a close call and divine intervention

gracie and i snuck away for a bit yesterday to go on a fancy date: costco.

sean was working from home, so the younger 2 were happy to stay with since i promised them a movie while i was gone, to deter any jealousy about the mommy date (they all love costco!  lily asked if i could bring them home samples!).

i say my goodbyes and head out the door with gracie to our detached garage in our backyard to hop in the car.  we get in, i encourage her to sit in her sister’s car seat so she’s not so far away from me (we moved her all the way to the back, and amazingly there is less fighting now.  imagine that.).  we gigle about how big she is for that seat.  she’s not really, but i let her think so.  she’s a bean, just a tiny little thing barely over 40 lbs, and she’s almost 8.  definitely taking after my in-laws.

i put on my seat belt as we’re talking and put the car in reverse, take my foot off the e-brake.  then stop.  i see a red light on my dashboard telling me there’s a door open.  so i open and close mine.  nope.  i put the car back in park and put on the brake, and hop out of the car to find the open door.  as i am getting out of the car i see a screaming silas running behind my car.  he decided he was sad i was leaving and wanted to say goodbye again.  sean didn’t hear the back door open when silas ran out, so he had no idea what had happened.  i immediately scoop up the boy in my arms and rush him inside, chastising him for running behind the car (we have a “line” where they aren’t allowed to cross when a car is in the driveway).  i leave him inside after a few goodbye’s and instruct lily to lock the deadbolt behind me so he can’t escape again, after yelling a word or 2 of frustration to sean.  totally not his fault, even if he was in the same room as silas he wouldn’t have been able to catch him before he got out the back door.

as i drive away the story begins to unfold differently in my head:  i’m chatting away with gracie, put the car in reverse and……..

i just can’t go there.  GOD DIDN’T LET IT GO THERE.  He stopped it before it was even a true close call.  i need to live in the “what is” rather than the “what if”.  all i can do is rest in God’s goodness and His continued protection over our little family.

God is good.

and this boy.  oh, this boy…

Comments

Yikes! That is so scary. So happy to hear that nothing happened though. Oh, and he IS sooo adorable!!!

That is one of my worst fears! Glad he is okay!

So glad he’s okay. So scary. He is too cute! We have Costco lunch dates at our house. My kids ask if we can go eat the samples there for lunch like it’s a drive thru or something.

Thank you for sharing! You’re so right! We need to live with a grateful heart, always. Just imagine what God has rescued us from…or then again don’t. Rest in His peace, and be grateful. And you, my dear, are doing just that. Thanks for the reminder.

I was scared to read this post. Whew… oh my… in the blink of an eye. God is good!

Donna

Wow. Thanks for sharing this. I have a newfound fondness for your boy (and I’ve only just seen him for the first time). Imagine all the incredible “what is” stories we could all share…

EMP,
    awake in the small hours for no discernible reason (“discernible” is one of those words I always need to double check, esp. at 4:13 a.m.)

As a mom I can’t imagine how terrifying that truly must have been. Your right though, no need in going to the what ifs. God did take care of it and that is the most important thing. Your so blessed. Have a good weekend :)

both lovely and scarey!
    i too need to live in the world of the what rather than the what if:)))

xo

Wow, oh my gosh, what a story. God is good, what a blessing. And what a scary thing too!

I know a mom who tragically had this actually happen to her – I can’t imagine the pain and suffering an accident like that would cause. I know I’ve learned to turn the radio down so I can listen for my alarm beeping that something is behind me… praise God for placing his hand of protection over your sweet boy!

Jennifer M says:

So glad your precious boy is alright. I’m glad you shared just how easily this can happen. Praise God for His Goodness! He certainly was present in this moment.

thank goodness for that red light! so glad he is safe and sound!

THe Lord is good all of the time! So glad your handsome little one was alright.

“The LORD directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.” Psalm 37:23

Thank goodness you found him! How terrifying. Unfortunately our neighbors when I was a kid had this happen with their baby…the tragedy was unthinkable.

My heart stopped for you. I know you were scared after you ran it thru with 100 worse endings. But God stepped in and protected your little man and praise him for it. A little boy on our Babycenter birth board for my first son passed away from being hit by his grandparents car when they were almost 2 years old. My son is 5 now and there’s not a week that goes by that I don’t think about Colby and his family. Because of Colby, the kids are not allowed in the yard when vehicles are moving, period. And if they’re playing in the yard, we block the drive so no one can pull up. My poor kids have had it DRILLED into their heads about never approaching a moving car or tractor (tractors are another reality of our lives that petrifies me, even though I grew up with them).

Give him extra hugs and kisses, cry the tears that I’m sure you had of relief and fear, threaten his precious life to never, ever go out the door without telling a parent and hold tight. They are truly blessings sent directly from God.

Wow! So thankful he is ok!!!! Yes, God is so GOOD!!!

Susan C. says:

I am so thankful you had a happy ending to your story. Many others have not. We just looked at a new car with a back up camera. Such a good idea, especially on SUV’s.

