uninvited guests

as i’ve mentioned already, we’re visiting my bff and her family this week.
they live in the woods.
ok, not really, but you’d think so after reading about our escapades.
since we’ve been here i now have not one but 2 stories about uninvited guests.
the first night we got here we transferred our sleeping kids into their beds.  silas is sharing a room with us, so we just layed him down on our bed.
as i am walking out the door of his/our room to go unload the car, i see our first uninvited guest standing at our bedroom doorway.
a mouse.
an itty bitty teeny mouse.
but still… A MOUSE!!!
so i freak out and yelp as quietly as i can so i don’t wake all 7 of the sleeping babes,
then ohsobravely run in and swoop up sleeping silas so he doesn’t get eaten by the mouse.
i may get a little dramatic when rodents are involved.
so the 2 menfolk go into the room.
lots of banging and crashing ensues.
then they come out laughing.
they didn’t even have to catch the mouse in the end.
turns out they scared it so bad that it just croaked on its own!
maybe had a little heart attack or something!
(sorry if you are a rodent lover – i’m not).
ok, story number 2.
nicole and i are in her kitchen and the kids are on the back porch eating lunch.
in through the back door scrambles a teeny chipmunk.
ACROSS HER FLOOR & UNDER HER COUCH!!!

so we instantly start screaming like a couple ninnies and jump to the highest surface we can find.
after chasing this thing around for a good while we finally get it cornered in her playroom,
but then we can’t get it out.

after many attempts to scare it out of the playroom and out the back door,
i finally open a window that it finally finds and scampers out of.

then it had the nerve to come back and finish off the kids’ lunch!

*shivers*
blech!  i am not a fan of this kind of living!
and i am perfectly ok with you all laughing at me.
you’re welcome.

Comments

Omiword, I FEEL THE SAME WAY! We had a mouse guest in our pantry that I actually TOUCHED by accident! I wore my Ugg boots (in April!) around the house for a week afterwards convinced he was going to come and eat me.

For the {long} account of it, you can read here: http://babblingabby.blogspot.com/2010/04/real-long-account-of-mouse.html.

Have a great, rodent-free day!!!!

We have all kinds of critters…outside…..for 2 years (during the winter months) we had 200 buzzards that lived in our evergreen trees…..that would have really got you going, hah. This week there was a skunk in the yard…..I know nice.
    Once my son caught a mouse in one of those no kill boxes. He put it in the trash can (why???) and took the can to the curb. The mouse got out and beat him back into the garage…..hah.
    Loved how the chipmunk cam back and ate the kids lunch. Have fun.

Yup, laughing! :)

The pictures are priceless! I had a bird in the house not long ago and the only thing that I could think of to capture it was a colander. My kids think I'm crazy!

Megan @ Meanwhile... says:

We live in the country and have had in our house: a weasel, a packrat, 2 bats, salamanders, voles, and countless mice. And I've raised a big enough ruckus that our 100 year old farm house is pretty much critter proof now. :)

Haha. Not laughing at you…promise. More of a nervous laugh becuause I totally get how you feel about those pesky varmits!

mice. your parents planted mice in the house when we moved in there (hehe)… and then there was that MOLE that welcomed us in the b.l. house last summer. wonder if we'll have any uninvited visitors when we are together next week?

Have to admit, I am rolling! How did you manage to grow up at Bass Lake and not get used to creatures? we have a ton here too, living on an orange grove!

Our Story says:

Umm, you grew up in the woods Lil' Sis. Mountain lions and bears, etc. When did you become such a wuss?

Much sympathy! I have friends who have seen me sobbing over the terror of pests. When I saw the picture of the one running under the couch, the hair on my head stood up. And I have really long hair.

Ugh, I would have been up on chairs screaming also. Although, I do feel kind of bad about the poor widdle mousie-not too bad though!

That is hilarious! I love the pictures of y'all trying to get it out! I would have done the same thing!

Well I would just eww… not in my house… but I am like that with spiders… and massive one crawled onto my porch (with a MASSIVE ROACH) and I took the kids to the park for a week…. I don't know something about watching the grass move when they do… as they are approaching you that gives me shivers!

Yuck! I don't like critters! I hate hate hate mice and rats! I'm sorry for you. just YUCK! But, visiting your BFF, that's awesome! Enjoy the rest of your visit.

