its not my bag, baby!

oh wait.   it is!

my bloom bag is my go-to bag lately – it feels so summery to me!
it is a pretty big bag so it can get pretty messy if i don’t stay on top of it.
here’s a look at the contents of my bag – candy wrappers and goldfish crumbs aside:

1 wallet
1 covered checkbook (holding biz and personal checks)
1 travel tissue case
the-most-beautiful-wallet-in-the-world holding gift cards and coupons
1 pen
1 wipes case (pretty much only use this for sticky hands now)
1 flip video camera
1 iphone
1 set of keys with caribeaner (a must have)
4 pairs of sunglasses
that’s right – 4 pairs!
one for me and one for each of the kids.
we all have light eyes and sneeze like crazy when we’re in the sun without eye protection.
its a hereditary thing – my mom does it, too.
but i reeeeeeally need a case for my sunglasses….
(hint: coming very soon to the shop!)

the mustard wallet is my everyday wallet from target.
i love the functionality of it.
see the $2 bill? its from my gram – so sweet!
she said to tuck it behind my i.d.
the checkbook cover was from one of my early batches of checkbook covers
– i adore the anna maria horner fabric!
the fossil wallet was a gift from nicole, but it doesn’t quite fit my everyday needs, but its too pretty to not use, so it holds all my biz cards, coupons, and gift cards.
each pouch has a different use.
the crayon roll migrates from the purse to the car to the playroom.
the tissue case comes in handy during snot emergencies.
like when we go outside without our sunglasses and start sneezing!

pouch #1:
the neccessities
girly products
compact mirror
cottonelle wipes (just in case)
band aids and neosporin
chubby button hair clip
mini bobbies and clear rubber bands
lotion
burts bees
mac lip liner (color: cork – i’ve been wearing it for 12 years!)
emergency candy stash
nail file
tide stain stick – never use
eye drops
tin filled with ibuprofen (tin from nicole’s old business – great logo, huh?)

pouch #2:
kid distractions
pad of paper
cars
polly pockets
bouncy ball
toy phone
lizards
my little ponies

pouch #3:
receipt pouch
the most necessary yet most disorganized pouch of all.

want to organize YOUR purse?
want to organize your LIFE? (ok, that may be going a little too far!)

other uses:
beach pouch – hold phone, cash, and keys – throw it in your beach bag so those little things don’t get lost.
gym pouch – gym card, keys, and ipod.
tween bag – fill with the necessities to tuck in her backpack.
car pouch – each kid gets a pouch filled with whatever they want for a car ride.
snack pouch – tuck pre-wrapped snacks for park trips or errands.
educational – perfect for a couple sets of flash cards for the car.
baby bag – toss into your purse: pacifier, teether, rattle…
extras – gift cards, coupons, receipts.

what would you use YOUR zippered pouch for?

Comments

tessica says:

i have three pouches plus a wallet and checkbook in my purse and nothing else…my pouches are definitely not as cute

I need one for the beach bag to hold my lim balm with SPF, money and ID.

Sourkraut says:

I can't believe how organized you are! I'm jealous. And you manage to do it in style too! I should probably make myself a few pouches and organize my hair clips, Blistex, paperwork, and all the other junk that seems to accumulate in my purse. I doubt mine would be nearly as pretty as yours, though!

undonegirl says:

I think coupons….

Marjorie says:

I SERIOUSLY love your Bloom Bag! That would make an amazing diaper bag! I'm definitely going to keep checking your shop for new additions!

This Texas Momma says:

I secretly love to be nosey, which I try to smother out at all cost, but thank you for indulging me with a quick peak into your purse! You are a girl after my own heart….I live to be organized and the idea of having mulitpule pouches is awesome! If I carried a purse I would totally have several too. BUT, I hate carrying a purse. All I have is my Vera Bradley wallet that fits my phone in it and has a strap for my wrist and keys. Just make sure the little dude is clean before we leave the house and we're good! (of course there is an emergancy diaper in the car with travel wipes, but it's been there for MONTHS)

that is so fun you showed this! I love that all of it really coordinates and looks so pretty! I really need to make some pouches, but yours are really lovely!

