well… i made it!
after digging through my archives, i combined a couple posts and added in some extra info, and hopefully it will all make sense if you’re interested in making your own.
first, if you want to know about my fabric choices, see here first.
i used a contrasting thread (turquoise) because, since i knew my stitches wouldn’t really be hidden in the seam, i would make them be more of a focal point rather than an error if i had tried to do it perfectly (note the former title of my blog – imperfect!).
next step is to make the backside of the quilt. the easiest way to do this would be to get a piece of fabric that is the same size as your quilt top, then go from there. i didn’t go the easy route. a girlfriend got the fabric for me, a super soft lightweight corduroy, and she was only able to get 2 pieces, not 1 whole one. so i had to piece them together to make them cover the size i needed. i’m pretty happy with how the back came out. i did a large rectangle in the middle with an 11 inch border around the edges.
i could’ve left it at that, but i thought it looked a little blah, so i added more contrast stitching in the ditches.
i used a turquoise and an orange thread, and a zigzag stitch and made 4 lines. pretty simple for adding a bit of color.
next step is to lay the top of the quilt onto the back. i had my husband help with this. i made the back slightly (like 1/2 inch) larger than the front so i had a little wiggle room. but we basically had to lay it on top as exact as possible.
i’m not a big fan of pinning. i usually think it can be a waste of time, but in this case i decided it was worth it. so i pinned again about every 4 inches around the edges. i sewed the 2 pieces together leaving an opening on one end about a foot wide.
before i turned it all right-side-out, i snipped the corners. this helps the corners on the outside to be a little more square, rather than rounded.
at the 1 foot opening i carefully pulled the quilt right-side-out, making sure to push my finger in the corners to make them square.
its hard to tell in this fuzzy picture, but the next step is to close the opening i left in order to turn out the quilt. first i needed to iron all the edges flat, especially where the opening was. then i used thread that would blend into to opening fabrics, white on top, brown on bottom. if you can tell in the picture, i stitched as close to the edge as possible so the seam wouldn’t be too noticeable.
next i needed to attach the back side to the front so it wasn’t loose like a bag or a pillowcase without the pillow. i decided to use embroidery floss/thread to make little “x’s” on the back and tied knots on the front.
have a fabulous day, and go sew something!