they call it mellow yellow…

way back in september my sister in law featured an anthropologie-style wedding.
she and i were both smitten with it.
you must go check it out.
but what i was most in love with was the bold yellow dresser used at the alter.
such a pop of color, and so unexpected.
however i never thought about it for myself.
i just thought it was fun and a creative use of color.

then i came across this picture (source) and realized i have a dresser with very similar lines and its creamy and pale blue color were doing nothing for my house.
so my mom and i picked out a fabulous mustard yellow (french pale gold by behr), not too bright with just a touch of grey in it.

i get the funniest reactions from people on this piece!
its right in our entry way.
i get, “so, you painted the hardware?”
and, “wow. thats a bold color.”
and, “are you going to paint it?”

my original plan was to paint the dresser this mustard color then layer it with a few different glazes to antique it and dull the color a bit.

but i’m lazy and the dresser has remained untouched for quite awhile now.
the likelihood of me doing anything else to this dresser is slim to none.
’cause when i see my pretty couch pillows with this punch of mustard behind it
it makes me smile.

ps – thank you all so much for your kind words about my blessings.
your comments and emails were so very uplifting and i really appreciate you taking time out to encourage me!

The Blog of Finleypotamus and His Little Kierbear says:

Oooh pretty! I love it!

Well I definitely follow Joy's blog as well and that yellow dresser was a total inspritation to me as well. I coordinate weddings on a much smaller scale than Joy but I've been telling my brides that they need a dresser on stage! And the yellow….I LOVE it! Yours looks amazing! Well done and I can't wait to have my own yellow dresser:)

i LOVE it! that is a beautiful color…so cheer-y! {my house has a lot of yellow walls and i get some of the same responses..but i love it}

I am Katy, says:

I love it. The color is perfect for your room.

I have been drooling over that too! It was featured on and the original post can be found here:

Maggie Whitley {Gussy} says:

oh! oh! love it!

I think it looks great just as it is. Please don't antique it :)

I think it's adorable!

Celeste says:

LOVE it!! And — I'm pretty sure I have the exact same dresser — right now it's painted white…but I've actually been wanting to paint it mustard yellow! (and, I paint the hardware too) ;)

PeaceLoveApplesauce says:
    Hi I'm Amy, says:

Love it! It is perfect just the way it is!

The Chubby Dove says:

Love it – it's perfect! Even though we haven't met in person, I think it's SO YOU!

I love it! I think it's awesome!
    What a cute dresser!

Michelle (Three Men and a Lady) says:

Hey there,
    Someone told me to come check out your blog and here I am. Love your dresser…great job. The dresser you have pictured is mine. My husband thought I was a little nut-so to pick such a bold color but I love and so does he.

Camille says:

I love it! I'm kind of on a yellow binge right now, so it's totally something I would do! Love it!

I Love Pretty Little Things says:

I don't think that you should touch it! I love it. It is very unique.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest says:

I love that color! Don't tone it down a bit, it's perfect as is :)!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad says:

LOVE it!

Kimmie @ live fancy. says:

This post made me smile!

Feather says:

i needed this ray of sunshine today! i never would have thought to paint the hardware, but it looks so sleek. and the clear pulls in the middle are rockin' my world!

First time commenter… I just had to say that your yellow dresser looks amazing! I adore yellow. Especially paired with gray or teal.

BlueCastle says:

That's stunning. And I love that you painted the hardware too.

Wired Whimsy says:

The yellow dresser is absolute perfection! I love it and wouldn't change a thing about it! Job very well done.

bluecorduroy says:

love. the . yellow!

I love it.

I just found your blog & have never commented before but have to today. I LOVE that dresser! The yellow is so bright & cheerful & adds just enough without being overwhelming. I think we have the exact same dresser… and smaller version, desk, two twin beds & canopies at my parents' house. Now I'm wondering if I can convince my mom to pass the smaller of the dressers on to me so I can do the exact same thing. Thanks for the great idea!

thanks for the inspiration… your dresser is beautiful ;)

Jennifer says:

I think it is fantastic!!

Out in the Fields says:

Love that color! What a great use for a piece you already own…I'm inspired:)

Janice Phillips says:

LOVE it.

Muthering Heights says:

I love this!!! It's so bold, but also vintage looking and sweet! :)

You picked a great shade of yellow!

carmar76 says:

That is a nice dresser and a LOVELY color choice! : )

I have been wanting to paint a dresser this color too with the volcano glaze turquoise knobs from anthropologie: Wouldn't that be beautiful. What color did you use?

I just love all of your decor! When I buy my "forever home" I may consider flying you to Kansas to decorate!

mandiegirl says:

I love this dresser! It's amazing what a coat of paint in an interesting color will do!

I'm ObSESSED with that! Looks great and super cute!

sara @ it's good to be queen says:

love it love it love it! I must find a dresser exactly like that right. this. second.

I love it! I saw a yellow dresser at IKEA that I wanted for my daughters room, until I realized that I could do the same thing for cheaper.

Would you mind sharing what color/brand of paint that you used to do yours? I'm a little worried about picking out something too bright.

love love LOVE that dresser!! Such a great color!

Jacquelyn says:

love love love the yellow!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the dresser exactly the way you have it, painted hardware and all! I am inspired to paint my entry table now :)

Toni Mehraban says:

i have that exact same dresser in my daughter's room – its kind of an antiqued yellowish beige if you can imagine that with brass hardware.

Friendliest Ghost says:

I never would have thought of using this kind of treatment on a dresser, but it's really stunning! I'm moving into a new apartment soon, and likely rescuing a dresser from a curb… I will keep this in mind, oh yes, I will keep it in mind.

Oh… I am in love!! Thanks for sharing!

JEALOUS of your lovely piece there. I'm so glad i found your blog through Couer de La's (don't you just love caroline?)

and what a great giveaway there! j'adore your aprons!

This is AMAZING! I have a dresser almost exactly like it which I have really not liked, now I have a wonderful idea for what to do with it!

I really love this piece! Bookmarking it for future design ideas :-) Great blog. Just followed

First thing I noticed about the piece and LOVED was the painted hardware!! You go girl— I love it!!

Amy @ says:

Wow. Really pretty, I love that yellow. Thanks for the link to that awesome wedding blog, really cool.

Miss Mustard Seed says:

What a great color. The dresser looks gorgeous!

PS~Erin says:

So pretty! I love it!!!

syllatham says:

Love the Yellow…I have an antique mustered yellow cabinet and Im about to paint a bookcase yellow as well. Love your house!

On the other hand, plastic furniture is a man made product.
    They are supplied as different product lines of furniture manufacturers.

* Wooden garden furniture: It is popular since the beginning
    and meets the needs of all kinds of home settings.