why?

why is it that when i should be planning all the fun details of silas’ party on friday,
that instead i’m thinking about repainting some furniture?
or instead of getting the spots off my couch,
i’d rather make some cute pillow covers?
why don’t i go through my mail right away,
but instead i just grab the magazines and let the rest pile up?
why do i have such a hard time finishing something i start?
i am a perpetual project starter, not so much a finisher.
perfect example:
i have this ikea ottoman that we’ve had for years.
i decided about a year ago (yes, a year ago)
that i wanted to make a fun slip cover for it.
i bought some fabric that matches the message board we made.
the message board that still has christmas cards on it.
that was for the top, then i wanted something funky, like limey green burlap on the bottom.
i only got as far as the top.
it has been sitting, unfinished, in my living room for a year now.
so i need to set myself a goal.
my goal will not be to get it done this week.
that would be setting myself up for failure.
well, that or we just wouldn’t have any food at silas’ party.
so my goal is to have that ottoman finished before school starts at the end of the month.
doable, right?
what unfinished projects do you have?
please, tell me i’m not the only one!

Comments

kelley blake says:

I am right there with you! I can't even count how many projects I have started, thought about starting or have bought the materials for and now they just sit there staring at me. I'm just glad to know I'm not alone!

Thanks for admitting that! I have 5 trillion. Ok, well probably not that many, just feels like it. I'm trying REALLY hard to not buy anything new until I have some of them done. I think I'll set a few goals for myself! Thanks

Melissa @ Domestic Goddess In Training says:

Nope, not the only one. The one that is most visibly is a globe I bought. I want to repaint the wood base and the brass pieces. It has been papered, taped off, taken apart and sitting on top of my living room bookshelf for about 3-4 months =) definitely not the onle one!!!

Oh my, I'm the same way!! I'm supposed to be getting my house ready for a realtor to come over and oh, hey, I should sew a new dress for the girls this weekend, or hey that $5 garage sale desk is still sitting in my garage (been there for a month) waiting for a paint job. You're not alone!! :)

Domestically Sassy says:

Unfinished projects? I'm the queen of Unfinished projects! It's sad! Maybe I'll grab one of mine and finish it before school starts also…it's a chair slipcover. I'll let you know if I get it done. ;)

Kahler and Katy says:

I might be one of the worst. I had surgery early this summer and all I did was start projects… and then my husband and I moved to Africa. Now all those projects will have to wait 2-3 years before they're even LOOKED AT again! :)

Yep, it's the sign of true creative genius. Unfinished projects. I have an old window frame that I've been wanting to make into a message board. It's been in my closet for over a year and my goal was to get it done this summer. I'd better hurry up! So don't be so hard on yourself! You're way too creative to have only one project going!

What I Did Today says:

It is soooooo good to hear that I am very not alone in this. **sigh** I've got too many to list but let's just say I've got piles of clothes for upcycling, piles of papers for journal making, and piles of frames for wall decorating. I don't even let myself go to the thrift store anymore until those piles are gone.

I also have an ottoman that needs recovering :) I love your fabric… hope you get it done soon!

I would list for you all my unfinished projects, but that would just be wrong. It would take up too much room on your lovely blog and be a post all its own. You are not alone!

You are definitely NOT the only one. I have a half torn apart chair that I'm going to reupholster sitting in my hallway with old mildewey batting and staples all over the place. Totally safe for my little ones. I just figure if it is in the middle of my living space I won't be able to ignore it. We'll see …

you are NOT alone! it is the story of my life. i have the makings of a super cute cork board for my office just sitting in a corner and then have been there for QUITE a while!! so thanks for the reminder and some inspiration…

…now, back to that pile of magazines…

carlisle clan conversation... says:

yep, ditto, same here…sigh. i just ya know have an etsy shop created a year ago closed for the big reveal that has never happened. in any case, love the fabric & can't wait for the reveal…I'll check in next year…I kid, I kid. good luck and send some way too.:)

I swear to you, I have crafty ADD. I have so many projects started right now. The love seat that I started to recover, the countless quilts I have begun, the frame outside that needs painting, the rug I need to finish making, plus ALL the other projects that are floating around in my brain taunting me each night.

