house tour {guest bath}

this house tour was only supposed to last a week, but now we’re onto week 3 – oops!

to catch up, check out the living room, dining room, kitchen, the girls’ room, and silas’ room.

welcome to my guest bathroom!  this is also supposed to be my kids’ bathroom, but to be honest we all pretty much share the master bath.  the good news on that is i don’t have to clean this bathroom all that often, although i’m pretty sure i should clean it more than i do!

we built this house about 4 years ago, and wanted to keep the integrity of the original house, which was built in the early 1900’s, so  we made sure to add lots of details that the original house had, and also details that added charm to make a new home not so “new”.

yep, i’m showing you our potty.  not sure why i chose this hill to die on, but i really wanted a pretty potty.  did you know you have to pay a pretty penny for a pretty potty?  its still one of those things i look back on and think. “why did we spend so much on toilets?”, but on the same hand still love that they are pretty!

the basket was a gift from my mom years ago and works perfectly for holding extra rolls of toilet paper.

the tile was a minor point of contention between my husband and i.  we had done vct (its like grocery store tile) in our past homes, and i really loved the vintage look of it, and the ease of cleaning, not to mention the amazing price.  but since we were planning on this to be our “forever house”,  we decided to go with a nicer flooring.  if we had to go for tile, i had to have honeycomb.  i don’t think any other tile fits the time period and look we were going for.  and i. hate. that. floor!  ok, that is too strong of a word, but its a pain to clean (another reason i’m grateful for the seldom use of this bathroom).  we used epoxy grout to hopefully avoid nasty grout, and i think it worked to some extent, but it was really pricey as well.  what i really wish i had done was just get the honeycomb-look  tile that was cheaper and used a grey grout.  eventually the grout will look grey anyway, and i think it lends a vintage feel as well.

the wall color is a disney color from home depot called christopher robin’s swing.  cute name, huh?

the print above the potty was a gift from a friend.   we just slapped together some molding to make a frame since we were too cheap to pay for a custom frame, and also too cheap to buy glass for it.  little did i know what life was like in the bathroom for a little boy until i had silas.  little did i know that pee could actually get up that high.  now i wish it had glass on it ;)

and all our door knobs are made by emtek.

i think i got this shower curtain from ross or marshalls or tjmaxx years and years ago.  and i think i found the curtain rings from target?  its been a long time!

we decided to add this little bit of glass to the shower.  i knew i just wanted a curtain in here, but water always seems to leak on the floor when you just use a curtain.  this little 18″ piece of glass has done the trick!

on to the tub.  even though i could probably count the number of times my kids have actually taken a bath in here (we use the big master bath shower), i still wish i had gone for the larger tub, instead of the cheapest tub i could find.  the bathroom is a pretty good size, and the tub looks pretty dinky in here.

i love cubbies in showers!  if you decide to do this, be sure to have it included in your plans because it needs to be framed out in the early stages of building/remodeling.  i love that all the shampoos and soaps can all fit neatly in the cubbies and not falling over all around the tub.

we also added this little ledge at the bottom.  i call it a shaving ledge, because its so nice to have a spot to rest your foot when you’re shaving your legs.  not that anyone shaves their legs in there.  yet.  i do have to remember that my kids are young and will want to have more privacy and shower alone when they get older.

and to add a little (or big) pop of color so needed in this room, we gave new life to an old door.

i saw the idea to hang towel bars on the back of the door in an old martha stewart magazine.  towel bars are from kmart, and towels from world market.

since we put in pedestal sinks, we needed to build in storage.

we had our kitchen cabinet builder make these, and topped it with some thick glass.

eventually i’d like to have a pivot mirror like this, but its waaaay out of my price range.  but for now, my old mirror from my bachelorette days is good enough for me!

the double pedestals. aaaaaah.  love. them.  paid way too much for them.  especially now that i see a cheaper version.  but i still love them!

they remind me of the pink sinks sean and i used to see at the rose bowl flea market back in the days when i used to have my vintage resale business.

i did save on the lights and the medicine cabinets.  i really wanted recessed medicine cabinets, but the price was ridiculous, so we had our finish carpenter make these look built-in by setting them onto the shelf.

we did a lot of wainscoting throughout the house, using bead board in the bathrooms.  we also did these shelves a few times at the top of the the wainscoting.

so there’s my guest bathroom, with lots of details for you!

Comments

Love it Lindsey! So clean and simple. Would you mind telling us a little more about your previous life as a vintage reseller? That’s my line of work and i would love to hear about your journey.

Rachel
    xoxo

• 2
      lindsey says:

sure! when i got my first apartment and for the first years of marriage, i would garage sale and estate sale with a friend to fill up our empty place. once our home was full, i still kept finding amazing things that i didn’t want to pass by so i found an excuse to keep buying! i rented out a space at a local antique mall and sold all the goodies i found. sean and i started going to flea markets as often as we could and i absolutely loved it! after a year i got pregnant with my oldest and stopped since i refinished a lot of what i sold and couldn’t do that or move furniture while i was pregnant. but i sure loved it!

