wiww & gettin’ messy

first the messy part:
my sister-in-law was a preschool teacher for years and has all these really fun ideas for little ones.
whereas my fun ideas are more like, “hey!  let’s clean the potty!”
but she had told me about playing with shaving cream, and how fun it was for kids.
she suggested adding a couple drops of food coloring, but i decided plain white was messy enough.
so i rounded up a couple cans of $1.39 barbasol from walmart, a couple cookie sheets, and we were good to go.

we invited henry to come join in on the fun.

little did i know the sweet boy is not a huge fan of messy,
but he willingly dove in after silas basically forced him.

once the girls got in on it all craziness broke loose.

apparently tactile projects are not stimulating for older kids.
they are just boring.
but what is fun is rubbing anything messy all over your body, clothes, and hair.
oooh. fun.

i was very thankful to put the outdoor shower to use.
and so were the kids, ’cause you know i’m willing to get out the hose to spray them off!
so here’s my encouragement for the day:
let your kids get messy.
it won’t kill you and they’ll think you are the coolest.
until bedtime.
*****
and now for what i wore wednesday!
this was again a bad week!
i’m going to blame it on swim lessons in the middle of the day and the fog not breaking up until afternoon everyday.
who wants to dress cute for the pool, in the fog?
sweats were my go-to outfit of choice most days, so i basically avoided the camera for the most part.

oh look! i got dressed!
cardi – old navy
shirt (supposed to be a dress that shrank) – old navy
leggings – walmart
flats – target
scarf – forever21
glasses – target
(i see now that my mirror is reeeeally dirty.  but cleaning it would require, um, effort so there’s a pretty good chance that it’ll look the same – or worse – next week.  keepin’ it real.)

ok, its not nice to laugh!
seriously, stop.
my husband is big into cycling so i thought what better way to connect than to go with him.
we borrowed a friend’s tandem road bike and went on a little (ahem) 30 mile ride.
it was awesome!
until the next day when i wanted to cry when i tried to move.
tank top – target
super hot padded bike shorts – onesource cycling
running shoes – because i’m not cool enough yet to have bike shoes.

and here’s my reality, why i started wiww in the first place –
so i wouldn’t dress like this!!!
oh well.  when people ask how i do it all, clearly you can see now that i don’t!
sweatshirt – target
tank – target
hat – ???
sweats – forever21
shoes – payless
thank you so much to all of you who have been linking up with me!
i have so much fun seeing what everyone else is wearing!
i think last week we had over 30 people join in – wow!

Comments

Ana Paula@ Get Craftin says:

Thank you for hosting such a fun linky party! i love getting inspiration from everyone else and of course from your cute self!! Thank you thank you!!

Erin @ Frundy says:

I definitely don't let my kids get messy enough. I feel like I'm not one of those "fun" moms. I'll have to try to let loose a bit. I think it's great that you and your hubs went riding together. I love to golf with my hubby, but this summer is just getting away from us. I haven't even gone once yet. Have a great rest of the week!

What I Did Today says:

Omg! I just love the pic of your kids covered head to toe in shaving cream! Hahah! Awesome. They must have smelled like a guy for the rest of the day. :)

Hi Lindsey. I used to let my kids finger paint with shaving cream in the bathtub. I would give them each a can, and let them spray it like crazy all over the tub and tile. They had a ball!! Learned their ABC's and all. Another good thing to do, but your kids might be too old for this one. Give them each a big bucket and a wide paint brush. Fill the bucket with water and let them pain EVERYTHING outside. Toddlers love this one too. Ever make homemade playdoh? My kids loved that too, and now I do with the grands. Have a great day.

I love the shaving cream idea! I'm going to have to try that with my boys. They'll love it!

tamara_baugh says:

I also teach preschool & shaving cream is a huge hit with the kids, plus it cleans the tables. Bonus! I love the idea of letting my own toddlers "paint" everything outside with water as Kris suggested. Thank you, Kris!

Lindsey, I LOVE your Target glasses. Very cool & sophisticated! What kind are they?

Lemonade Makin' Mama says:

Girl, we JUST did the shaving cream thing and posted on it last week!! It was hysterical.

I Sew Lucky says:

Great post!! Messy!

Lisa Lewis says:

Try pudding sometime! Doesn't burn the eyes, same mess but they "discover" that it tastes good and that changes the photo opps completely!

btw rockin' the bike shorts! Glad you two liked the tandem. It is the most regular fun we have as a couple, plus it's good for us in so many ways! The muscles get strong and don't ache –eventually!

Celeste says:

oh yeah – shaving cream is always a hit.
    (and! it's a great way to clean table-tops.) i have the kids in my kindergarten class wash the tables w/ shaving cream… they love it – it's fun & it's getting some cleaning done. ;)

Shaving cream would be a hoot at our house. Love the hat!

My kids would be in heaven doing that!!

i'm totally with you on the cycling!! my husband is a huuuge cyclinst & i'm not cool enough to have bike shoes (or even a road bike) yet either! i'm getting there! you are definitely rockin the spandex!

Chipper Chickie says:

You are so cute – even in biker shorts! Not fair. Not fair at all! :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

I enjoyed this post, b/c I am also not much for messes. But seeing how much fun the kids had with the shaving cream made me want to let my little ones go for it. :) Thanks for sharing!

melody-mae says:

man girl, you look adorable in whatever you wear. If only I could throw on a hat and sweats and look as adorable as you! LOVE the shaving cream idea, great fun!

Love this part of the week.
    You look so fit and toned in those bike shorts and top.
    What do you do to stay in shape exercise wise?
    I am still trying to lose that last 2-3 kgs from #4 who is now 20 months old!
    Even if I worked out really hard my arms would never look that good!! What's your secret?
    The shaving cream idea is cool. I saw it on Meg's Whatever blog.
    Must give that a go once summer arrives in Australia.
    Have a great week! :)

no food coloring! you would have ended up with tie-died kiddos.

i love the pic of the three covered in shaving cream.

it's so hot here i can't even consider wearing sweats.

you crack me up! i love that you are so down to earth and I LOVE that you are so laid back that you let your kiddos make a mess!
    smiles,
    gina

found your blog recently and I <3 it! just had to pop in and say hello! i'm new to blogging and excited to start this fun new journey! p.s. i love your son's name (we are thinking about Silas for our [someday] son too after my husband's great great grandfather!)
    tarabtaylor@gmail.com

Anonymous says:

Shaving cream is very fun to play with. We did in school. tk

Adventures In Babywearing says:

You look great in yellow!! :)

Steph

Mommy Moxie says:

Thanks for the What I Wore Wednesday link party! I finally found some time to participate. Can't wait for next week.

lulubloom says:

Ok, now. I WISH I looked as cute as you do on your *bad* days as I do on my good days! I marvel at how you turn Target/Old Navy pieces into something fantastic. I have clothes from those places, but mine never look so cute. And to have thighs that don't touch in the middle… I might give my pinky finger. Need an extra? Love your clothing posts… especially with dirty mirrors. Keep 'em up!

Em @ Bunch of Scrap says:

I am linking up but it's laughable. I just can't take a picture of myself! You are so cute and my current blog crush. By the way, they have Barbasol at the 99 cent store!