studio tour

as my little business has evolved
from crafting in my spare time
to running an after-bedtime-sweatshop,
my work space has also had to evolve.
i began on a tiny desk.
and i boycotted that desk and overtook the dining table.
this prompted sean to build me a desk system where i could have a work space
and a place to store all of my fabric withing view and reach.
then that wonderful desk suddenly started feeling smaller and smaller,
so once again, sean pulled through and built me more desks,
for sewing and homeschooling side-by-side,
and a beautiful cutting table.
yet…
i still needed more room!
(maybe it has something to do with my frequent trips to hawthorne?)

i am not so good at starting a project and continuing until completion.
and that may be a slight understatement.
i had all my works-in-progress flowing all over every surface in the playroom (aka my studio)
and that left no space to actually finish anything.
now some may suggest just having fewer projects in the works
or fewer plates to spin.
but not me!
i said, “let’s move vertical!”
so sean built me our newest addition to the room:
shelves!
and they hold all my w.i.p.’s
plus so much more.

the cardboard boxes have been a great temporary solution for holding all the projects
(they’re orange boxes from costco!)
but i did just buy these beauties from land of nod a few days ago.
i can’t wait to add more color up there!

i have a whole shelf dedicated to notions:
ricrac, zippers, pompoms, buttons (big buttons, little buttons, fabric covered buttons)

and i even have the top shelf just for being pretty!
it is functional too, since most of the containers are filled with less often used things,
but really, i just like it for its looks.
the mini sewing machine was a gift to gracie,
but somehow it made its way onto my shelves.
and the vintage plaid ice bucket is my most favorite recent garage sale find
*love*

bellow the cutting desk are baskets full of inventory and supplies,
and also a little shipping station with envelopes, a scale and stamps.
i’m old school in my shipping methods.
next to the cutting table is where i spend most of my time.
i sit in the corner with windows in both directions, and a beautiful view.
it can be a little distracting.
i have this little basket that holds my pens and pencils,
crafty inspiration books, covered notebooks and journals.
this is where the magic happens.
ok, that was so lame, but funny nonetheless!
i need to use the clipboards more, but i’m starting to get used to it.
there’s one for each blogging, school, home and work.
and here’s the view to the left of my sewing machine.
the kids’ school/craft desks are all lined up.
we just got new chairs (not pictured)
and they are soo much better than the rickety-and-formerly-beautiful vintage chairs.
here’s my fabric stash – a little more depleted than it is now.
its one of my favorite things to look at.
i just love when things are orderly and organized by color.
and here’s gracie’s new work station, just below my fabric.
i think having a little corner of her own helps her to concentrate a little more.
ok, so that’s most of it!
and its never this clean.
ever.

Comments

The Cottage Mama says:

Hi!

Oh, I just love seeing where people create. Your studio is wonderful!!! We are working on my studio right now and I hope to have some pictures up next week.

Question for you – where do you find the giant spools of rick-rack? I use a lot of it in my children's clothing and would love to be able to buy in bulk. I would so appreciate your help!

Have a great day,
    Lindsay

Awesome! I love this work space of yours. I'm definitely jealous. :)

Ashley Ann says:

I love the crisp white backdrop, makes all those wonderful colors really pop! I would definitely get distracted working in there too! Thanks so much for sharing, I always love to see where others "make the magic happen". :)

I love it! If only I were so crafty that I needed an entire space devoted to it. :)

What color did you use on your walls? I'm thinking it would look great in our kitchen.

Have a great day!

Busy Bee Handmade says:

Your creative space is so inspiring!

I have taken over my husbands old office (he used to work at home & now has to head out into the big wide world each day). I have a very masculine black & glass desk with Michael Jordan & Ken Griffey Jnr hanging on the walls…and I don't mean a picture of each…oh no, there are 11 Michael Jordan pics & 4 Ken Griffey Jnr montage's.

It's a sad state of affairs & back to my first comment, your space is inspiring. Will talk to hubbie soon about fixing up my space.

Have a great day & thanks for sharing.

Gorgeous! I wish I had a craft room, my crafting takes place at the counter, dining room table, living room and garage! I did comandeer the cabinets in my laundry room to hold my crafting supplies, but that has spilled into the garage! I am swooning over your desks and shelves!

we have the same sewing machine!
    i love the space and that you also homeschool in it! We have similar alphabet cards in our sewing/school room too:O)

Sandy a la Mode says:

wow, i will pay you A LOT for your fabric stash hahah!! your crafting area is soo lovely and inspirational! i hope the one my husband is creating for me will be even half as nice as yours!

rachel @ perfectly imperfect says:

so beautiful! love the shelves & how you've organized them.
    have a great day!
    rachel

Darlene says:

Please come over and organize my home with color!! It looks just beautiful!

beautiful!

Under the Willow says:

Your studio is awesome ~ so inspiring.

Christina says:

It's beautiful, Lindsey! You have such great style! (And yeah … my rooms never stay tidy long .. no matter how great they are organized. I can't even blame it on the fact that the kids are home all day – they aren't!)

Jenny Lynn says:

I'm so glad you showed this!
    I'm just in the process of getting my craft room started and I need some eye candy for inspiration. Thanks!

she dreams big! says:

No wonder you make such beautiful things! In a studio like yours, inspiration is everywhere!

Gina Dankel says:

Gorgeous space. I have to craft in our cave of a basement. Trying to figure out how to make it more inspirational. Right now it is very sterile and dark.

Susan @ Pink Portuguese Roses says:

Oh to only have a space!!!! I have to sneak any available space I can find…LOL!!! Under the bed, in the closet. I have to take everything out and put everything back every time I create.

You are so blessed to have a work space like that.

i'm so jealous of your crafting space! i've taken over the entire kitchen, fabric EVERYWHERE! and nowhere left to eat or cook!

