play by play

here’s a fairly typical day in my life.
it’s super glamorous, so be prepared for jealousy on your part.
just sayin’.

6:20  – #2 and 3 are in my bed, sean is not.  i remember he has a men’s study early thursday mornings.  snuggle #3 until he’s fast asleep while holding hands with #2.

6:45 – #3 wants his ritual cup of morning milk.  get up in the freezing house (later find out the heater has been turned off!) to get the last of the milk for him.  stumble blindly back into bed.  more snuggles.  more sleep.

7:30 – alone in bed (when did that happen?).  #2 and 3 are playing nicely (!!!!).  they wake me asking for vitamins – another daily ritual.  i stumble out of bed and immediately throw on my warmest robe, turn on the heater, get them vitamins, then check my email.  print out orders, update twitter, #1 wakes up for some snuggles.

7:45 – kids are begging for “brefkist”, so we go into the kitchen.  they all fight over who gets to help, so i remind them they can’t have breakfast until their beds are made. 1.5 peaceful minutes alone before the girls start fighting over pillows or blankets or something insignificant.

8:00 – all 3 kids sitting at the island, eating oatmeal with brown sugar and strawberries.  none for me.   i won’t touch the stuff – nasty texture, uck!  while they eat i start cleaning the kitchen, but only because i have a playdate later on today. let’s be honest now.

8:20 – my slow eaters are now fighting and #3 is in a timeout for hitting #2.  sigh.  start to a long day.  can i have chocolate this early?  hot chocolate!  for me at least, the kids don’t have to know…

9:00 – powered past the chocolate cravings, cleaned the kitchen (mostly), and the rest of the great room. left the floors for later.  story of my life.  sean home for a bit. time to take a shower with the kids and start our day.

9:20 – still not in shower.  got caught up reading gussy’s biz series.  too good to pass up.  finally get in shower.

9:45 – out of shower, boy is dressed, see its raining outside – perfect, since we’re heading out to run errands :( – remind girls/yell at girls to get dressed again. decide against blow drying hair since its raining anyway.  get dressed, photograph.  remind girls again to get dressed.

10:01 – i’m dressed, si is dressed, one girl is dressed -ish, and the other is yet to be.  TIME TO GO!  ok, i’ll process orders since i’m heading to the p.o. anyway…

10:15 – ready to go.  wait!  i have to brush my teef.  and i forgot to eat breakfast!  oh well, teeth win.  out the door to run errands.

12:15 – home from p.o., costco, and new tj maxx.  turns out simon says at the post office helps keep kids patient in line.  nothing at tj maxx, which is good because it’ll be a long time until i’m tempted to go back again.  feds the kids lunch while i swiffer vac’d the floor.  silas ate 2 bites and asked to go to nap (typical).

12:50 – gracie and i are starting home school and lily is still eating (v e r y  s l o w l y), the hopefully she’ll go to naps.  i start a load of laundry and check my email.

1:00 – ok, home school is really starting now:
-sing “this is the day”
-work on poetry recitation/clean playroom (ADD daughter can’t really multitask, so this combo was a bad idea)
-get her started on explode the code while i go make myself a pb and j
-read the birth of jesus in children’s story bible
-read story of the world, talking about the birth of jesus (not a christian book, but learning about the historical facts
-do mapwork on life of jesus

2:00 – didn’t finish nearly enough schoolwork, but time for our playdate to start.  we’ll catch up tomorrow…

5:00 – playdate over. called sean to see when he’ll be home (20 minutes).  think about starting dinner, but check email instead.

5:30 – sean is home (YAYYYYY!).  he clearly missed me today :) we start dinner together.  rotisserie chicken, 4 cheese ravioli with pesto, and green beans, aka green french fries (si’s fave).

6:00 – eating dinner, but gracie keeps complaining about her loose tooth.

6:15 – sean yanks out my baby’s first loose tooth!  she is ecstatic!  i… am not.

7:00 – i’m researching tooth fairy ideas online (thanks for the twitter help!). a friend told her the tooth fairy wasn’t real, but i’m determined to change her mind!

7:30 – kids are in bed (i sneak some chocolate)

7:31 – kids are out of bed

7:32 – kids are in bed (i sneak some more chocolate)

7:33 – kids are out of bed

8:00 – kids are asleep and sean and i sit down to work on some forms for school next year.  i break out the chocolate again.  what?

9:00 – check email, rewrite the blog post that was erased yesterday (blasted blogger!)

10:00 – i need to decide what to sew.  i think i’ll finish up some more of the checkbook covers i started last night.  i try to watch a few different shows online, but they are all repeats.  what’s up with that?

11:00 – finish up more checkbooks, then see that pile of apron pieces, so i start ironing them.  watch survivor online.  that parvati is sneaky!

11:45 – the tooth fairy snuck in without me even noticing and got her beautiful pink fairy dust all over the place!  she left gracie’s tooth for her, as requested in a letter by grace, in a pretty little satin pouch, along with the teeniest note and a magical gold ($1) coin.

11:57 – blast!  i missed my new not-yet-to-actually-be-enforced bedtime!  time to turn off the computer, but first i click over to my reader just to look at 1 2 3 quick posts.  unplug iron, wake sean up from the couch, lock the doors and turn out the lights.  night all!