Beansieleigh says:

I would use an extra pouch like this for first aid/wellness type of things.. bandaids, a tube of triple-antibiotic ointment, aspirin, benedryl tablets, etc, etc.

nicole@http://theclarks-nicole.blogspot.com/ says:

I love all those pouches and your purse. makes me want to start looking for those things.

Pine Tree Home says:

I just said to Hubs I need a cute beach pouch for phones and some $.

Love this post. I think I might do one too. What's inside YOUR bag…gasp! I keep meaning to make one of those darling zippered bags, but haven't yet. I should just buy yours. I will go take a look/see.

Michele says:

The contents of your purse are very similar to mine except I don’t have the cute zippered pouches, which I’m pretty sure I need those now :) It’s nice to know that there are other moms who pack like a boy scout–Always be prepared. My little boy sneezes in the sunlight, too. My grandpa does the same thing. I’m a super nerd, but here’s what it’s called, photic sneeze reflex. I had no idea it had a name until my husband looked it up.

My Pleated Poppy Pouch holds four diapers (folded) and a small thing pack of wipes. Now I don't have to worry if I don't feel like lugging the diaper bag along. We're covered!

Hmm. I suppose I'll have to organize my purse now. :)

Jeanette says:

wow. your stash from your bag seems so organized. mine looks like that too. The first day I use it anyway! :)
    I love those pouches – they are on my "purchase when you actually get some money in your bank account" list. I need one to hold pull-ups and swim diapers. Then I need another one to hold my chapsticks, tissues, receipts, and folded up church bulletins. :)

Country Mouse says:

You stink!LOL just kidding!!! Wish I was as organized as you are!!LOL I love those little pouches…gotta get me some! And..I've been eyeing that fossil wallet for a long time……..I love it! :)

michael has his $2 bill from gram in his wallet. michael gave noah a $2 bill to carry in his wallet as well. so cute that that tradition has moved into the next generation.

Sarah Ann says:

Oh my!! I adore that bag!!!!!!!!

great post! It makes me want to clean out my bag and organize with your cute zipper pouches. Thanks for the inspiration this morning.

I Sew Lucky says:

ORGANIZED!!! Love those pouches!

gpa&gma says:

What a great idea. I love your organization skills. Maybe I wouldn't lose my mind trying to find things in my purse. Great Idea..Gramma Jean

Courtney says:

wow that is organized! i need to be more like that! i think i like the receipt idea the best, good thinking! i never have a good place for those

I'm thinking about the movie "One Fine Day" when Michelle Pfiffer puls off two costumes out of the contents in her purse and George Clooney loks at her in amazement and says, "Where do you get one of those bags?"
    Honestly….you're a prepared mom. I carry a lot of that in my bag too, it's just not as neatly organized. Looks like it's time for me to go shopping at Pleated Poppy again.

Melanie says:

I love, love, love this post…and your purse…and how organized it is. I agree with @Susan, I thought about One Fine Day when I was reading this, too!

I definitely need a pouch for kid distractions…my daughter just turned two and she's much harder to keep occupied when we are running errands. It would be so helpful to keep them in a pouch so that I don't end up with a purse full of toys at work.

P.S. This is my first time commenting and I just wanted to say that I LOVE your blog!

I would put everything that is just floating around in my bag in one! Isn't that the curse of big bags? I can NEVER find what I'm looking for at the moment. I definitely need to add a crayon roll. Smart lady!

A gal can never have too many zip pouches.
    I even have a larger zip pouches that holds a couple of my smaller zip pouches.
    Is that Waaaay Toooo Many??
    Hugs & ♥♥♥s
    Gerry

Makalani Adolpho, PLC says:

I love it! I need to get my purse all organized and compartmentalized. Is that a word? Oh well, love the pouches. TFS!

~Makalani
    Makaz Home

rachelizabeth says:

I have one pouch from you and a set my mother gave me. One holds medicines – the epi-pen, inhalers, band-aids, kleenex, ibuprofen, etc. (hint: I use a clean contact lens case for medicines. I have to carry zytrec with me at all times. The two sides of the lens case keep the zyrtec separate from other meds.) Another is my business one – it holds pens, a calculator, shopper cards, a tape measure, a small notepad. The third holds my beauty items – the nail file, lipsticks, hair bands, etc. The fourth holds my phone. Then I have my wallet, planner, sunglasses, hair brush, and sometimes a crayon roll. All this fits into a purse that is at least half the size of your bloom bag.