Great use of space and I am a huge fan of those sinks. I feel all cozy inside when I see period pieces like that.

i love this bathroom! the big cabinets are great! we’re about done fixing our house up, but when we move on to our next house, yours will sooooo be my inspiration! thanks for sharing :)

Wow, I love this bathroom and the fact that you kept it true to the original part of the house…not all moderny. Thanks for sharing.

Marissa says:

Really great….ya’ll did a fantastic job of taking a new house and making it look not new. And with all of the benefits of the newer custom ideas. Well done!! Keep the tour coming. :P

What a huge bathroom! I love the tile and your shower curtain rings!

2027

Love it! We have the same potty. That we paid a pretty penny for when re-doing our bath for our house that was built in the 1920’s :)
    I understand the tile hatred. When we first moved in, I actually bought a grout cleaner and scrubbed and thought that my grey grout was dirty. Ha. That’s when I learned that grout comes in grey. Brilliant. And boys pee everywhere. What’s up with that??

Love the bathroom! It is so cute. Everything about it is so cute. THe little window between the mirrors…….LOVE!

Cute!! Lots of great details; love the cubbies in the shower!

I have to say that I love the fact that you took pics of your pretty potty. I can appreciate it and the basket on the back is genius. Our bathroom is too small for a basket or anything to put tp refills so that is a great idea. I love the door of picture frames. So cute!!!

Love love love your bathroom! So vintage and yet very fresh and up to date!

Thanks for sharing the things you love as well as the things you’d do differently. We put cheap-o 12×12 tiles in our bathroom, and I’ve been kicking myself ever since for not getting the honey comb tiles. Appreciate hearing your take on them. :)

That is beautiful!

Perfect!!! I love every detail!

I absolutely adore your house!

Fabulous!

eileensideways says:

love love the door “frame”. what a clever idea. love the hot/cold shower curtain rings. very cute.

Ang Glidewell says:

In 1851 at the Great Exhibition a.k.a. Crystal Palace the potty chair was introduced. They charged a penny to use it. Where the euphemism “to spend a penny” came from. So now you can have a new saying when you sit on your pretty penny potty. LOL At the very first picture of your bathroom… the very first thing that stood out to me, was the honeycomb tile. My initial thought was thats an old house. But it looks new. :-) I love the glass on the tub what a brilliant idea we have on both ends of our tub water issues. We live in a 1960’s trailer house because we live on a campus. The house comes with the job. Anyways, would like to know how you put the glass up do you have a tutorial on it? I also like the cubbies in the bathroom. You did an awesome job thinking things thru!

• 19
      lindsey says:

thanks for the history lesson! how funny!

we had the glass done professionally, just t make sure things were done correctly.

Your bathroom is SO refreshing looking! I love the H/C shower curtain holders! So creative!

wow! i adore this bathroom!

the terrycloth curtain looks so soft – i’d be tempted to rip from the oh-so-cute rings and use as a towel.

and cubbies are a must. my parents put them in their shower (which i am using this week) and they are GREAT. i wish my shower had these!

and LOVE the pedestal sink with the counter on the side. best of both worlds!

I have to say that your house tour has not been good for me. I ABSOLUTELY love everything in every shot you have taken and I just sit and day dream ALL DAY about what I want my future home to look like!

(I’m still renting! BOO!)

Love it! I love the honeycomb tile, the wainscoting and that built in cabinet! Very beautiful!

Love the guest bathroom! Looks like you thought of everything. I like when people plan very meticulously and have it come together than just throwing something together. The pre-planning time that went into your design really show in the awesome results. Thanks for opening up your lovely home to us readers.

Soooo pretty! the tile and pedestal sinks are so charming. Love your home!!!

Our house is small and we’re almost finished fixing it up and hope to live in it for maybe 8 or 10 more years. At that point I think we’re planning on building, and we’ve already got some plans. I feel like your bathroom is straight out of my brain! :) I love your house, you’ve done a wonderful job making it feel cozy and spacious. :)

Jordan

We have a 1950 3/1 house and that single bathroom is put to good use! It always needs to be clean and neat because it serves as our guest and main bathroom. The towel bars-behind-the-door idea is inspired! I’m really enjoying the house tour and loving all the little inspirations you bring. Thank you!

oh my i love it so much. really really love that tile. your house is dreamy. :)

I can’t WAIT to move to our next home and decorate in all those bright colors! You’re house tour has definitely influenced me!

I love your bathroom! i love those sinks…goodness i cant wait to stop renting out an apt and be in my own home!

AlphabetSoup Style

i love all the details you thought of and i love that window between the sinks! it is so pretty in there!

Love the house tour!! Awesome bathroom! We used the same white honeycomb tile with white grout – and sooooo wished I had used grey grout! Feeling your cleaning pain on this one!

