the amelia shirt

i gave a little teaser last night about my post for today.
and NO! i am NOT pregnant!
but i guess i’m glad you feel comfortable telling me i look preggers.
i think?

moving on…
awhile back i was wanting to make amy butler’s sun surf halter, but it really looked like too much work, required soo much fabric, and was a little pricey for the pattern.
then a sweet reader pointed me in the direction of the amelia shirt!

it was a perfect substitute.
i was craving a really funky print and settled on trellis in rose (drawing room/anna maria horner).
i cannot tell you how much i love this fabric – but more on that later.

on to the pattern.
it was so easy!
i was a little sketchy about making the bias tape and attaching it around the arm opening.
but the steps were so well written that it was really simple.
i love it when things work out like that because it totally gives me the confidence to try something a little harder next time.

then there were the button holes.
again, scares the crud out of me.
if you don’t know much about them, you just have to know that if you’ve done them wrong, you’ve pretty much ruined the whole project.
so i got out my sewing machine directions for button holes and read them over and over.
i think that right sewing machine directions in another language because they are not clear.
at all.
sooo… i then practiced a couple times on scrap fabric until i finally felt confident.
and it worked!
i could have left the straps to tie like in the pattern picture, but i had it for awhile and it kind of bugged me.
and i felt like the buttons made it look more finished.

my only con to this project was also one of my biggest pro’s.
the fabric.
i love the large print for the shirt, but its a home dec weight fabric – meaning its a little thicker than i would’ve liked.

so i’m going to say thats why you thought i looked pregnant,
because the fabric is a little stiff and puffy.
right?
it has nothing to do with the fact that i haven’t exercised a smidge in a year and a half, i’m sure.

and because the fabric is a little thicker, i didn’t like wearing it higher around my neck like in the pattern picture.
but when i make another one, i’ll use a thinner fabric and try wearing it like that, because it is so cute!

and i also wear this with a fitted long sleeve shirt under and its super cute, too!

Comments

cute on you.

Soo cute! Ashley wants one – but she said this would be a dress on her – that would be cute, huh? I think we need to get Grandma this pattern! (for the girls – not her!) This would also look good in a silky fabric too – kinda like the one I was wearing the other day?? :)

That's so cute and it looks great on you! I wonder how this pattern would look on my much larger, much curvier, much less in shape body? :) How much yardage did it take? It seems that so many patterns take several yards just for a top and I'm too cheap for that.

tessa@ My Pearfect Life says:

OMG! Iam really lovin the shirt…I want one!

kpmattingly says:

Cute! :)

SUPER cute. Some days I wish I remembered how to sew.

LOVE! Will you be selling these at all? I would like one but I am sooo not making one.

Love it!!!! I want one too!

MCH PHOTOGRAPHY says:

So cute! I love it

Very cute. Those buttonholes are fantastic.

the comments on you looking pregnant are ridiculous. clearly the "tease" photo was a picture of something you made. I thought it was going to be an apron…thought you might be selling those on your site. the shirt is adorable and you look great in it!

The Writer Chic says:

I LOVE this shirt. I have never been so inspired to learn how to sew….

Maggie Whitley {Gussy} says:

darling, darling, DARLING! i love this. you are so adorable, my friend :)

♥Amber Filkins♥ says:

Oh my gosh, you are the most adorable person!! I absolutely ♥♥♥ that shirt!! And NOOOO, you do not look an ounce pregnant. I'd give my right arm to look as good as you. Okay, I probably wouldn't, b/c I'm right handed, and that wouldn't be good. But I'd LOVE to look as thin as you, anyway. I'd love that shirt too!!

Wow I love that!!! Where do we get the pattern????

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage says:

Holy cow! I love that top. I might possibly maybe be able to make it myself? Maybe ;). I'm off to look at the pattern. Thanks for the tip!

Kate and Oli says:

that turned out really well! i found your blog through etsy it up and i love your layouts and your posts! your shop is way too cute as well! nice to meet you!

Oh my gosh! That's adorable! Now if only I could sew.

Wow! I love this! I've made pillowcase dresses for my girls, this has got to be the same concept. I'm determined to make a shirt like this for me! Love the idea of wearing it with long sleeves. I could try it with my short-sleeved layering shirts, too. Can't wait to find my fabric…..I'm so excited I might attempt it without a pattern, first.

Design A-Peele says:

sooo cute! can you just make all my clothes for me?

Sugar Plum Invitations says:

So cute, I love the pattern!!