Okay, that is heaven. I am saving this post just to show my husband what I want one day. I want that along my wall in my family room. That is where we "live" and oh, how I love the craft space, the work space for kids, everything. Everything. Beautiful. And your shelves are awesome. That is some serious happiness.

mandiegirl says:

So sweet! We just half way cleaned out our office that could not be walked through previously, and I set my machine up on one of those folding plastic tables, but am SEW happy to be out of the dining room and it's ROUND table(not easy to sew at!)!!! Love yours…one day! :)

Michelle says:

What a great space. You are fotunate to have enough rooms to dedicate one to your studio.

I gave mine up so my girls could have their own room.

It isn't as nice working in the garage!!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

Your work space is gorgeous!! I think it was very clever to go vertical. I have the lunch box that matches your ice bucket…found it at an estate sale a couple of months ago. :) I'd love to have an area like yours to work in. :)

Design Esquire says:

Wow! It's gorgeous and I'm so jealous. I need to get my act together and get my craft room more organized. Thanks for the inspiration!!

It all looks so beautiful. I cannot wait for that "someday" house when we can have a big school/craft room. Thanks for sharing!

Love Stitched says:

so I am pretty much OBSESSED with your house! I love every room you show! SO cute! I got married in Santa Barbara at the double tree and for some reason every time I look at your house it reminds me of the beach and my wedding…so thank you :)

I'm in love with that space!!

bullie_mama says:

WOW! Your house just astounds me – it is so beautiful. I'd just die if I had all that space and an office like that! Gorgeous! No wonder your products are so darn cute – everything you do or have is cute – including you.

awesome!

meg duerksen says:

i love it!
    makes me want to get crafty!

is your scotch cooler big? i have that same oen but it think it twice the size. we use it for dog food. :) i love that thing.

Jeanette says:

I am completely jealous! We don't have a room for a studio in our current house, so the dining room is my temporary creating space!
    I love your space – so functional and pretty!

Biteofpunkinpie says:

I'm curious about your jars… are they glass or plastic? If they are plastic, where did you find them?
    GRACIAS!

Pretty, pretty!

twolittletots says:

LOVE it!!! I wish I had the space to have a 'studio' vs. just the spot where my sewing machine sits in the downstairs family room/playroom. I am sure I could make the space bigger and more 'studio' like, but it is the first thing you come and see…so until the play area is done…will that ever happen…I get a little space…and a good size storage closet for my stuff! Just wish I had a room/space, cutting table…so would love it.

Thanks for sharing!

Sugar and Spice Mommy says:

yummy!! makes me want to kick my rear into gear and get my "cloffice" in order. Oh how I love your windows!;)

Thank you for sharing! I am so jealous!! I am supposed to be having shelves and new counter built today! I hope I can organize and make it look this cute!! How inspirational!!!

Beautiful. I wish we had extra space for me. I can't wait to have one more room. That is still a few years down the road.

I love the clipboard idea.

A very blessed lady! says:

Just wanted to say that I love how your fabric in your sewing room matches your blog ;) And that my mom would die for that much space to sew in, it's awesome!

Thou shalt not covet, Thou shalt not covet, Thou shalt not covet, Thou shalt not covet, Thou shalt not covet…..

Wah. Can I come to work with you? ;)

amanda @ Rambling of an Empty Mind says:

I agree with Denise…thou shalt not covet…but man it's hard not too. That is one amazing set-up…I may not covet, but I may be a tad bit jealous. I think I need to get rid of the computer desk so I can have a cutting surface…I may get more done. ;)
    And…I LOVE Hawthrone! They have such fabulous material.

*Swoon. Ok, can your hubby come build that at my house? :)

Rockin' C says:

Lindsay,
    I just love it when you share parts of this room with us!! I am totally in awe of the desk/craft system your husband has built you. My man is pretty handy – I would love for him to build me something similar in my schoolhouse. I know your husband is a builder – where did he get the materials to build this system? I've seen something very close to this (minus the craft section) at Pottery Barn, but I'd much rather my husband just build it.
    Thanks!

Melissa Stover says:

i love your studio. even i would want to sew there!

love love love it! thanks for sharing! one question where did you get the glass jars to organize all your zippers, buttons, etc.?

Bonnie @ House of Grace says:

I just want to say hi and that I love your blog. I am going to homeschool my kids this year too! Nice to meet you, I am your newest follower!
    Bonnie

Miss Sews-it-all says:

Wow, thanks for the great tour! I am so jelous of those big, beautiful windows letting in all that sunlight!

Soooo beautiful! No wonder you create such lovely things :)

Celeste says:

Love it!! I have an entire room for crafting… but… I always seem to make my way to the dining room table! I don't know why. maybe I just like being in the "middle of all the action" (a.k.a. around other people.) i don't know.

I absolutely love all of your new additions to your work space!
    …and, it looks like we have the same laptop ;)

Between You and Me says:

i would live in this room.

Stacy@{share and remember} says:

Oh, you have a lovely workspace!!

Amber Cullum says:

How do all of you do it? I check several different blogs and am amazed at how cute and organized your houses look. I wish I had such great style and cuteness. The area looks wonderful

carmar76 says:

Love your work area!! Especially the shelves for fabric. : )

Anonymous says:

I have a random question-what paint color do you have in this gorgeous room? I LOVE it!
    Thanks
    Nicole

I LOVE this…it is my inspiration! I went to Lowe's on Sunday looking for the shelves…found them, YEAH! However I do need to know…how did you build the desks? Thanks!

linestrada says:

I love what you did to your room!! You are very lucky to have all that space.
    Question for you– Is that your primary sewing machine I see? If so, how do you like it? That was one of the machines I was considering.