garage sale finds

i am getting all the decorations up for silas’ party tonight and it is looking so cute!!!
*giddy*
this is always my favorite part of parties – the set-up.
i generally think of 10 new ideas as i’m setting up,
so i like to start the day before or early the day of so i hopefully have time to add in the extras.
*****
yesterday i gave you a look at my garage sale finds i scored when i was at nicole’s house last month.

the basket was a buck, each of the jars were about $2 each, and the turquoise sugar pot was a dollar.

and the best find EVER…
TWO DOLLARS!
i have been eying a mustard gumball machine at a local shop that i think is over $100.
the only thing missing on this was the top piece that holds the lid on.
sean was able to find a nut that worked just fine.

here’s how they are living their new lives:

remember when i gave you a look at my master bath?
the counter has been bare forever because anything i put there got in the way of the hand towel hanging above, or it didn’t seem to have a purpose other than to fill the space.

now i have 3 great little jars that hold things i use daily!
even better, they are low enough that the towel doesn’t get in their way.

i love the ridges on the jars – old palmolive and burma-shave pots!
the wire basket (dish drainer, i think) sits next to my sewing machine holding things i’m currently working on.
all i had to do to the gumball machine was clean it up.
as much as i love the look of gumballs,
i opted not to have a constant battle with “can i have a gumball?”,
so i filled it with gold fish crackers.
unfortunately, the crackers are too small and jam the parts inside,
so we may actually have to go the route of something larger and round.
my mom suggested marbles, which would be adorable, but not so edible.
any suggestions?

the turquoise pot is waiting to be filled with salt  next to my stove
and the other jar is destined to be filled with buttons.

Comments

well if you don't want a sweet, then maybe raisins. But if you were okay with sweets you could do:
    jelly beans
    tic tacs
    nerds
    plain M&Ms
    reese's pieces or
    jaw breakers….

But that might not be the best idea with the littles…

You could fill it with Atomic fireballs. They are edible, but may be too hot for your kids, which eliminates that battle. Cute finds–I would love jars like that for my bathroom.

Did the gumball machine really come with that stand?? That's awesome! I love it!!

Katherine says:

Awesome deal on the gumball machine!

love the garage sale finds! you could put yogurt covered raisins in the gumball machine :)

Heather at Blessed Little Nest says:

what about round cereal like kix? that could be fun and maybe small enough not to get smooshed.

i adore the color of that gumball machine! i've only seen them in red before. i just love the yummy shade of yellow that yours is. super duper cute!!

I love your gumball machine. And I loved the goldfish idea … two bad it doesn't work.

Mama Mote says:

I saw the lists above and was thinking the same thing. Jelly Bellys was my first thought, even though they aren't round. Were you trying to think "healthy"ish?

i'm not sure how *healthy* they are, but those "yogos" thinges. they are yogurt balls, and probably tiny enough to fit. you'd have to get a lot. i was thinking fill the gumball machine up with buttons for a cute decoration. what a great find!

I love the yellow gumball machine! I have had a red one for years! It currently sits in my kitchen filled with Skittles. I have used M&M candies as well. I have my kids "earn" a coin to use in the gumball machine as a small reward. It only spills out a few at a time. Bonus is they don't get stuck ;-)
    Have fun with the b-day party!

Hannah Rebekah says:

I tagged you! Come and get the tag off my blog.

~Hannah Rebekah
    P.S Oh and I love your house!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top says:

Great finds. I have jars in my bathroom holding cotton balls and q-tips. I love the look. The gumball machine is too cute. I understand your dilemma because if I had a gumball machine, my kids would try to eat gumballs all day long. Maybe you could try a "one gumball per day" rule. Have fun at the party tonight!

Elizabeth & Travis Harville says:

how about peanuts? i love your treasures :)

I have an old red gumball machine just like that in my kitchen. We got it off Craigslist for a steal! I love it! Ours is currently filled with Skittles (we've done gumballs and M&M's too my favorite is to use the holiday M&M's at Halloween, Christmas, Valentines, etc.) We have it set so only 3 or 4 come out at a time and it does take a penny to make it work. We've had it for a couple years now and the constant asking for whatever is in there has stopped. Every once in awhile they ask for a penny (the jar of pennies sits high on a shelf) but they usually have to earn it! Our friends love it too! A lot of kids bring their own pennies over to get some candy before they leave. It's so fun!

*swoon*
    i have been on a hunt for a gum ball machine myself…cheap though! this is awesome and looks so cute. great garage sale finds!

The gumball machine is amazing! Doesn't it just make your day (week) to score such a great find. Enjoy.

Lisa Renee says:

LOVE the finds…here is an idea for the gumball..
    I have been using marbles as discipline, an idea that I got out of my Family Fun Mag. We fill jam jars to get rewards. Its GREAT 1) its a visual consequence or reward 2) I can take them out at my will and reward them at my will. If you had marbles in it they could get their own out to reward themselves…I kinda wish they could do it themselves sometimes, you would just have to monitor it and put them back in if you needed to.

Stephanie@cre8tive says:

Hi Lindsey, I love your finds! Especially the gum ball machine. What about using chocolate covered raisins? Oh and I love your new designs..might be seeing me shopping again at your shop.

