You are funny. I just took a photo for a tutorial and my hand was in it, and it, too, looked like an 80 year old hand. It must be the lighting …
    I love this project and think I may try it with a few extra old windows we have. I'll link back when I try it.

connorandmaddiesmom says:

you are so creative. I'm going to try this when spring hits and I will send you pics. Love your version!

LOVE it! Thank you for the 2nd part, i was looking forward to it and it sounds very doable and it is definitely a project I will tackle once I find me a door!!
    I love yours, it's so bright and cheery and spring-y.
    Thanks for all the detailed instructions! I'm always hesitant to try projects I see b/c I'm unsure how to completely go about it! Beautiful!

I LOVE this. I too am thinking I might do it with some old windows. Too cute.

Kat @ measuring my life in l-o-v-e says:

This turned out awesome! I keep bypassing door projects as I just don't know where to hang something like this, but love seeing transformations.

Tammy at Tattered and Timeless says:

Lindsey it looks great and I didn't get bored reading all of it :)
    Isn't it great to have a wonderful handyman? They are the bomb.
    I love the bright green.
    Great job..I am trying to see if my stack of old doors will allow me to make one a top for a desk in my butler's pantry. We shall see.
    tammy

I have an old window… Maybe I could do the same???? Love the color.How it brightens the bathroom. I might just put mine in there too. Have a happy weekend. I soooooo love your blog. Have for a long time. :)

FleaMarketTrixie says:

That is probably one of the best projects I've seen in a long time, love the fabrics and the green, great job!

GroverFamily says:

oh i love this!!

cottagewish says:

A very creative idea…love it.

Love it! Love it! Love it!

Shell in your Pocket says:

That is just amazing~
    sandy toe

Jeannett Gibson says:

Super cute. Now I have something to look at when I use your toilet.

Pamela Holderman says:

great idea…have many old windows sitting around and I have painted on many an old door, but not tried this so thanks for being so creative and sharing step by step.

peace.love.applesauce says:

That is simply fabulous!

3LittleByrds says:

I love this project and might try it with a old window. Yours turned out so cute.

noolygirl says:

so beautiful!
    now all i need is an old window or door!

This is soooo cute! What a great idea! Now I need to go find some old doors or windows. Maybe the Habitat for Humanity re-store?

I LOVE it! I have lots and lots of old windows and I never thought to hang one in the bathroom. Great idea and great tutorial. You also have one great dad. My dad would have done it, but he would have been so not impressed with me. I am pretty sure he would ask me why in the heck do I want to hang a door on the wall in the bathroom.
    But then again, maybe he wouldn't. I tend to use things to make other things. Between him and my husband, i get a lot of eye rolling!
    Love it and I will be back to see what other fun ideas you come up with!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

That turned out AwEsOMe! :) Great JoB!

love, love, love this! i'm going to the flea market tomorrow, and i have added windows to my shopping list. so cute!

I may not get it done in the next moth or two, but someday I plan on taking your crafty creation and making one of my own. It's so, so cute!

Whimsical Creations says:

Just fantastic!!

the thrifty ba says:

ok-i love this! and can i just ask you to marry me here and now!? i need someone this creative in my home to make it beautiful! (never mind my hubby and 2 boys…or that you have your own family…)
    ok, i guess that wont work. i will just keep coming back here and trying to be you.
    thanks for the inspriation!

I love this, I love the color, the pictures, everything. The layered colors are fantastic.

I have a picture on my blog of large window decorated for Christmas, now I have to decide what to do with it for the rest of the year.

I just love it!!!!

great job – love it!

Soderin Family says:

You are sooo creative! I LOVE this. If I had a door and the space to hang it, I would try it myself! Maybe I'll add photos to the old window pane I have in our kitchen. hmmm.

Anonymous says:

I would tie a bow or hang something where the door knob holes are. I LOVE the idea! LOOKS GREAT!!

smallgrapes says:

I love this!!! Must find door or old window stat. Thank you for sharing. Such fantastic inspiration.

Kristi @ Pink and Polka Dot says:

Lindsey,
    This is a fabulous project! I saw you're going to Blissdomm…me too! I am going to stalk you down…just FYI.

Wow, LOVE it! I also love that you're sharing the steps of how to do this!!! I love learning how to do different home dec techniques like this, even if I might never get around to doing it!!! The mystery is gone and I can sleep easy knowing how you created such a lovely piece. What sweet parents you have!

Outofmymind says:

I have an old window with 6 panes and have been wanting to do this with it. I LOVE the door, the colors and you have truly inspired me. I got thinking a big fabric or burlap bow with trailing tails tacked to the sides, where the door knob holes are would be cute too. Thanx for the inspiration. kelli hansen

Chic Mama says:

Oh, I soooooo love! If I ever have a house big enough for something like this, I'm doing it!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful says:

Ahhhhhhh…this is AMAZING! i am feeling totally inpsired and now want to shamelessly copy you. I have a giant old window out in my garage just waiting for something fabulous like this! Thanks for sharing.