Nice! Love it.

PeaceLoveApplesauce says:

Oh, I love it!!

We are kindred sprits! I just made this top 2 weeks ago for our Disney cruise. I love it. I however, did not get to wear it because it was a bit cool, but just wait 'till summer baby! I made the tie but love the button look. I also lined mine because it was a bit, uhum, see through. So easy, and then I didn't have to do the bias tape thing either. I also felt like the pattern maybe ran a bit on the bigger side, next one I am making an XS and I think it will help with the bulk a bit. I am rambling, very Cute!

I Love Pretty Little Things says:

First of all, you Don't look pregnant! Secondly, I love this project!!! I want to try making it. So Fun!

Kimmie @ live fancy. says:

These are the ONE thing I know how to make! We call them pillow case dresses in our house. Instead of doing buttons, we use ribbon and tie the two together at the top. The Girl has perfect bows on the tops of her shoulders. :)

(You should totally make this in smaller versions and nix the buttons for your girlies!)

xo

Kimm at Reinvented says:

Oh my gosh, Lindsey, that is adorable!! You've got the beautiful shoulders and arms to rock that style, girl. :)
    Love it!

mel @ the larson lingo says:

very, very cute! I just got a sewing machine for Christmas (and can't sew very well yet) Maybe I will be good enough to make this cute shirt this summer!

La Tempête says:

Cute! And you look gorgeous :) Definitely not pregnant looking!!!

everyday inspirations says:

LOVING this on you and think you should sell them! Love it with the buttons – so much fun to pick out the fabrics, I bet. How fun would they be with some mini poppy pins on them (neckline or even at the bottom)? Nice job!

catherine s.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest says:

Love this! SOooooo cute!!!
    Blessings,
    Stacey

Hi I'm Amy, says:

this is so beautiful! Great job : ) & I love the buttons

I think it's laughable that people think you look preggers in this top! The top is really great and you look fab!
    By the way, I ordered some of your pleated poppy pins a few weeks back and get compliments every time I wear them. The ladies at the fabric shop swooned over them today. I passed on your etsy shopt info and as we talked they decided they wanted all their employees to wear one as part of their "uniform." :)

Ashleigh (Heart and Home) says:

Oh my word, you are just too adorable. Oh, and so is the shirt. ;) You almost make me want to get out my sewing machine.

Kristi @ Pink and Polka Dot says:

heaven's to betsy…that is cute! and shut up! you do NOT look pregnant…with your little cute self.

JUST SIMPLY SOUTHERN says:

that is absolutly adorable lindsey! i love that shirt. it looks sooo comfortable.

Oh.My.Word. SO cute! I love it and I don't think you look pregnant! I am afraid I WOULD definitely be accused of being pregnant if it was me! :)

paige

That looks so adorable on you. I loved wearing things like this back in my skinnier days…and younger days. So comfortable and so stylish. good job

I love the shirt, and the fabric! You look great in it, and not pregnant looking at all! I'm going to find the pattern, I think I need one! You did a great job, good pictures too! Stop by and visit me sometime!

pretty pretty. sometimes when I get into sewing I want to make pretty things like that, but I never have the patience. maybe one day.

Roo and Wren's Mama says:

I accidentally made a shirt almost just like this – with ties instead of buttons though. It was an accident, because I thought I was making a pillowcase dress for my 2 yo, but wasn't using a pattern and it turned out too big for her. So voila – a shirt for me! I will be making more. I think they'll be perfect for this summer – at beach, swimsuit coverups, etc. I would love to wear it as a regular top too – but wonder about how to wear a bra underneath… hate strapless bras, but also hate showing straps…
    Anyway – super cute! And no – it does NOT look like a maternity top! :) I worried about that when I made mine too – and thought about adding an elastic casing to make a sort of 'waist'.

What a gorgeous print!!

Cathi Hamen says:

love love love!!! and i echo shannon it would be cute with leggings as a dress.

So cute! I have actually made the Caroline dress – basically the same pattern as the Amelia shirt, but it's a dress for girls – and it's CUTE! There is something about making bias tape that is a little empowering, isn't there? :)

kelley Hart says:

O.K. you are as big as a twig! Pregnant, not a chance. Love the button treatment on the blouse. Great job!

Bryan and Ashlan says:

Love this!! How do you make the covered buttons??

Cherry Tree Lane says:

Um….If YOU look pregnant (you don't), then I must be pregnant with twins!!! (and im not)…