I have had those moments with my own boys. My son fell down our concrete garage steps from top to bottom. He was wearing new boots and was still getting used to them. He didn’t want to wait for my hand. He was completely terrified, but there was not a scratch on his little body. I thank god that someone was protecting him that day. My body trembled the entire day. Every time I leave the house, I look at those stairs and say a little prayer of gratitude.

This brought tears to my eyes. I can’t even imagine how you felt. It is a constant fear of mine as well.

Oh, wow. Took my breath away. I’ve experienced similar situations and just have to rejoice that God didn’t let “that” happen.

I so believe in the little signs and little feelings we get. Glad everyone is ok!

Oh, God is so good! I can’t even imagine how shaken up you must have been. So scary. Thank God for His protection!

Amy Stickle says:

I am almost in tears as I read this. I am so thankful that Silas was okay. God truly works in mysterious ways. I am so glad a door didn’t get shut!! Thank you for sharing how God was taking care of you and your family!

oh my word… that is so scary to think of the what if’s. as a mom, it’s often hard not to go there. so thankful that silas is safe! praise the lord!

A wonderful blog post. So glad it turned out so well. A true lesson. Focus on the What is and not the What If’s. Wonderful!

Thank the Lord! Oh my, he is such a cutie! Reminds me of my little boy. Alot to be thankful for today!

Goodness, this makes me a little emotional. God is so good and He was definitely protecting your sweet little Silas.

Holy man. THat’s a huge fear of mine. Especially now that our new vehicle doesn’t have the backup sensors that our older one did (huh?). I am so glad he’s ok. I feel bad that I often use fear to get my children not to do things like run out into a parking lot or go near the driveway when someone is in a car or whatnot, but I feel like for their life, I have to scare the bejeezus out of them to have them get just how dangerous it can be :(

And Silas is so cute.
    And my kids heart Costco.

How scary! Thank God that Silas is ok! I love how you shared about how you stopped yourself from thinking of the “what if.” As moms I think we naturally drift there and it is important to not let those thoughts and fears overtake us. I had a VERY close call with a deer last month (the crazy thing actually jumped over my car) and all day long I kept fighting the images and thoughts of “what if” I knew it was Satan creeping into my mind so I had to continually tune it out and praise God for protecting my family.

Praising God for not letting it go there!

Oh my word. Unbelievable!! God is so good in His protection over us, isn’t He?!!!

Have a great weekend, Lindsey!

Rebecca

Linda W. says:

What a scary experience. I have chills just reading it. That is one of my biggest fears.
    Hugs to you. So happy everyone is safe & sound.

“Live in the what is and rest in God’s goodness”, I love that. Thanks for the reminder! God definitely had his hand on Silas and yay for you for listening to that still small voice and getting out of the car to check. Have a great weekend!

WOW,Lindsey…such a scary thing for any parent! Im so glad he’s OK.
    BTW, I just read “Heaven is for Real” between last night and this morning. I figured it was a light read to take to the hospital for my DD’s procedure yesterday while we waited. But I was still too distracted while there and couldnt read it til last night. Its an AMAZING book about a 3 year old who “went to heaven” during an appendix surgery & the things & people(including Jesus) that he saw while there. It was one of the best books Ive read and has already changed me. Id highly recommend it for a good read!
    Have a great weekend…living thankfully that your little man was unharmed.
    XO,
    Sarah

Carol Dichmann says:

Don’t you love that extra protection we have!!! GOD IS AMAZING!!!

oh honey…I literally teared up when you said, the’ what could have happened’
    ! I am so very thankful to our God above that he was watching over Silas.
    Our God is awesome!

xoxo,
    melody

So grateful for God’s protection! How wonderful when we are able to give God the glory for something that we usually take for granted, safety. God is good, all the time.

Wow! So glad Silas was okay!! I needed this reminder today, not to think about the “what ifs” and just enjoy the moment. God is so amazing and so loving!

God is good. That’s one of my biggest fears with our little ones. I’m so thankful that everything was o.k..

Wonderful post! I love when people give the glory to God for all the little and big ways he watches out for us instead of just chalking it up to luck or a happy coincidence.

I have too many of those close calls or even almost close calls myself. Our little guy is a busy, busy boy and is also very headstrong, so he doesn’t always listen to his momma. And at two, it’s sometimes hard to explain in a way he can understand why things are dangerous (or what dangerous even is, for that matter.) So grateful for a Heavenly Father who truly does watch over us.
    And you’re so right-I think we all need to stop worrying about the “what if’s” and remember the ‘what is.” Glad to hear that Silas is ok and that nothing happened, other than a scare.

So thankful all is well! I love that you said you need to live in the “what is,” not the “what if.” I can relate in so many instances. Thanks for sharing that. God is good!

God is so good! So thankful for his protection over your little one. He is just adorable.

Oh, thank goodness, he’s okay. I still have chills from reading this.
    CAS

Taija Stagg says:

Made me cry. God is good. Oh so good. I am so glad he was looking after silas. Rest assured silas has a mission on earth. Thanks for the perspective!

Absolutely one of my biggest fears (and trust me I’m packed full of ’em) In fact I have chills and tears in my eyes reading this right now. Every time my husband goes to leave I do a yell check to see where all the kiddos are in the house. And every time I go to back out of our driveway I literally look 5 times I think.