Of course, that's not stopping me from planning on redoing the two kids rooms in a couple of weeks. Oh wait, there was also that knitting I started to learn…

I am totally borrowing your title of perpetual project starter…….sigh! My hubby will get a good laugh at this tonight! Do you tend to be a perfectionist? I believe that is my problem. The sad part is my teen daughter is the same way. You should see my dining room table right now. Two sewing machines set up side by side. At least I finished one of my bags last week, but she hasn't finished any of her projects. Right next to the table is my china cabinet that is waiting to be refinished (just can't decide on the color)it was in the garage, but hubby made me bring it in hoping it would get me motivated — ummm that was at easter time. I think things are easier without little ones, but who knows………. :)

Christina says:

Let's see …. the biggest unfinished project is our basement! I'm ALMOST finished unpacking but I keep sitting down at the computer or coming up with other things that must get done. BUT I'M GETTING UP RIGHT NOW AND FINISHING!! Ackkkkkkkkkkkkk ……….

oops I should have proofread my post — I meant to say easier without little ones under foot

nicole@http://theclarks-nicole.blogspot.com/ says:

I wish I could say I have projects I am working on,but I am not talented like you at all. I cannot sew to save my life. I do have house projects, like decluttering and deep cleaning things I keep putting off, but I wish I had fun projects like you.
    I love seeing what you up your sleeve next though. I love following your blog/

Erin @ Two Story Cottage says:

My name is Erin and I too am a perpetural project starter. I blame it on the creative mind! :)

Stephanie says:

I repainted and decorated my entry way and hallway through the upstairs about 9 months ago ~ well, all of it except for the stairs. I have one stair painted this funky tan that I decided I hated and planned to go back to white. Best laid plans…I still have NOT FINISHED it and it would probably be easily done in one evening.

Well, Lindsey, coming from someone who has had one serious case of ADD today, read a magazine during lunch and ignored the bills, vacuumed one room then stopped to play with leather, I totally get you. It's possible we were separated at birth.

I think the lime green at the bottom would be gorgeous and no, I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility to finish the thing by the end of the month. :)

someone (you) once told me, "it takes 90% of the time to get 10% of the work done." i think you were talking about building a house, but i like to apply it to all other areas of my life too.

i'm going through lindsey withdrawals. going to look for chocolate to help remedy the symptoms.

i am in love with damask right now! gorgeous print!
    smiles,
    gina

ashley.zel says:

hmmmm

chair recover 90% done stopped working on it 6 months ago
    Painting pie safe 90% done stopped working on it last week
    Painting dining room 50% done stopped working on it 4 months ago
    Curtains in the dinette 75% done stopped working on them the day I started
    Curtains in my craft room 50% done, stopped working on them last month

we have a three page list of items to finish. We won't allow ourselves to buy anything else until we are done with the list. But the best part is the list COULD BE LONGER but we stopped a third of the way through!!!!!

Jenni at talking hairdryer says:

Our Christmas tree may or may not be sitting un-decorated in the corner of our master bedroom pretending that spot is it's summer home.

You definitely are not the only one! I think I am programmed to only start projects and never ever finish. Case in point, my baby is now four months old and I'm still trying to finish her nursery. Literally, everything is bought and piled on her floor. Sad, really, really sad…but I'm working on it. Goal: Done by 09/01!

Not only am I a good project starter and terrible finisher but I'm a master pile maker! I'll sort through something or set aside something- into a pile of course- and that's where it stays for far too long. As I look around me right now I can see many piles of unfinished projects. I'll join you and set a goal to finish one of them by the end of the month. It will thrill my dh, who is highly annoyed at my piles… :o)

Darcy @ m3b says:

Gee, Linds… I can't think of a single unfinished project.

wink, wink.

Jessica Hills says:

I feel like I could have written this post. I am the WORST at starting projects and not finishing them…I have like 3 boxes full for sewing projects. Oh well :)

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life says:

your not the only one. i have no motivation! me right now laying in bed on the lappy

I have five unfinished projects, on my sewing table alone. I don't want to think about the ones in containers under my bed (which, by the way is a great place to hide them). I like to blame it on my mum who still has unfinished projects from the 70s that have moved cities, states and countries along with her.

