mediterranean cruise – part 3

ROME!
finally, i can tell you about it.
this was sean’s favorite excursion, but not mine.
more on my reason’s later…
we docked in civitavecchia, italy in the morning.
after our stretch class (still sore from day 1), we had breakfast then hopped the train to rome.
our ride was about 45 minutes.
we’re pretty good about spending our time doing something fun together during long waits.
we both love to play games and are really competitive with each other, in a fun, flirty way.
our top games of the trip were: speed scrabble, double solitaire, kings in the corner, go fish, 5 card stud & texas hold ’em – sean taught me the last 2 on this trip – much more fun than i expected!
once we got into rome we navigated our way to the vatican city, just a few blocks from the train station.
we planned to walk everywhere in rome, since we were told everything was about a 20 minute walk from the city center.
ummm, we really should’ve double checked our sources.
 vatican city
after snapping some pics of the vatican – waaay too touristy for me, just filled with people –
castel sant’ angelo
tiber river

we walked past the castel sant’ angelo, across an amazing statue-covered bridge, and along the tiber river on our way to the colloseum.
should be about a 20 minute walk, right?
well, about 85+ degrees and an hour and a half later…
we finally stop and ask someone for help.
*note: we did learn quickly that asking for help is the best way to go.  most people were very willing to be helpful if we asked nicely.*
location of circus maximus
so we saw the location of circus maximus, where the chariot racing was held, but it had all been destroyed/decayed.
this is below the originally wooden floor of the colloseum – the gladiators and animals were kept under it!
then we finally found the colosseum.
and then i bonked.
now, that is a term i’ve stolen from my husband’s vocabulary.
he’s a cyclist, and when you bonk basically you’ve depleted your body so much that you just can’t go on.
basically, i hadn’t eaten enough or drank hardly any water, and because of the heat and miles we had walked, i just bonked!
unfortunately, it was while we were in the colloseum (did you know you could actually walk around IN the colloseum?!?).
i was most excited to see it more than any other place, but i had no desire while we were there because i was so pooped!
at one point i was resting on a bench and a group of women came and asked me to take a picture of them.
for about 3 seconds, i contemplated saying no!
but i refueled and we decided that public transportation was the way to go, so we hopped a bus to trevi fountain.
did i tell you it was hot?
instead of doing the traditional coin toss into the fountain, we did the non-traditional soaking of swollen feet in the trevi fountain.
it was cheaper and felt much better!
as we were racing back to the train station since we were running late, we ran into another couple from our boat that were in our same predicament.
all turned out fine, but sean and i played a funny game from it.
when they weren’t in ear shot we played the name game:
we each guessed what their names were, just for fun.
sean guessed the guy’s name was brian and i guessed brad.
when we finally introduced ourselves to them, and he said his name was brad (!!!!!), sean choked back his laughter in an awkward way and i did my best to pull it together!
anyway, good times!
so when we got back to the ship we had another massage.
sounds like we spoiled ourselves, right?
what i didn’t tell you about our first massage is that we also did a couple’s rasul, which is basically a salt scrub and body mask thing you do for each other and then a steam room.
well, our shower water was freezing, so we never got to do any of the scrub or mask, so we just sat in the steam room the whole time.
as an apology, they let us do it again.
this time, the water was only luke warm and so was the steam room.
then, part way through our steam, water came POURING out of the ceiling onto us.
not such a good experience!
later that night at dinner, someone at dinner mentioned something about someone’s birthday.
click! a light bulb went off in my head!
IT WAS SEAN’S BIRTHDAY!
i had completely forgotten it the whole day and i felt horrible!
sean was very gracious to me, but i still felt terrible.
to make up for it, i celebrated his birthday for the rest of the trip, telling him happy birthday each day and letting him choose things “just because it was his birthday”!
i don’t think i’ll ever let myself live that one down!

Comments

great hearing of your adventures….I had to smile though as we have another meaning for "bonked" here in Australia!!!

xo, Kate @keeping up w/the Moreland's says:

i am so jealous!! I cannot wait for mark & I to take a trip like that!! looks like you guys had a great time together!!

These pictures are soo beautiful. Made me feel like I was there too. I will be showing these to the hubby later as he is obsessed with the idea of vacationing in europe lately. Thank you so much for sharing. Love the blog.