I love the pouches becuase they make switching bags so easy! I just grab the pouches and throw them into a different bag. Easy-peasy!

Celeste says:

love this. and… lindsey – you and I have pretty much the same "taste" in fabric colors & color combos… don't really know how to explain the colors I like – "muted brights" maybe?

and – yes. pouches are amazing. i keep practically everything in pouches… I use a checkbook cover to hold coupons too.

p.s. finally!! another gal that uses a plain carabiner to hold her keys! (I use a plain, silver one too)… everyone who ever sees my keys always asks me "why do you use a carabiner? that's for guys…and you're so girly!" what can i say? practicality of style for once. i've tried using a "pretty" keychain. just doesn't work.

Our Busy Little Bunch says:

You're inspiring me to organize my purse – HAHAHA

FROG PRINCESS says:

i would neee one for all my lip balm! i love my lip stuff and it is rubbing off on my daughter. plus i can never find it in my purse when i need it! then i would need another for all the littlest pet shop animals my daughter gives me to bring to work on a daily basis! she sneeks one in my pocket almost every morning for me for the day! the little pouches are a great idea and pretty cute too!

Your organization is great, I really like the idea of using pouches to organize the contents of your purse instead of just having everything just randomly placed throughout your bag. I could really use some pouches.

Deborah Rabbon says:

HA! this is too cute! and NOWAY im not showing everyone the embarassing contents of my bag! urs on the other hand is too cute not to share…hmmmm maybe i just need cute little pouches instead of my boring ones ;) i like the little kid toys idea…if only my bag wasn't heavy enough already!

Sturgmom says:

You have convinced me! I need several of those adorable pouches! My purse is always such a mess.

I wish that was MY bag, baby! I have a little zippered pouch that I keep my lip glosses in. You clearly are ready for anything!

mom's purses are like mary poppins bags, any need, any time! my kids are almost grown and they still look in my purse when they are bored- candy, gum, pen whatever!
    those pouches are adorable. i am always rummaging through for a lipstick or chapstick it would be a good catch all!

You have totally just inspired me to organize my purse/bag/diaper bag!! :) Thanks!

My Blessed Serendipity Life says:

Cute little pouches. I would use for garage sale cash.

I love the receipt idea! I like to use mine for lip glosses and beauty essentials:)

Biteofpunkinpie says:

I'm afraid the contents of my purse are a tad on the disastrous side lately, BUT you have me inspired. this week I WILL clean it out. I love the idea of using multiple zippered pouches to keep different groups of things organized. why haven't i thought of that? I especially like your 'keep kids occupied pouch'… I will definitely be copying that! Seems so much easier than running all over the house Sunday morning on the way out the door to church and grabbing a handful of crayons, a baby doll, a coloring book or mini magna doodle! Genius! I bet I could even whip up one of those traveling diaper cases (the ones that fit travel wipes & 1 or 2 diapers)… yes, you definitely have me inspired to bring a little organization into my life.

I'm pumped!

So funny- I was just thinking I need to graduate to a real purse. I've always carried a small one, but with one still in diapers and hopes to have one more I have such a hard time carrying around a purse and a diaper bag. I'm a teacher, though- so many this fall when school starts up I will take the plunge, buy a bigger bag (one of yours!) and give it a go. Do you have combo packages on your site? Need to go look….

my purse is sitting next to me and the contents scare me. I need some pretty zippered pouches!! :)

Mama Mote says:

I hate carrying around a purse/bag, but I have to. When I'm on a trip, I only take a fanny pack or a sling – not too big, because I don't like to bother with it. Now that I have a diabetes tester, I would use a pouch for extra bandaids, alcohol swabs, extra needles and testers. I could use another one for my meds. I would use one for nail clippers, file, eye drops and stuff like that so they would be in one place instead of on the bottom somewhere. I love your pouches. I have one for a gift, but I may keep it for myself now. I love your stuff and now that I have a job, I might just have to indulge once in awhile.

hiyaluv says:

this post is fan-freakin'-tastic! it made me laugh! i love the cars and my little pony figures-i love the sunglasses-i love the amount of stuff that any of us (women) could pull out of our purses. It is amazing what you could find in a purse. I love your idea of keeping receipts in one of your small bags-I need to do that in fact-get one of your small bags just for that!!!
    Thanks for the idea luv!
    smiles,
    gina
    ps-i was heartbroken when i missed your clearance sale today!

gevayandmatt says:

That toy distraction pouch is genius! I am still in the diaper bag phase, but looking forward to being able to carry a purse. However, I'm not trying to rush it :) !