Lisa Renee says:

PS.. still jealous of that bag in the pic!

just me and z says:

LOVE your post! Those garage sale finds are GREAT!
    As far as the gumball machine (which i adore!) I would probably steer clear of the yogurt or chocolate covered items if you keep it by the door. Sun might melt them!
    I would probably use the machine for more of a storage in my craft room(would look lovely with all of my ribbon in there! lol)
    It's too bad the goldfish don't work. That idea is great, and my 4 year old LOVES munching on those every day. I can't really think of anything large enough to put in there that is also round. Would be cute at a party with grapes in it! :)
    Good luck and let us know what you decide!

how about cornpops? Is that just a Canadian cereal? I think they would be just about right.

Jessabells says:

Great finds! love the gumball machine. Cocoa puffs?

Melissa Moore says:

OMG that gumball machine is adorable and what an amazing price. Love how you used everything that you bought.

Very cute finds. Esp. the gunball machine. Like the idea of jelly beans.

Ooops, gumball………that's what happens when you have had a headache for almost 6 days.

Jelly Bellies???? miss you girl, MUAH <3

Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

Love the way you've repurposed everything. The only thing I can think of for the gumball machine is M&Ms, but that could be a deadly combo. :s

c. griffith says:

yogurt covered raisins or reese's puffs cereal :)

Cindy Kilkenny says:

Skittles would be my choice. Of course, they wouldn't last very long around here.

Thanks for the jar photos. I sometimes forget that even the most simple things can freshen up a space.

Rocio Lewis says:

you can put pepper mint twist, i would look pretty, but i don't know if you kids like them…

Gumball Machine Ideas:

Peanuts (maybe minus the shell)
    Almonds

Buttons
    Cereal

I would die to have that machine! I'm so jealous. My dad actually invented the spiral gumball machine. (the Wizard if you google it) So we have several around our house. We have filled them with jawbreakers for my hubby and bouncy balls for my son. He loves them and once he's gotten a few out I will just gather them up and put them back in the machine to play with another day. Fun SANS cavities. My dad also converted one of his into a fish tank- VERY cool!

Yogurt covered raisins? Let us know what you end up using- such a neat find!

what great finds! those jars are too cute! i think yogurt or chocolate covered something might work, but like someone else mentioned it might melt by the window and then it wouldn't be so pretty. maybe it should be filled with buttons and placed in your craft room . . .

too cute! great finds! Two dollars is SHOCKING! Congratulations :)

Love the gumball machine most of all and I can't believe you found it for $2! I was also going to suggest m&ms, like some other commenters.

byLGD Glass Jewelry says:

what about jujubes candy? they prolly won't melt like M&M's altho they're not round, they are pretty small and no one will choke on them. (i'm kinda freakish about things kids choke on) anyway, they're also super tiny and the perfect thing for little hands. :)

MaryJanes and Galoshes says:

The gumball machine is so cute! I once saw one that was made water tight to hold a goldfish, a real one obviously. That would be perfect for the color of yours! I want one!

Taylor

my vote is for lemon drops! love seeing your finds and their new homes!

The new pretzel M&Ms are big and round and soooooo good…that is definately what I would put….love the gumball machine I've been searching for one myself

i have jars holding the same goodies in my bathroom…but my jars aren't as awesome.

i think you should put "m el'm's" in the gumball machine. actually i think i should "store" that gumball "maCHEEN" at my house.

i miss you. i'm going through withdrawals BAD!

My Plate is Full says:

Very creative way to use all those garage sale finds!

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life says:

Everything looks great! Maybe gummy bears? fruit snacks?

Fill it with Jelly Bellies! I saw that on a blog somewhere and have been wanting to do it ever since!

Anonymous says:

some kind of cereal…like Trix or cocoa puffs…something small and round and would make a good treat

I have a red gumball machine that my sweet husband gave me for my birthday. It is sitting empty in my kitchen right now because my littles were "finding" money everywhere (even on my dresser) and stuffing it in to get gumballs and skittles all the time. I love the cereal and peanuts ideas and I think I'm going to try that for a while. I hate to leave it empty.

I have been eyeing a machine myself. I want to find the deal you did. I love the color.

So, so cute!

Cool! I was going to say cereal. You could probably even get away with Cheerios, though clearly not as fun as Goldfish!

What a fabulous find! Skittles work great and you can change the colors out by buying different flavored bags.

Cool finds…I love garage sales. Love the gumball machine. You really scored.

How do you feel about pretzel M&M's

we had an idea for the bubble gum container… fish bowl!

you'd have to seal it somehow, and it would be a pint to clean, but would be a SUPER COOL FISH BOWL.

Wow…great finds!!!

Obviously the gum ball machine is the best…but I’m loving those fabrics in the basket of things you are working on! :)

I keep old marbles in mine – but I sure like the look of the crackers – really sets off that color!

I love all your finds! MY MOST FAVORITE is the yellow gumball machine! I have been wanting one for months!!!!!! I’ve thought of even buying a red one and painting it. Totally awesome!

What awesome finds! That gumball machine is incredible – and that PRICE! Oh, my!

i found a gumball machine (minus the stand) at goodwill a few weeks ago. i decided to fill it with marbles. they were cheap too! a buck a bag at toys r us!

I love the bag hanging next to the gumball machine. Where’d you get it?

I’m so glad I stumbled upon this. I have an old yellow one that my father gave to me as a present as a child. He thought it was neat, I thought it was a little kooky but I’ve held onto it all these years, shuffling it around and storing it at times. Now I feel inspired to bring it out and do something with it. At the current moment, it just hangs out in the corner of our study, filled with paper confetti.

This is awesome. I have a blue one that I purchased a few weeks ago. Mine wasnt too too expensive, but I can tell you it wasnt $2. Great find!!!

Mr. Goodwill Hunting