gettin’ down and dirty

apparently i’ve decided to be the cool mom this summer:
swim lessons
art classes
tons of bike rides
beach
planting a garden
and the list goes on…
its about time, i’m sure my kids are saying!
so i decided to stay consistent and press on with the fun:
last week silas asked if we could play in the mud.
i said sure, realizing i say no all too often.
we have a couple empty planters that were just filled with dirt.
here’s a quick tutorial for how to be a cool mom:
step 1 – just add water. period.

did i forget to mention step 2?
keep the hose out from step 1 and spray those muddy buddies off!
what are you saying yes to this summer?

Comments

Looks like a lot of fun and great way to stay cool!!!

My boys love mud! It's not so much fun for me when they are covered in it several times a day, a few days in row! All that washing! But kids will be kids!

Looks like fun!

Mommy of three says:

Oh I have so many pictures of my 3 covered in mud. We even have mud clothes because it is so crazy how often they want to go in. They really do love it, don't they?
    I'm saying yes to jumping in the pool a million times a day. Which equals loads of extra laundry, and clothes, both wet and dry strewn across the yard. I'm also saying yes to popsicles. Every afternoon. Which equals more laundry and sticky patios and sticky everything else.
    They're loving it.

Just like I love your blog. Thought you should know. :)
    Love from,
    Greta

nmassie218 says:

How fun!!

I love the picture of their feet. My little kids would love to play in the mud … you've inspired me.

I was a cool mom, and I AM a cool grandma..but I have never done that before! But I dig for worms, with my grands, and I catch lizards. That's close, eh?

Laryssa Herbert says:

My sister and I used to do that!

coolkids says:

you defintely are a cool mom!!!

Alycia (Crowley Party) says:

hahaha looks like fun!

Candace says:

I am learning to say YES more often too. It doesn't come naturally to me. :) This summer we have also done the pool days, art camp, t-ball and a summer gymnastics class. It has been our busiest summer yet, but we have had lots of FUN!! :)

KerriHD says:

I said yes to icecream and chocolate syrup on top of our belgin waffles for breakfast Sunday morning.

I felt very proud to say yes! Funny isn't it.

Keriann says:

So much fun! Mud is great! A few years ago my son and the kid next door made a mid slip n slide out in an empty dirt field by our house. It was Super fun to watch then get all muddy!

You win. Hands down. Yep. I don't know if I could do it….but my kids would definitely think I am a cool Mom. They would be in heaven!!I just have such a hard time with dirt. But, I guess if you are hosing them off afterwards it would be okay. Love the look on your daughters face during it. So fun!!

Shaundra from Loo-la-bee Simplicity says:

That's awesome! I finally said yes the other day when my daughter asked if she could play in the rain. She loved it. And yes, I'm the cool mom now. ;)

white wave design says:

i hope to be this cool of a mom one day! looks fun!

My Plate is Full says:

You go girl! Kids should be able to play in the mud!

Building a House and Home says:

It's so fun to be messy…if this was yesterday, they could have cleaned off in a rain shower oustide! The downpour yesterday made me think of how my mom would let my sister and I run around naked in rain when we had a real downpour. (We lived out in the middle of nowhere). We called it our raindance, and we thought we were soulmates to the native americans dancing for rain. Oh, fun childhood is. and how short.

yes to popsicles, hanging with my man on the porch after kids are in bed, and cooking with my daughter. small victories.

Anonymous says:

we all have our cool mom moments…Here is one…I use pudding for body painting..I make a couple different kinds and take the kids outside in there swimsuits and let them paint away on themselves…It also fun to lick your arms…I fill my small kiddie pool up with baby shampoo for a quick clean off later. Beth

My kids have BEGGED for Game Day. We had a game in every room in the house (except bathrooms!) and we had a circuit of games. Great bonding. Great fun. A great 2+ hours. But, I love your mud idea. My girls would love that too.

Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

You are a fun mom! I need to say "yes" to the pool more often…my pastey white legs will thank me. ;)

thedomesticfringe says:

Your kids will love you forever for this. Sometimes I let my kids go play out in a downpour. It's their best fun. All is good as long as there's no lightening. :-)
    -FringeGirl

melody-mae says:

okay so I am too late to be a 'cool' mom like you because the girls are grown, but maybe just maybe…I can be the 'cool' granny!!! :)