Brittany says:

I absolutely adore your home. Every bit of it!!! My husband and I plan to build our forever home within the next 2-3 years, and I am OBSESSED with getting inspiration and ideas! Your home is one of my biggest inspirations! It’s comfortable, stylish, chic, & welcoming. Love.

PS. I can’t wait to see your master bedroom!!! :)

I have an old door in my attic that I’ve been wondering what to do with … thinking now’s the time to go through some old photographs and put it to use. Love your idea!! Thanks for sharing your home with us.

Cami S. says:

I absolutely love this bathroom! Beautiful!

Love this space! The entire bathroom is uncluttered and very clean.Its classic.

I LOVE the tiles, but do understand how they could become a pain to keep clean. I also LOVE the refinished door–it adds so much color and personality. We’ve got a bare wall in our dining area that’s just begging for something like this to be placed on it :)

Lindsey, if you’re still reading these comments……..I would love to see just a basic floor plan of your home. It looks to me like maybe it is a single story home, with one large common area, and all rooms & a bathroom adjoin to that area. We love open floor plans like. Yours is extra open. There’s not very many homes like that in our area of the country.

Thanks!!!! Loved your home tour.

I love what you have done, Lindsey! Thank you for including all the links, you know inquiring minds would want to know :). We live in a 1920’s home and I can attest that that tiny octagon tile is a pain to keep clean, however…i just love the way it looks. I’ve debated if we should ever remodel with it in our next house (which will have to be newer) :P. So if you had to do it over again, you would go with the small square tile from Home Depot (I saw some octagon tile in that link too, but just wanted to make sure you were linking to the square). I value your remodeling wisdom. Thank you again for a great post…I”m bookmarking all of these and so appreciative of you sharing with us!

I love the sinks. The idea of putting a thick piece of glass on top of the cabinets is great. Thanks so much for sharing all your pictures and ideas. I love your decorating style!

Rachelle says:

Beautiful bathroom! We painted our nursery, now our daughter’s room in ‘Christopher Robin’s Swing’ — is it not the most perfect shade of green? I just love it!

Lindsey, I can’t thank you enough for doing the home tour. I know I’ve said this in previous comments, but your home is one of my very favorite. We are in the very beginning of planning our forever home and yours is truly an inspiration. I keep calling my husband over to the computer pointing out things I want for our next home. I love the doors, the floors and everything in between. I know it’s a lot of work to take the photos and share the details and I appreciate you taking the time to do it. Thanks for the tip on the flooring/tile because that’s what I wanted in the bathrooms in our next home.

Thank you for your wonderful post! I very much appreciated your honesty on this project, we all have so much valuable info after the fact, thanks so for sharing yours!

*sigh* Your house is just too perfect! Gorgeous.

wow!!! I looooove every single detail in this bathroom!!!!

We are in the process of buying a house built in 1908, with gorgeous woodwork everywhere and still has ancient appliances (which still function). We really want to decorate with a modern vintage feel, and your house tour has given me so many great ideas. Thanks for sharing your home with us!

I love the tile . Seriously, I want to move in!

I’ve been loving your house tour. We are moving soon and are considering buying an older house to remodel but want to maintain the original style. Thanks for sharing your insight about the bathroom floor. I had seen these in a few homes and wondered how hard it was to maintain.

I continue to LOVE your house tour! Funny thing–we used that exact color on my little boy’s nursery:) Added with Silly Old Bluebirds (blue):)

Sooo….we’re getting ready to totally gut and redo our main bathroom and are planning to use some similar features, namely the octagonal tiles, but with some black ones intermixed. Do you REALLY hate them that much? I really want them, but honestly, I avoid cleaning like the plague, so maybe that’s not the best option…:)

Thanks for sharing!!

♥ all the little details. You have a knack for sure!

Michelle says:

We live in a house built in 1915 and I LOVE your house tour!! We are redoing things little by little and your house has the same feel we are going for here – keeping the charm of the original with the functionality of the new:)

***grout cleaning trick for tile floors*** Mix 1/2 cup of oxygen bleach (like Oxy-clean)with 1 gallon of warm/hot water, dissolve completely. Wet your floor with the solution and wait 30 minutes. Scrub with a brush. It should come really clean without much effort! The key is to let the cleaner sit on the grout and do the work first. I found the tip on a handyman website: http://www.askthebuilder.com/817_Tile_Grout_Cleaning.shtml

Thanks again for the tour! I’m going to paint our LR/DR silver sage now, love it as a great backdrop color!

Our house was built in the 1930’s, and we have the same floors, doorknobs, and medicine cabinets (ours are actually built in, though). As far as I know, they’re all original to the house. We love them! =)

Cristina says:

Ikea has very cheap picot mirrors

Lizzie Brooks says:

I am SO SORRY if I missed it, but I can’t seem to figure out where your sink faucets are from? Thanks!

Im looking for pedestal sinks like that. Can I ask where you found them? They look exactly like the sink in my grandmothers bathroom in the 1950’s