God really is so good. But I think I am most afraid of those Job moments in life. Moments I will be tempted to withhold my praise. I am reading 1000 gifts right now and really being stretched in this.

Your Silas is precious. He has your eyes. ;-)

My 10 month old (who is walking) fell down the entire basement steps yesterday, as the door was left open. She appears ok. But 2 hours later, while nursing her, the “what if” unfolded in my head. And I was sobbing. I had to remind myself to “take my thoughts captive” to God because He didn’t want me to go there. He didn’t want me to live in worry. Praise God for safety for both our children this weekend.

Praise God! Just had a similar moment myself, involving my FAST wild child third born. After holding him tight I had to take a few minutes by my bedside on my knees. Sometimes God is just so great and merciful to my family, my heart could just scream with praise and thanks. I’m so glad Silas is alright!

God IS good! I am so glad Silas is okay! How scary!

Carolyn Zimmerman says:

It’s amazing how these little blessings happen and how as a mother, your heart flutters so hard afterwords. Glad to read that all is well :-) Nothing matters like one’s family!!

My oh my, this boy is so adorable!

Just Better Together
    come check out the prom shoe giveaway

Yep God is good! So glad everyone is safe and sound. Thanks for sharing it’s a good reminder in many ways.

Amazing. He is awesome and you are wonderful for being in tune to heed His protection.

xx

Oh Lindsey, my heart was in my throat reading this. Thank you for sharing so transparently, so thankful Silas is okay!

I’m sooo glad that you were in God’s hands for this one….and that Silas is ok. This happens a lot and unfortunately I’ve seen it a few times.

Wow that is scary. God is SOOO good to protect us in times we don’t even realize we need it. Thank God Silas is OK!

God is so good. So so thankful for you. :)
    Reversing camera on the list for this Christmas…. ;)

As you wrote this simple little story I started to get all weepy! What a precious protection for your little Silas and what a mess of emotion all wrapped up in a few seconds.

Oh my! As a mom, that is truly one of my worst fears. So glad that the door was left open! And what a sweet, sweet little boy you have. Adorable.

Oh Thank God that your story ended happily. I can tell you that this is now my worst fear since it happened to a family at our preschool. Their 19 mos. old daughter was killed in exactly similar circumstances. They are trying to petition making a law for all new cars to have back-up cameras as a standard in new cars.

In the meantime, I hope anyone reading this will make sure to install door knobs or locks that little ones can’t open and always make sure the other parent knows where the kids are who are staying. I roll down my windows and turn off the radio whenever I’m backing out now.

Kisses to your little ones.

Praise God! :)

Amberlee Taylor says:

I love your blog- I loved this post. It brought tears to my eyes. So often in life it is easy to pass things off as “luck” and fail to recognize the Lord’s hand in things— his “tender mercies”. Thank you for sharing– thank you. What a sweet little family you have.

Sweet Lindsey~
    You are right…God is so GOOD…so gracious…so protecting.
    I know your HEART must have been racing.
    Life is so fragile.
    Let me just say…that SMILE…that grin…those eyes on your sweet boy.
    HOW CUTE IS HE!!!!
    xoxoxoxo

WOW!
    Its so amazing how you realize sometimes how bad things could have been… And all you are left doing is just praising God for protecting you through the situation! He is absolutley amazing isn’t He?!

And might I say that your boy is the cutest thing EVER!

What a little cutie pie. Love those eyes! I need to think that way, What is and NOT what if!! Glad everything was ok. It must be hard to be mad at such a little cutie !!

I read your blog all the time but never comment, but I had to for this. Wow. So blessed and so lucky. I can only imagine…it’s hard not too. So grateful your beautiful boy is ok.

Just tonight my youngest boy slipped off the stairs where he was waiting for someone to help him into the pool and was completely under the water before any of us noticed. It was terrifying. He wasn’t under more than 3 seconds before my husband saw him but I keep picturing him under the water and wondering “what if we hadn’t seen him in 3 seconds”. I’m trying not to live in the “what if” and I’m unbelievably thankful that the good Lord protected him. I’m still shaking and it happened 3 hours ago. I’m glad your little boy is okay too. :)

Oh my! God does watch out for us, and those little babies. This story gave me the chills.

la vie petite

After an extremely high risk pregnancy in 2009 (kidney transplant, rare disease, only a few other women in the WORLD with my illness being able to have children) I still worry every day about losing my little miracle. Life is so precious. We need to cherish each and every second with them and drink in their magic. I am so glad your little one is okay.

xoxo.

Oh God. How scary. I’m sure you were shaking for quite some time after that. Glad everythign worked out. I’m sure Silas got lots of mommy hugs that night!

Thank the Lord for His protection!

he’s a heartbreaker, for sure. glad he made it out of that situation okay!!

He is just the cutest thing. Thank goodness for divine intervention!

life is so fragile!
    so happy there are more happy days with this one… he is simply adorable!

Oh my goodness Lindsey, how scary! So glad everyone is ok!