I think I might have 30 unfinished projects right now…but most imporant is I started a blog with a friend of mine The planner and the procrastinator. Me the procrastinator has not put a singlr project on the blog yet…:(

If I took a picture of my "to do" list of projects it would be never ending. I have a dry-erase board full of ideas and things I need to do. Example: I told my husband when I started sewing that I would try to blind hem his pants that are too short. That was 6 months ago. They are still folded up in the closet. Maybe I'll go get them.

Lindsey, I have exactly the same situation going on here! Starting a blog a month ago has shamed me into finishing some projects so I am happy about that. But, I am much better at planning projects to do and buying all the materials than I am actually doing and completing them.

i have 20895732 new ideas that aren't able to surface because i require sleep. daily ;]

and chocolate.

Beth West www.northernskyart.wordpress.com says:

When I've got an ongoing project, if I resolve to finish it by this or that date, I get quite discouraged if I don't make it. What I've found works better for me is to just set aside say 30 m. a day to work on it until it's done.

We'll look forward to seeing your finished ottoman.

This post made me think soooo much of myself!!! I'm right there with ya believe me! I bought cute fabric to make curtains for one of our bedrooms over a year ago, and it's in my craft closet still IN THE BAG I brought it home from the store in!! I hope to get it done before Christmas :)

I have way too many knitting projects that have not yet been completed. Procrastinating, Perfectionist crafter-complicated mix.

Andi @ Jane of all crafts says:

Um… this is the story of my life! :-) I get all excited about a project so excited in fact that I have to go out asap and get ALL the supplies. Then life happens, kids need to be fed, laundry needs to be done etc and I just don't have the energy AND because i'm such a perfectionist i can't start something if everything isn't just so. This is actually why I started my blog to get some of those projects completed and to work on my "issues' :-) And then I beat myself up thinking everyone else has it together…why can't I? So thanks for this bc you were one of the first blogs I read and also one that inspired me to start sewing etc. So to know that you have some of the same things going on and still do what you do helps me to cut myself some slack. Here's to reading magazines over bills any day!!

That's so funny I'm the same way! I think all creative people are. I throw my mail on the table and walk away. Not cool when you forget where you left it!!! ahhh! The story of my life…

I'm with you! We moved into a new house in March and EVERY room needs to be painted, but so far I have only painted to rooms that got new carpeting. I painted the trim in our kitchen, but have had painters tape up for the past month just waiting for the walls to be painted. I just need to buck up and paint the room b/c i HATE the colors now.

Such a great (real) post! I have a couple of vintage patio chairs that need another coat of spray paint and paint samples that need to be applied to my son's bedroom walls. Those are just two (un)finished projects that come to mind, but there are many more. Love the fabric on the ottoman. Very cute!

Tracey @ BellaSkyDesigns says:

my whole life is an unfinished project, here is one example. I am getting ready to sell stuff at a consignment sale so i took down boxes from the attic, boxes of baby clothes/kid clothes that have been in my attic for 5 years….that i forgot to unpack….till today…..I have unfinished packing that I haven't done for 5 years!!!!!!! Lovely!!!! Speaking of getting ready for the consignment sale, my house looks like a tornado had gone through. If i could just finish rather than get distracted by the phone, my kids, hubby that works from home OR the computer, I would get a lot MORE done & COMPLETED!!!!

Really!? You think you could be the only starter? I can't remember the last time I actually finished something that wasn't for someone else. My husband is the finisher in the family. If only he quilted… You know, it's this time of year that makes me miss SLO-100 degree day vs. 85 degrees, oh man I miss the Central Coast! Oh and farmer's market on Thursday night. and the beach. and, well I could go on and on. Enjoy it for me, would you?

I was just thinking that it must be hereditary because I am HORRIBLE at concentrating on the things that need to get done and finishing projects. But… Mom and Dad are really good at finishing what they start, for the most part. What happened to us?

if you end up making a slipcover for the ottoman, i would love to see a tutorial:)

I have a pile of sewing projects about 2 feet high behind me, and a 2 page list of crafts and house upgrades I've been meaning to do! Yeesh. I completely understand. One at a time I guess, right? :)