purse revamp

if you saw me at blissdom, you saw this bag.
i carried it everywhere with me to hold all my loot.
i bought the bag plain from target for about 12 bucks.
love a good deal!
buuut, it needed a bit more.
a little more color.
a little more oomph.
are you with me?
so i grabbed a stack of fabric and played around with it until i found the perfect combo of colors and patterns.
i cut 2 strips of fabric in varying widths, and at least twice the height of my bag,
and finished their edges with a zigzag stitch.  my strips were about 2 inches and 4 inches wide.
then i set my machine on its loosest tension and largest stitch length (aka a basting stitch) and ran a stitch down the center of the 2 strips of fabric, the narrower strip on top of the wider strip.
next i pulled the basting stitch until my fabric was ruffled to just a little longer than the height of my bag.
then i ran the ruffled fabric back through the machine, tension set to normal and stitch length normal,
creating 2 stitches near each edge of the top ruffle.
then it was time to add it to the bag,
but i knew i didn’t want the hassle of sewing it on.
so i got out my best friend, the glue gun.
i turned under the bottom edge of the ruffle,
glued it down and just kept gluing and pressing the ruffle until i got near the top.
after i glued a couple inches at a time i rubbed the fabric hard to make sure that it stuck really well to the purse fabric.
edited to add:  after over a year of use now, it hasn’t loosened up a bit.
the top edge is angled a bit since it was near the handle,
so i just tucked the top edge of the ruffle under at an angle and glued it down.
easy peasy.
then i whipped up a few monster sized posies and glued them on.
i totally could’ve made them removable by adding pins backs to them,
but i was lazy and already had the glue out.
i am *thrilled* with how this quick little revamp went.
you could totally do it, too.
just make yourself a ruffle, slap it on an old bag with glue,
pin on a pile of posies or petal pushers, and you’re good to go!

or you could hop on over to my shop and grab one for yourself!

Comments

Mommy Message says:

Cute!!! & no I could not totally do that..I wish… My DH is the sewer in the family. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing!
    Heather

LOVE it!
    (there is also a 'ruffler foot' you can buy for your sewing machine — makes the ruffle for you – but maybe you knew that LOL)

jodi @ back40life says:

love, love, love that ruffle! so stinkin cute!

i have a really similar plain pink beach bag like your yellow one! i should totally dress it up! thanks for the great idea!! it's soo super adorable!

blue corduroy says:

AND it's golden yellow! looks great!

I'm new around here but HAD to say… I just bought that bag yesterday at Target and I'm crazy about it! Plus: only $12?! :)

I also just started learning how to sew, and like any girl, absolutely love ruffles. Thanks for the idea, I may just try it!

Empty Nest Full Life says:

Great bag! Jackie

Out in the Fields says:

What a delightful transformation!

Clever idea! I love it!

Genius!!!!

Laryssa Herbert says:

It was adorable!

OK…that is SOOOOOOOOO cute and I SOOOOOOOOOOOOO wish I could do that but I seriously have to use my glue gum to get buttons back on shirts.

But I would so buy the first one you sell and totally give you free advertising!!?!?!?!?!?!

sounds like a good plan to me!

paige

Kristen Andrews says:

very cute love it, very eye catching I love it!

the thrifty ba says:

you dont realize this, but it is almost my birthday. that would be the most wonderful gift!(yes, i know weve never met, but what a great way to meet someone for the first time…with a gift!!)

twolittletots says:

really, really cute. i might just have to do that for a bag to take on vacation in a few weeks…thanks for the great idea!

Adorable!

Catherine @ A Spirited Mind says:

Wow, that's so cute! I may need to go to Target and try the ruffle thing for myself!

I LOVE that! What an awesome idea and so easy! It never occurred to me to just glue something on! Brilliant!

justtherightangle says:

this is too adorable!! great work. i've been wanting to get a few posies- this would be a perfect project!
    -Arielle

I love this, love the color combo & great spring-y purse!

Megan @ Megity's Handmade says:

Um, ADORABLE! I can't believe you hot glue gunned it. That's awesome!

genius. I'm going to Target…tomorrow.

SoBella Creations says:

What a great transformation!!

Me again. I had some free time today so I gave this a shot. I loved the result so much I posted pictures on my blog! Wanted to let you know in case you were interested. :)

Thanks again for the great idea!

I Love Pretty Little Things says:

WOW! Soooo creative and Soooo cute! You are an inspiration! :) Can I copy?

Jacky {The Sweetest Petunia} says:

Lindsey, that bag is FABulous! Loved the color of the bag already, and the ruffle + posies are a perfect "oomph" to make it SO fun. I love it!

P.S. Thanks for the hot glue tip – I didn't know it would work on fabric like that. I think I need to befriend my glue gun a little more! ;)

MCH PHOTOGRAPHY says:

Love it! I've got to remember that.
    Monster Posey's are awesome!

Maggie S says:

The bag just went on sale(in my region). I have been watching if for three months…

These purses are on sale at Target this week!!!

Mandy - Crafty Angel says:

stunning! everything is just so beautiful!

I loved your bag at Blissdom. Adorable!

SO so cute. I love it. I bought a striped bag from Walmart the other day to do a little revamp to. It's so nice to have something unique!

Love it!

XOXO
    Jen

The Girlie says:

This is such a clever idea! Looks like I'll have to get some posies and try it out…well done!

Mel Tales says:

GIRL! I am SO loving that! Great job.

Michelle @ Sweet Something says:

What an awesome project! Great job!!!

Mrs. Blimes says:

Agh! I LOVE this! You are so stinkin talented lady! I heart your blog! Been silently reading for a while and finally wanted to come out and say "Hi! And you basically rock." :0)

Sweet Tangerine says:

Hello! I am new to your blog…and absolutely LOVE what you have done with this tote! I might just have to copy you….I have a khaki canvas bag that is begging for a little pick me up. Great idea!

Do cute!!! I love the way it personalized your bag!

Courtney
    frog2fab.blogspot.com

Came from Idea Room. This is a great remake. New to your site, and now I am sure I will be addicted. Now I need to assess all my old bags!

Larissa
    Just Another Day in Paradise

GORGEOUS! LOL — I recognized the bag before you stated where you bought it. . . now I wish I'd purchased one!

Btw, I shared your tutorial link and blog link on MY blog . . .so others could see the cuteness!