mediterranean cruise – part 4

yep, i’m dragging this trip review along.
sorry!

our 4th day we were in la spezia, italy.
after stretch class and breakfast, we tendered to the port.
our boat was so big that we couldn’t dock, so we had to hop on a smaller boat to actually get to land.
i wish on this day especially that we had made our way off the boat earlier, because we just ran out of time to see what we wanted to see.
it was hard to find the balance of relaxing andsightseeing.
and after i say that i realize what a brat i sound like!
like the decisions i had to make on VACATION were so hard!

anyway… we walked from the port through a quaint little town to the train station.
it was totally what you picture italy as, pedestrian only allys, old men riding bikes with baskets, tree lined streets with sidewalk cafes, everybody EVERYBODY smoking *cough, gasp*.
when we saw that we had about 45 minutes to wait for our train, we decided rather than waiting in the station, we’d sit at a nearby cafe.

well…. somehow we missed our train, so we had to wait for another bit.
and by missing our train, i mean we got on the right train, second guessed ourselves, got off, watched the train leave, then realized it WAS the right one.
of course, we passed the time playing cards, talking about the kids, setting goals.
our train was set for cinque terra, which i think means 5 towns, because there is a stretch of the coastline that has 5 very quaint little towns that are stacked on the steep hillside down to the ocean.
my parents had visited there a few years ago and it was a must-see on their list.
we went first to monterosso, which was i think actually one town north of cinque terra, but still very worth the stop.

it had a great boardwalk, very well kept and beautiful coastline, with pebble beaches again – ouch!
these were pay beaches and had all these cute little changing rooms behind the umbrella lined beaches.
we stayed there for lunch then hopped back on the train to vernazza.

we layed out on the beach there, took a little nap, waded in the water, walked through some of the shops –
i could tell sean was very relaxed because he kept asking if i wanted to go into shops the whole trip, not his usual cup of tea – very sweet!

not sure why, but i loved seeing the laundry hanging outside everyone’s windows!

if you have plenty of time to do it, you can actually walk from town to town, but some of the walks took 4 hours or so, and we didn’t have time to risk it.
next time, right?
next we went to romagiorre for a quick 10 minutes, just to take a peak.
there is a famous “pathway of love” there, but of course you had to pay for it.

we got back on the train to head back to la spezia.
and we got a ticket on the train!
apparently, you are supposed to validate your tickets at the station, and we didn’t realize that – oops!
the sleepy town we had walked through in the morning was now bustling with locals – quite different than our morning walk.

we headed back to the boat, hung out by the pool for awhile, passed by a castle on a tiny island, watched the sunset, had dinner and finally went to bed early (probably about 11:30).

our room attendant loved making little towel creatures for us – we thought they were hilarious!
most nights we were going to bed at at least 1a.m. because our dinner time wasn’t until 9 each night so we’d finish dinner at about 11, then hang out for awhile after that.
’cause we’re crazy like that.

Comments

*sigh* Such beautiful photos! Lucky you!

Lindsay says:

This looks like an amazing trip! Lucky you! Did you bring the kiddies?

My Plate is Full says:

I have enjoyed your recap of your mediterranean cruise. We had debated whether this type of cruise would be nice but now that I saw the photos, it looks fantastic. Would you mind sharing how long the cruise was and if you thought it was a good length?

Allright stop, just stop. I don't thik I can take it anymore. If you keep going on like this I'm going to have to go into debt and take off for a cruise to Italy soon.
    You have an amazing talent with the camera Lindsey. I've never seen such beautiful photos.

the laundry hanging from the windows feels carefree (but you won't see me doing it).

christa says:

I visited Monotorosso a few years ago and LOVED it! It's so beautiful and I love that cars aren't allowed.

I am dying to go back, and reading about your trip is just making it worse!

the tulips says:

Great recaps of your trip! Sounds like fun.
    We went to Cinque Terre while I was studying overseas in college and hiked between all the little towns! One of my favorite spots I visited in all of Europe!

Lucy Doo says:

Oh my goodness….what an amazing trip!!! The photos are unbelievable!! Thanks for sharing your journey.

Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

I am getting more and more envious with each post I read. ;) When I picture Italy in my head, I picture scenes like the photos you just showed me. Lovely! And you gotta love the towel animals. Our guys did a bat once…it was awesome!

WOW what a beautiful trip thanks for sharing. I told my husband NEVER ever a cruise and after seeing your pictures on your blog i'm tempted…it seems like you can get off and explore more than i realized on a cruise…

melody-mae says:

Okay my love…I have to tell you that we just booked this EXACT cruise for August. What are some things I should NOT miss? I am going to go back and check out your clothes too, to get an idea of what to pack!!! I am so excited!

Hi Lindsey,
    This sounds like a fabulous trip. When I was in Italy, I too loved seeing the flapping laundry out the windows! And I loved the shutters, the doors, the walkways, the cats, the people, the churches, the cafe's, the fountains…oh I could go on and on. Next time, I want to go to Northern Italy and see some more!!!

Oh I LOVE Italy and the Cinque terra was one of our favourite spots when we visited back in 2001. (before kids!)
    We did the walk between the villages and caught the train back.
    We travelled around Italy for 3 weeks and there are so many gorgeous spots!
    Your photos just bring all those lovely memories back.
    I love the clours of the buildings and the FOOD!! Oh don't get me started.
    Got to get back there one day, ah…..

hiyaluv says:

wow your photos are divine! the towel creature is too cute!
    smiles,
    gina

Justine says:

I am getting a more envious each day! I'm glad you had a wonderful trip. The elephant is indeed cute. Did you take anymore animal towel pictures?

looks like you're having a fantastic holiday. the hubs and I cruised through the mediterranean in Sept and simply adored it. love seeing all your pics..

Jason and Anna says:

Lindsey,

I'm glad you and Sean got to go on this trip, especially because I remember him telling me how much he enjoys international travel. Oh, and I believe Cinque Terre literally means "5 earths." Great photos!

-Jason

Claire Kiefer says:

that caprese salad looks to die for!

what an amazing trip. Italy is like a dream for me. I hope to go one day. I am glad you got to experience this!

Christina says:

How cool! This was where we vacationed for a week this time last year!!!! We had a blast (Cinque Terre wasn't our favorite but ONLY b/c we had the kids with us so we couldn't actually do any hiking trails but it was still worth the 5 minute train ride from the town where we were staying.) We spent days on those beaches!! (I specifically asked if they had rocky beaches or sandy beaches – can you believe THAT is what they consider a sandy beach??? It tore our feet up!!) Portofino was our favorite place – stunningly beautiful but so expensive that we only bought lots of gelato!

I love your recaps of your vacation!!! Did you eat lots of pizza? We had the best pizza the whole time we were in Italy.

elizabeth @ twelvecrafts says:

I feel like I'm there! Wonderful!

How did I not know this blog existed? I'm so excited to hop over here from The CSI Project! I'm a new stalker!!!! ;)

Kristen says:

Did you have any wine on your trip? You haven't mentioned it so far…but I'm dying to hear if Italian wine is all it's cracked up to be! Maybe you can share in one of your future trip posts. :)

Karisa Tells All says:

I love reading these vacation recaps! (I'm living vicariously through you!) Glad you had fun :)

The Cinque Terra is/are my most favorite place in Europe (2nd is Rome, then Paris…). I love it. I went many years ago and hiked through with a group of friends. My goodness, it was beautful. I don't recall it taking 4 hours, but it could have. We stayed in either Vernazza or Riomaggiore by using my Italian to rent somebody's flat. It was delighftul, delicious, and breathtaking. Back then there was only one hotel and very few tourists. It was lovely. Sorry for the longest comment ever, I just LOVE the Cinque Terra. You brought back great memories, thank you!

I loved reading about your cruise. I must have found your blog a little over a year ago because I don’t remember you posting this. Our family took a cruise to the Baltic Sea area almost exactly a year ago. It was fun reading about your cruise. :) We had such an amazing time!

It is “hard” to decide what to do on vacation, especially with a cruise because of the time constraints.

The days at sea are awesome! That’s too bad that you only had one. We had at least two, maybe three.

Anyways, have a great day, Lindsey!