Oh, I'm with you. Right now I'm listening to squirrels running back and forth across my roof. I'm fixing to go out and turn the hose on them. I hate those buggers, they eat my garden along with their friends the million wild rabbits that run around the yard. They are kind of cute though, especially the babies.

Brooklyn says:

HA. That reminds me of the time you, me, and leslie camped out on your parents beach. I awoke to a huge raccoon in my face, shreiked, and threw my shoe at him as he ran away. I dont think you or leslie even woke up. I slept with my head in my sleeping bag after that.

Sounds like she might need a cat! LOL! Our cats keep most little critters away and we are way up in the hills. :o)

EEK! I have mice in my apt. right now and I am not embarrassed to say that I scooped my sleeping toddler off of the floor last night when I saw one scurrying by! Needless to say, I'm headed to the store to buy mouse traps TODAY!

LacyHolly says:

haha, too funny! i'm the one in my family who is pest (of all sizes) control if my father is not around! my parents recently had a bat in their house and my mom id scared to DEATH of bats. my dad was home, but i knew his solution would be to get a racket and kill it…i just couldn't live with that. i caught him in a big container and let him back outside :)

The Chubby Dove says:

I'm that way about bugs. Rodents don't bother me, but still…they need to stay outside.

Hope the rest of your stay is critter free. :)

Keisha - Cupcake Wishes & Birthday Dreams says:

ooooh, I hate mice. We have a serious ant problem and my DH things he's the Orkin Man! HE'S NOT and they won't go away….ooooyyyy!

sydney @ memorable minutes says:

that is funny. i don't know what i would have done with a chipmunk. but you can laugh at me too. when i was living in nyc, there was a mouse in my apt, and what did i do? i called my brother all the way in atl! yeah like that was gonna help!

Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

Is it weird that I would completely have a breakdown if I saw the mouse, but the chipmunk not so much?? Maybe I've read too many picture books, but chipmunks seem so cute and friendly. Not so dirty and rodentish as mice. Ick.

Denissa says:

HA HA HA!!! This is too funny :) Isn't it amazing how much a little critter can FREAK us out? I CAN NOT stand mice either!! eeekk! :)

I am sooooo with you on this… I HATE RODENTS!!! Our cat brought one in the house once and my oldest son had a friend over to stay the night and my husband was at work.. So like a ninny I screamed and we chased that thing and I made my sons friend kill it( is that bad of me?)… It is kind of funny NOW!!

Honey, I would have freaked out, too! Although I think chipmunks are cute, they're much cuter outside…hehe!

Celeste says:

lol!
    good times.

OH.MY.WORD. I am laughing so hard! But I am right there with you. I sent my husband down to help my friends husband catch a mouse in their basement. They were making fun of us for being scared of tiny mouse and so they bravely started poking into the carpet rolls on the floor with their shovel and Mark came out with the mouse on the end of his shovel. When he saw the mouse on the end of the shovel, he screamed and threw the mouse and shovel across the room. The mouse died in mid air. And I died laughing.

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

the firefly moon says:

we live about an hour from where you are… maybe more. still new to everything.

Heidi M says:

My cat, Jimmy, brings home a mouse a day and leaves it on the deck. I love her because she is keeping the mouse population down. My 13 year old son has to shovel them up – love him too!!!!
    I just received the petal drop necklace and zippered pouch I ordered and absolutely love them!!!
    Thank you!!!!!

meg duerksen says:

this same thing happened on our vacation! my friend jen and i were up LATE into the night talking and she says "OH my goodness! a mouse just ran behind you!" then we couldn't find it. then 20 minutes later she says "THERE! on the stove!" and sure enough a little mouse on the stove. UGH. we were so disgusted.
    we went to bed so we didn't have to think about it.
    and then we had the men buy mouse traps in the morning.

i am REALLY glad we didn't catch a chipmunk in it. :)

Chipmunks, we know chipmunks.
    Recently one held us hostage for four and a half hours.
    He ran into the house and hid and ran for the next four and a half hours.
    We finally swoshed him out the dining room door.
    They are little and they are fast.

Hugs & ♥♥♥s,
    Gerry

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too says:

This post was so funny! I loved the last picture!