-lindsey lu who

Comments

Christina says:

I love reading about your day! And wow … you get a lot accomplished!!!!! Your tooth fairy is really smart. I'm stuck trying to explain how mom has the very first lost baby tooth when a fairy was supposed to take it???

Holy Cow! I don't know what the heck I've been doing with my time and I have 5 kiddos.

That is a full, action packed day… made me tired just reading about it:) I finally had to resort to a rubber band around the wrist to remind the tooth fairy to come.

Susan of Pink Portuguese Roses says:

I am so glad to read that I'm not the only one with a schedule like that…LOL!!!

I too take my shower around 9:15ish…never get a breakfast and sometimes will start school around 1pm. I love it!

Thanks for keeping it real.

Love your blog!

Lindsay, every time you write about your life I realize how similar we are. I suppose all moms of many young children have similar days, but seriously: 1. dreaming of chocolate first thing in the morning and then skipping breakfast all together 2. kids in time out two minutes into breakfast 3. survivor watcher. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

ba and the boys says:

how do you stay sane…just asking?

This sounds absolutely exhausting. :( I feel for you!!

Phew, what a day; I'm exhausted just reading about it :O)

B x

Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

You get a lot done! My girls are 4 and 2. I'm impressed that you got that many errands done!! :)

crush. blog says:

we played I spy with the kids while waiting for our table at the resturaunt last night. A little tooth fairy sparkle would make anyone a believer!

Anonymous says:

Forget the chocolate. If I had your schedule, I'd be drinking vodka. Straight outta the bottle. I've always prefered a more simple, laid-back life…so I do not envy you at all!

carmar76 says:

cute post & great tooth fairy you have! glad you got to watch survivor – that tribal was one of the best ever, i think! : ) and i have been feeling the same way the past two weeks about the lack of new shows – what IS up with that?!

Brooke G. says:

Oh my – I SOOO enjoyed reading the run down of your day. It sounds eerily similiar to what goes on under this roof. Thanks :D

Busy, full, and happy. I loved reading about your day!

Also, I have something for you on my blog; come see! :)

I am tired just reading that. But, at least I am feeling a bit more normal. Good thing for chocolate right? I always like a good pick me up hidden away in my cupboards :) It is what gets us through right?

Laura PARING DOWN says:

I'm laughing because the busy-ness just changes as they get older. Teens just want a chauffeur.

sounds very familiar to my day…. but i yell and eat more :)

would you be able to email me (or leave a comment on my blog) what color is your living room?!? and by what maker? that's exactly what I want my living room color as, but i know if i try to find it myself ill totally butcher it!!!

Isn't it good to know that you're not the only one. I'm impressed that you stay up and sew.. I want to but usually end up looking at too many posts on reader. Thanks for sharing!

Layton Family Joy says:

hoping you weren't wearing that frumpy sweater!! =)

Stef

I love how you were done with all of your running by 12:15. You rock! :)

after 7 years of homeschooling i still say the best way is to start by singing, "this is the day," especially on days when it doesn't feel like the day the lord has made, that is when i am reminded it is!
    now i'm going to peep on your portuguese commenter. we're prob. related.

Sugar and Spice Mommy says:

Oh I love you! Thanks for being REAL! Somehow I missed that you home schooled along the way of me reading your blog. Anyway LOVE your blog!:)

Ashleigh (Heart and Home) says:

I love, love, love hearing about other people's (real) days, so this was a treat. Your days are precious, girl.

What a busy day! Hope you have a great week!

summer... says:

ash doesn't believe in the tooth fairy until she looses a tooth. so we play along. however she doesn't want the tooth fairy to come in her room… aka the tooth pillow we hang on the door outside. ha!

k. a-bear says:

My kids called it brefkist too!!! I miss brefkist, I really do. And I make my hubby off the coach each and every night :) We are all in this together.

What a day! Thanks for giving us a peek into your world!

Love reading about other busy moms- and that Survivor was the best EVER- but really lets get RID of Russel already! Thanks for sharing… it made me feel better to know I am not the only one with such a crazy life!
    God Bless you and yours!

Ashley @ Little Miss Momma says:

I read every minute of your day and enjoyed every single part of it! Oh boy, I am not sure when I will be ready for baby #2–it seems so much harder with more than one {but also that much more rewarding}!

Thanks for sharing!
    ashley

I'm exhausted and need a nap after reading about your day! Now I know how you stay so skinny. Whew. You literally ran a marathon.

Thank you for sharing this. I recently posted a day in the life, and our days seem very similiar.

Moms are busy busy. Will you continue to homeschool?

Dare To Dream says:

What did you do in your spare time ? Of course, I am kidding. Been there!!
    I love your blog and the layout. The design is so uncluttered and simple – I love it.

I have been trying for ages now to get everyone out there connected to my blog and for some reason, there is something missing and I don't know what. Love the computers especially when they work.
    Stop on over — Its …. Dare To Dream :-)

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful says:

Love.This.Post.

Hello…welcome to the life of mommy! Seriously…life is good, even when it's not fun and great and cupcakes and roses.

~Amanda

Patrick, Ashley & Audrey says:

Any chance you would share with me what that color paint is on your walls in the pic? Looks like a lovely suede color! I am in need of a new dining room color!