lazy maker

i may have let it slip here once or twice before.
I AM LAZY.
i know that may not fit with your perception of me
as the home schooling, business running, late night crafting mama of 3, but i am.
and i despise ironing.
loathe it really.
but did you know that ironing (or “pressing”) is actually a HUGE part of sewing?
and my ironing board is attached to the wall in my closet,
so every time i needed to iron something i’d have to get up from my sewing machine
and walk into the next room to do it.
and sometimes i have to iron a lot, like for 45 minutes or so.
doing that alone in a closet is no fun at all,
unless i bring my computer in with and watch a show online, just to keep me company.
BUT THEN…
i was doing my weekly costco trip,
purposefully avoiding all the unnecessary aisles,
out of the corner of my eye i spotted something unusual.
a mini ironing board.
and not one of those teeny ones for setting up on your table to iron tiny projects.
this thing is big – wider than a standard board – but just not as long, and without the legs.
i think it was around $20 so i added that to my oversized cart,

and so it sits, here on my desk when i need to iron.
so i not only don’t have to get up to go iron in the other room,
but now i don’t even have to get up!
i can sit in my chair at my desk and iron while watching a show.
i don’t think it gets much lazier than that!
the back side even has a little arm for ironing sleeves.
it will never be used.
because really, do you think i actually iron my clothes?!
i am much too lazy for that!

Comments

Sarah @ Mum In Bloom says:

One of the best parts of becoming a stay-at-home mom is that I don't have to really iron any more. Seriously, now I only take it out when I need to sew Girl Scout badges on (I iron them 1st). That mini ironing board is a great find indeed.

I know this will sound sick but I love to iron! It is therapy for me for some crazy reason. Weird!

mama's smitten says:

Thats my kind of lazy!

rebekah says:

everything about this post is amazing! love your prospective~ love your ironing board.. and i agree with the ironing thing.. i dislike it very much and one reason why i scrapbook instead of sew – i'd rather be covered in glue, glitter and ink then have to iron! also love that most addorable tierd tower on your desk! how flippin cute!

shawna says:

I need one of these! The regular iron boards are too narrow. Thanks for sharing!

And I hate to iron clothes will even take them to the dry cleaners- but iron to sew all the time (is that selfish?- nah!

I hate to iron too! I need one of those!!!

carmar76 says:

What a neat find! Careful ironing while sitting, tho, that can be hard on your back and shoulders. Well, I guess I don't know how heavy your iron is, it might not be at all! *laugh* Keep up the great work anyway! : )

Denise says:

i NEEEEEEED this ironing board!

i don't love to iron, i just love ironed clothes, duvet covers, curtains…

btw- emilie & noah both do their own ironing. "train them in the way they should go" :-)

That isn't lazy, that's genius. Way to go.

Kristen says:

i am getting one of those the next time i go to costco.

i HATE to iron as well. hate it. i actually don't do it unless it is for a sewing project. i have my machine in our bonus room and my ironing board is in our laundry room on the main level. grr!

this is perfect. thanks for sharing.

Heather says:

Love it! My ironing board is behind my sewing chair… the best part is my husband got me a chair that swivels with wheels! So now I don't have to get up either:)

Shannon says:

Very cool. You know what you need now? A cordless iron! I have one and it's awesome. That way the cord doesn't get all in your way at your desk. :)

beachy keen girl says:

i like you – anybody who dislikes ironing as much as i do makes me very happy :) but you are right, having a show to watch helps the time go by much more quickly.

we have the same sewing machine! cool! wow that sounded so highschool.lol

crush. blog says:

Nah Sarah, the high school kids say "samsies" nowadays. lol. this is a clever little find.

crush. blog says:

"samesies" like same -sees ugh, i need more caffeine. and alittle chocolate couldn't hurt either. ;)

ahhh we'd make a fin pair. i LOVE to iron. one of the few chores i heart heart heart.

How perfect is that!! I was just today shopping for a new ironing board. I have been wanting one of those wider ones. But….can I still get cute covers??? Oh the decision???

rachelizabeth says:

Perfect!! I can't iron unless I'm in front of the TV. It is such a mind numbing task!!!

ps- I used to have the same iron you do, until my kids knocked it off the ironing board so many times the outer plastic broke off and exposed all the insides. At that point, I figured I needed to get a new one. That's another benefit of a tabletop ironing board – no irons falling on the floor! =)

Not lazy, efficient!

My mom has always had one of the mini board and uses it for her quilting pressing.

Mariesa M. says:

I love your little sewing space. It looks so cozy and organized. I'm def. going to pick up one of those ironing boards next time I'm at Costco.

Abigail Leigh says:

oh that ironing board is SUPER COOL….I need to find one of those!!!!