blessings

i am trying reeeeeally hard right now to see some things as blessings.
it is really hard to be thankful for something that is causing stress.
it is hard to feel blessed by busy-ness.

when i take a step back and look at what i’m complaining about, the “problem” i’m having is really a good one.
but, boy, is it hard to see!

my sales have been through the roof.
total blessing, right?
of course!
but, now my shop is nearly empty.
it has NEVER been this low before.
and i’m fielding emails daily from people who want to buy my products but can’t find them!
good problem to have interested customers, but bad because i can’t satisfy them instantly!
and those notebooks!
oh, those stinkin’ notebooks!
i just simply can’t make them fast enough.
i know so many of you have been frustrated that you can’t get to them fast enough before they sell out.
and even more of you have been asking about custom orders.
and after reading all this i’m guessing you might have a good idea as to why i can’t do custom orders right now.

nicole sent me this link, and it resonates so strongly with me.

i need to keep reminding myself these things:
1 – take a step back to see these blessing from another perspective
2 – i CAN’T do it all. i just can’t. and i need to be ok with that.
3 – i am a wife first, then a mom, then a business owner.

one of my favorite things about this blog over the last (almost!) 3 years is that i have a place to ramble, a place to vent, a place to seek encouragement from others who have been there or are there. i am really, truly thankful to you for being that support to me, for making me smile daily as i read your sweet comments, for encouraging me constantly.
thank you.

-linds

Comments

AMEN!

Amy Bell says:

this happened to me around Christmas…wow. it was crazy. but, it also created some much needed supply and demand in my business! :) i hope you get caught up soon…xo

Meredith says:

Your products are so great!! People just can't get enough!!

Jacky {The Sweetest Petunia} says:

Hang in there, girl! I can't say that I'm the best at advice, but I think you said it best – wife, mom, then business. :)

Elizabeth says:

I completely understand the wife and mom first sentiment. I have my own photography business and when that guilt creeps in that I didn't get so-and-so's session done in time or an order took 2 days longer than usual, I think about my kids and know that they came first and that's okay. If people don't understand that, then oh well!

Courtney says:

The best advice I can gives is this:(all from personal experience doing it the wrong way)
    Take a break. Give yourself set days to NOT work on anything business. SLOW DOWN! If you try to do too much and are over worked, you will begin to resent thee things you used to love to make. Money coming in is always great, and pleasing poeople is a wonderful feeling-but they will understand it takes time to create so many beautiful things all from hand. You are awesome and I LOVE your things. Keep it real, one person can only do so much <3

Oh, boy! That's hard. What if you did take a little break? True, the demand would still grow, but think of all the mystique you would be creating!

that is DEFINITELY a blessing for your sales to be going through the roof! it's a lot better to be in high demand than in high supply right? =) your products are soo great, just do what you can and i'm sure people will wait for them!

Denissa says:

Well if you didn't make such CUTE stuff?!? Just kidding.. Sounds like you have things in perspective, and I agree with the other comments, that maybe you need a break and maybe you can designate certain days to business.
    Hang in there! :)

MeganAnne says:

Not sure if you're in the right place with your business or not for this but have you thought of hiring someone to help with the cutting/sewing? I'm sure there's a lovely someone out there that could use a little work and would be a great help to you. Then you could share the blessings of an overabundance of work. This could even be a small addition of help one day a week or something like that just to help you feel less overwhelmed.

The work you do is very cute and inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

Linds – you are such a blessing!! I get this way to and then feel like I'm flaking out on my customers and/or work! But You said it best – we need to prioritize and God will bless us if we keep it in the right order! Your doing great! Love you!

Philippians 4:13

Jennifer says:

It is a total blessing to be doing so well! I am sure there are LOTS of people (me included) who would love to feel that busy-ness. It is a blessing. "Holy complications"… LOVE that!
    ~Jennifer

If it helps at all my order is NO RUSH…..just might use the clips for an Easter gift, but the checkbook cover is for me and I CAN wait. You are so talented and have to take this mad rush as a HUGE compliment – keep up the good work!

Thanks – Stacey
    csfish@roadrunner.com

Congratulations on your success! I love to stop by and check out what wonderful fabric combinations you've put together. :)

(psst.. did you know that "often" is spelled "otfen" in your footer?)

Kimmie @ live fancy. says:

Awww poor girl! And I just keep linking to your page which probably doesn't help. :/ Hopefully you can take a break somewhere tropical after all of your hard work pays off. :)

To The Moon and Back says:

Hang in there. We can't do it all, and atleast you have things in perspective. I'm planning a b-day party for my daughter this weekend and I'm going nuts, and it's only FOUR girls! yes I said FOUR!

I hear ya girl. This is where balance & priorities come in. And you're right, you can't do it all. I used to own a Soy B&B business that quickly went nationwide, w/ 2 small kids at home. I finally sold it and that was a hard decision, but so good. It's so hard to be a WAHM! Hang in there girl…it won't always be like this. :)
    BTW…I gave you an award on my blog today. ~wink~

Maggie Whitley {Gussy} says:

aww! we love you Linds. and all your fabric goodies :)

Lisa Stone says:

When things get overwhelming, it is so important to walk away for a few. You always come back with a different perspective.

Believe me…I wish I had your problem. I have tried soooooo hard to develop a following with two or three different businesses and nothing. Now I have to go back to work in a traditional job and am sick over it.

If you want a helper across the country, contact me ;)

Jessica Turner says:

I'll just stop looking for notebooks then… at least for a few weeks… :) Praying for you. xo

k. a-bear says:

Lindsay- I was going to comment or email you before I read your post, but now I HAVE to! I got my order from you today – THE ONE I PLACED FRIDAY!! AND I live on the east coast – that's amazing!! Of course, I love my pins and hair clips!!! Take a deep breath and give yourself a pat on the back – you are doing a GREAT job! :)

Happy to hear sales are so doing well :) You have a wonderful store and and people LOVE your creations. Keep up the hard work. Just think of all the people YOU are blessing by continuing to create things!

carmar76 says:

Keep up the GREAT work! Everyone understands about replenishing. Replenish yourself & THEN the store. : )

I know that it can be hard to be everything I too am in your place just not as busy. But I have asked my best friend to help me on the days that I am truly feeling the pinch. Maybe you can get an assistant that will help you ship out your orders. Hang in there I love your blog and shop it is wonderful and you are amazing.

AdronsCatherine says:

Two words for you:

"Limited Edition"

LOL! That really is wonderful that you are so successful, but I can totally see your frustration. And as much as I know you hate to let down your customers, letting yourself and your family down is far more serious, and I'm so glad that you are able to keep that in perspective. You rock, mama!

Good luck with all of your orders! That is great though. I know what you mean about being stressed though. I have some custom orders that I said I would work on and it is so hard to find the time!

((hugs))
    Jen

Just Jenn says:

Indeed!! Take life one day at a time and enjoy the blessings ~ in that order you stated! ;) all of us should ;) understand!
    Just Jenn!~

twolittletots says:

thinking of you. and just take it one day at a time. i think people understand more then we think they will…so do what you can, when you can. but, when it is stressful, it is no fun…that is at least how i feel.

hope you are having a good day!

Beki - TheRustedChain says:

This is exactly how I felt last year before Christmas. My orders were through the roof. I couldn't keep up with emails. Craziness.

Keep breathing, keep keeping it all in perspective. It's a great problem to have!