Chelsea says:

I'm in college and I keep mine in my purse filled with pencils, pens, white-out and post it notes. I love it because otherwise those things are floating around the bottom of my (huge) purse and I can never find them! I need a few more zippered pouches!!

Wonder Mom says:

Oh no- I have bag(s) envy… :0)

Oh dear you have put me to shame with the stuffed in contents of my bags….& how I always seem to have my "must have" lip gloss in a different bag!!! You are WAY to organised….I need to get a purse or two I think!!

Marty Wolsey says:

What a great idea!! My purse is always full of the most random stuff. Right now I have a little bag of laundry soap, I`ve been carrying around for months. I love the idea of having a little pouch for the little toys (in case I need to entertain my boys) that always end up in the bottom of my bag. And for the little pouch to hold beauty, girly, first aid, whatever stuff.

violetsareblue says:

love this post! i can't wait for the sunglasses holder. put me 1st on the list!

what would I use it for? Hm, to brighten my day a little. I could do with that today.
    You are super organised and I love your work.
    (spotted one with red and white spots. LOVE IT!)

i just love this post. your bag is great! i just love getting to see inside and how you organize it all….i LOVE to be organized!!! i definitely need more pouches. i have one for necessities but love the little toy one you have. thanks for sharing!

carmar76 says:

I adore big bags, and little pouches to organize big bags. Thank you for this post!! : )

OH! And I have a $2 that lives in my chequebook. It was a gift from my grandpa, and I like not spending it because then I'm never truly "broke."

Thanks for sharing your purse organization tips. I don't carry big bags because I feel like things end up in a big black hole and I can't find them when I need them. Going to try using zippered pouches to stay more organized. Thanks.

Justine says:

And this is why a woman's purse is so heavy! I wish sometimes I can just stuff my cell phone, keys, and wallet into my pockets and just go from there. Thanks for the organization tips. I usually just dump things into my purse/backpack and I'm gone.

dkward02 says:

Do you ever give tutorials on how to create the flowers??? I would love to make headbands or other flowery accessories…Love them!

pleated poppy says:

dkwardo2 – i actually won't be giving a tutorial on my posy pins. they are kind of like the bread and butter of my business – sorry!

dkward02 says:

Just figured I would ask–I obviously understand why you wouldn't :-) Thanks!! I will have to order one in the future!! I love them!!

You are a genius! Apparently, what my messy large bag is missing is pouches – because I can NEVER find what I'm looking for.

sydney @ memorable minutes says:

Hi Lindsey – I wanted you to see what I have done with my bags:

and of course, your zippered pouch i have is inside holding my makeup and i just ordered 2 more from you!

RachellaBella says:

I could have a pouch for each of my children AND husband to carry around all of the things they routinely ask me for as we're out and about. Really. What's a mom's/woman's purse for anyways? I love the organization ideas and will be putting them to use before we head out on holidays!

Melodie Monberg says:

where do I buy these? Love the kid pouch with toys…would love to get a few…where is your site?

Melodie

pleated poppy says:

hi melodie! you can use almost any of the links in this post to get to my shop, or go to thepleatedpoppy.com and search under zippered pouches!

Sandi a::k::a KnitMyRhino says:

I am so far behind on my blog reading, GAH! But I just wanted to thank you for spilling out your bag for us! Takes a strong woman, and that is not me, to reveal the secret intricacies of one's bag/purse! BRAVO!

I am an organised person especially when it comes to my handbag, I hate looking for things when I’m in a hurry, its so frustrating! there is an invention which hunki-dori have introduced by tintamar. Its an insert which has compartments to organise all your bits and when you want to change your handbag, you just need to take out the insert and put it into another bag with all your content!!! amazing! I love it but see for yourself @ http://www.hunki-dori.com x