Loved reading this!! Sounds like such an awesome trip!

Oh Lindsay, it has been so fun to see Italy again through your pics. I ADORED Rome. The city walls, the museums, the restaurants, the hustle and bustle, and The Vatican, the Collaseum sp? the statue David….oh, I was in love!!!! We were there in October. It was sizzling hot, and we had packed for much cooler weather. But by our third week, the weather had changed. I want to go back NOW!!!

You made me laugh this morning! :) Thanks for sharing your trip with us! You remind me of me & my husband.

sounds wonderful, glad for the heads up we'll be in Europe this summer but we've rented a studio in downtown rome and have four days to explore! I forgot my husband's birthday once, it was terrible, he was deployed…never have lived that one down :/

syllatham says:

Went to Rome two years ago and liked it but not as much as Florance. Loved your pics and great retelling of the adventure. Very funny and I so understand the walking part. I was told me that the Spanish steps were just a little bit away from where we were, by the time I made it there I just couldn't believe that we had walked that far for some steps!

Anonymous says:

obviously vatican city will be crowded…IT'S THE VATICAN!!!!! you shouldn't be so negative all the time, and just enjoy the time you have in such a beautiful city.

pleated poppy says:

anonymous – yikes! i didn't realize i was being so negative! i didn't have any expectations on what these places would be like, so i was surprised. and other than not feeling well that day, i did enjoy my time. this vacation was about spending time with my husband, and not so much about where we were. if my posts are too negative for you, feel free to pass them by.

Olive Cooper says:

Rome was not my favorite place at all. I completely fell in love with Florence. Travel is what it is…not always pretty. A whole lot of aggravation at times. You were honest. We were nearly mugged by child gyspies in the subway in Rome. It was awful. Spending time with Sean is so good for the two of you. If I were to write about Rome it would be funny now but was not then.~olive~

Uh oh! Forgetting hubbys birthday….ouch! That fountain is absolutely stunning. I would have had a hard time controlling my urge to dive in. How long was this whole trip? I really want to go to.

Wow! Visiting Italy has been on my bucket list for a long time. I hope to get there one day. In the meantime, I am enjoying your beautiful and rich in history pictures. Glad you've had this opportunity! =)

I am so sorry you forgot about your husband's birthday. You must have been having such a relaxing trips that you forgot the date of the day. I want to say don't be so hard on yourself since men usually don't stress out as much as women. But I am more than sure that your husband loves you no matter what!

Amazing! Thank you for sharing your story, and your beautiful photos!

Christina says:

I hope you tried some "Nutella Gelato"?? The best thing about Italy is the nutella gelato (not the hazelnut, the Nutella one)! Oh, the Vatican … sooo crowded! I was able to get a one-on-one tour but still had a ton of people around. If we had planned better, I would have been able to go in an hour early and see the Sistine Chapel without the huge crowds. ACKKK!! What an experience that would have been. I was surprised by how many hidden things are painted in the Chapel … all the hidden meanings behind things. So interesting!

As for forgetting Sean's b-day, we did that once! All 5 of us kiddos were little and my dad took the whole family to the movies … before it started he started singing, "Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me .." Oh, my mom wanted to die! She couldn't believe she forgot! (Hello, 5 kids?? That might have been why!) He understood and we all laugh about it now. Hope it's the same for you!!!

i am about to incorporate "bonked" into my daily vocab.

amazing trip!

xo
    elyse

Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

I can't get over all of the amazing places you got to see. Italy is definitely on my list. :) I love how so many ancient buildings are mixed with modern in Europe. :)

Anonymous says:

He he – i was gonna say what TK said! Don't be caught "bonking' in public in Australia – you might get arrested! Siobhan

Rome is my FAVORITE European city (I've been to most since I lived there for 4.5 years). It is deceptively sprawled out and there is ALOT of walking. Rome for his birthday-nice.

OMG, I had to laugh at this this post.
    I did the same overheated trip across Rome 'in reverse order'. After starting at the Colliseum, and treaking up that LOOOONG, HOT, Circus Maximus, we finally crawled to the Tiber river wall and recovered, then dragged ourselves into the Vatican after that! Your photos are much better than mine, so this post is dear to my heart!