~amanda

Another project to add to my eternal to-do list…LOVE IT!!! Thank you for the inspiration!

Love it! I'm kinda addicted to projects with windows/doors. My current one is making a headboard. SUUUUUper excited, and super excited to try this one. Lovely!

{ Bethany } says:

Neat! I would add a big silk ribbon through the doorknob holes!

Anonymous says:

It looks great! I think I have some old windows hanging around, I'll have to give this a go.
    Jeanette

Love this ! I also have some old windows I have been planning to spruce up. Was going to try to make one into a mirror but I like this better !

That is so amazing! You are very creative to put that all together. You have a great blog!
    Have a wonderful day!

Michelle M. says:

That is AWESOME! I totally love it! Oh, and I found your blog from Jen at Tatertots and Jello :)

Chasey and Cash says:

I love it!! Great job!

Londen @ Sixty-Fifth Avenue says:

I love this, so fresh and fun!

Single PAP says:

wow, that is GREAT! i have a door–not a French door– but a door and i was thinking of turning it into a headboard somehow.

thanks for the idea!

Aimee Cotton Bogush says:

Love, love, love this idea! I may try it with an old window I have…will let you know how it goes!

Beautiful family, by the way ;-)

dedeetsyshop says:

I made one of these too last year- you can peek at it at my blog. http://www.deannablogs.blogspot.com

I LOVE it and get so many compliments on it! I used scrapbook paper instead though- fabric is great too!

Sparta Savings says:

I love this! I have a window in my Living Room that I did the same to, although I used scrapbook paper instead. the window panes just happend to be 12×12 size, so a small piece of scotch tape works wonders to hold them up! Also, instead of cleats, we used some hooks and loops my hubby found at the hardware store. It is a cinch to get off the wall, just flip up & off the hooks! I love your colors, I may have to take it off the wall and change mine!

Love this. So far you have inspired me to do so many projects. Thank you for that. One question. How did you adhere the pictures to the fabric? Or did I miss that in the tutorial? Thank you for the great ideas.

your door looks great! you've inspired me,and I did the same with an old window I had on the wall- but wasn't sure how to decorate. I love it- but one thing is my photos arent' staying in place. Every now and then, one will shift and I have to fix it. What did you use to adhere your photos? I tried my Creative memories taperunner, but it's not holding onto the fabric very well.

the J in PJs Til Noon says:

Old lady hands is the price you pay for being thin. Look at thin women, most of them have hands like my Mamaw. I, on the other hand (ha) could loose a few so I have lovely hands. That's about the only perk. :-)
    To the subject at hand (again – ha)I LOVE the door. Great colors.
    Now I have to go remove my tongue from my cheek.

Amber@theRunaMuck says:

Could you be any cuter and or smarter or greater than you are now?

I love your spunky style – such a rule breaker.

Hillary @ The Other Mama says:

Lindsey! That is the cutest toilet, er…, bathroom I've ever seen! Looks awesome though it's moist.
    *snort*

Kristin Finch says:

I just scored a window with 8 panes at a local antique store in my town for $20. Don't know if that is a good deal but I felt like I scored! I am planning to do your same concept of fabric and pictures in the glass. I will for sure let you know when it is done so you can see pics. Thanks so much for the great description of how you tackled your project. Mine will be hung in my sewing room!

Debilou~Mississippi Mama says:

new here,, and looking around,, i love how you did the door with pictures of your kids. looks great.

I love love love this! I am dying to make one but I can't find an old door anywhere! Where did you get yours?
    If you have time to answer here is my email. But I am sure your a busy girl so no worries! …. flip.flops.22{at}hotmail{dot}com

cmcscraps says:

Love it, THink I would add a big Ribbon into the Door Knob wholes to top it off!

natalie a says:

you should flip it, and put in a dummy knob (like a reproduction of the old glass door knobs) then you will have a place to hang a hand towel … :)

Hey, this is so cool- I have an old window I have kept for years. it was too cool to throw out. I am so glad I kept it! I will link back when I do something with it.
    thanks for sharing!

This is so cute. You could flip the green door over so the doorknob holes are on the bottom, then put knobs in them and use them as a robe or towel hook!

wow i love this idea, you are super clever ;)

hey. question for you. i have an old door. like way old and way weathered. we started to strip some of the paint and it’s so beautiful with some of the wood and different layers of paint showing i’m not going to paint over it. however it’s probably all lead paint and i don’t need my littles eating any of that. what would you (or your dad) recommend i use to seal the paint and wood?