house tour {great room}

so its only been just over a month since my last house tour, but soon after i finished the tour i switched out several rooms.  apparently i really needed a change!  silas moved in with lily and gracie got her own room, then i switched the dining and living rooms!

today i’m sharing our entire great room: entry, dining, living, and a smidge of the kitchen.

IMG_8201

welcome to my home!  as you can see, there is no real entry space in my house, you just walk right into the main room!

IMG_8217

this fact was one of the main reasons i’ve been wanting to try swapping out the dining and living rooms.  our living room configurations (there are several options) never gave quite enough space in the entryway.  it always felt a little too tight.

but now it feels much more open!  and yes, i moved the piano again.  adding the rug under it really helped break up all the brown.  but i still am planning on painting the piano (don’t hate me, piano lovers!).

the walls are all painted silver sage by restoration hardware.  its a great neutral color that has a hint of color in different lights – we’ve used it in 3 different homes!  i think the white trim is called polar white (?).  i basically was looking for the brightest white possible.

IMG_8212

after seven years of having the same mirror in our entry way, i finally mixed things up a bit!  i started off by hanging my new canvas ℅ naptime diaries, then worked around that.  aren’t the colors amazing on it?!  i was really tempted to limit my color palette here, but i just couldn’t.  i kept my big canvas i painted years ago, and added my laundry room rug from target. i still haven’t killed this houseplant yet so it found a new home here.

the #5’s represent our family of 5 and were both gifts.

IMG_5358

i pulled a roman bust from the garden, hosed it off and plopped it on top of the piano along with my yummy candle from red letter words and a garage sale antler.

IMG_8203

directly across from the piano is the dining room table.  yep, its kind of weird to walk right into the dining room, but it also feels so much more open then it did before.

our floors are engineered hardwood, maple with a walnut stain.  we bought them when we rebuilt the house and i don’t remember the company – sorry!

IMG_6488

here’s a before pic of the previous dining room, just as a reminder of what it used to look like.

IMG_8206

and now the table (from pottery barn, no longer available) sits in front of the fireplace and bookshelves.  most likely, we’ll be switching the rooms back in the winter because i love to sit in front of the fireplace.  but for now i’m enjoying the change!

IMG_8207

we had mismatched, broken chairs for several years. one day my sister-in-law said she had a friend who was selling their chairs that perfectly matched our table for a steal –  sold!

IMG_8208

we still have the tv hidden behind the barn wood cover, but since we rarely watch tv, we can just sit at the table if we do.

IMG_8242

i love putting my books in rainbow order!  the “do justly” canvas from red letter words is the prefect shade of turquoise to pull it all together.

IMG_8211

the yellow dresser (french pale gold by behr) fits great under the windows and gives the dining area just the pop of color it needed – all that black can be overwhelming sometimes!

IMG_8222

this is the view standing in the playroom doorway.

IMG_8226

IMG_8229

and now on to the new location of the living room!

IMG_8231

another reason why i like the living room here is because it allows for better conversation between those in the kitchen and those on the couches, the 2 areas where we spend a lot of time.

the glass rack on the island is from world market, spray painted pink by me.

IMG_8233

while i normally prefer the couches to be facing each other, i liked the couch best centered under the photo gallery shelves.

IMG_8235

the right couch is from ikea, left couch custom made in l.a. years ago, coffee table made by my dad & i, chair thrifted, rug from costco, pillows made by me, from world market and from paisley sprouts, and shelves from ikea.

IMG_8236

sean and i bought the chandelier at the rose bowl flea market for our first apartment and have moved it with us ever since.  it was originally intended to hang over the dining table, but i sort of love it here!

IMG_8240

the sofa table (still used as a wrapping station) still works great behind the couch, painted mermaids net by behr.

IMG_8243

and here’s the view from the couch to the kitchen.  we left the space between the living room and kitchen pretty open since that space is a thoroughfare between the front porch and the backyard.

IMG_8246

any questions?  ask me in the comments and i’ll do my best to answer!

Comments

I love how open everything is! It feels so cool and calm… and I’m jealous of the floors! My ancient, crumbling tiles make me so sad and wish we could replace them with wood!

I live the switcheroo! And it doesn’t seem strange to me that the dining area is right off the entry. A previous home was that way and my sister’s current home also has the dining space right by the front door. The only difference is that our was defined with a column and change in flooring.

I love the switch! I think when you show the overall picture at the end, you can really see how it flows so well. Plus, the house is so open, so walking into the dining room doesn’t really feel like walking into a traditional dining room. I love how light and airy it looks and feels, you did a great job. Definitely will be keeping these posts in mind when I’m itching to redecorate some of my rooms!

Melanie Barker says:

Where do you find your vintage books!?

Great job! Everything feels so open and the living area is my favorite. Do you happen to remember where you purchased your kitchen bar chairs? Thanks!

love everything you did!
    i like the kitchen and living area for the same reason as you!
    so much inspiration!

looks great really airy. The aqua touches are so happy. Have you ever thought of painting the counter stools aqua?

• 10
      lindsey says:

yes! and we’ve thought of painting the island, too. still haven’t gathered the guts to do either…

I love the switched up rooms! It makes the space more open and inviting, great job!

So I’m pretty sure that out of all of the homes on blogland that I see, I get the most giddy about your style. I love bright white, dark wood, pops of color and vintage touches. I’m also a word girl so I love your various canvases as well as all of the globes. Thanks for making me smile every time I see your beautiful home! :-)

~Sarah

I love how your house is so open, bright and calm. It reminds me of a relaxing California boutique hotel!

Love your cool comfy style! Come do my house! ;)
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy

It looks almost as if your house is a ranch because of the ceiling line. Is it?

• 18
      lindsey says:

nope, but it is a single story. it has a squarish footprint due to years of small additions by the previous owners.

Every time I look at your house, I just want to come move in! I just love everything about it. I noticed your family rules canvas in the background and was wondering if you would consider doing a custom order. I know you closed your shop, but thought I would ask anyways. If DIY mine, it would look quite disastrous. If not you, do you know anyone that sells those? Thanks!

• 20
      lindsey says:

thanks for asking, but i only made this one and am done for life! it took forever! but if you go to etsy and search for family rules you will find a ton of options!

• 21

Thanks Lindsey for responding. I totally understand-it looks quite time consuming and hard-but you did a great job! I will look on Etsy and see what I can find. Thanks again. Have a great day!

Love love love your home! I was just wondering what color paint you used in your bathroom where you take your WIW pictures, I love it!

• 23
      lindsey says:

i couldn’t remember, but a long time reader said she thinks its robin’s egg blue by an old martha stewart line from kmart.

Hi Lindsey,

I absolutely love your house! Thank you so much for sharing your home with us! I’ve been trying to get the silver sage color matched. Do you happen to have the formula from the can? I would really appreciate if would send it to me. We’re in a rural area, so we don’t have many choices.

Thank you much!

• 25
      lindsey says:

unfortunately, we made the mistake of leaving all of our paint cans outside in the weather and the formulas all wore off! we don’t live near a restoration hardware either but you can order samples and maybe even paint chips online.

Did you already answer what color the living space walls are? It looks like a light gray to me?

lindsey says:

yes! its called silver sage by restoration hardware. it generally looks silvery grey, but can lean a little blue/green in certain light.

I love your house!!! The pops of color are just beautiful!! Do you remember where you purchased your red clock on your bookshelf and your red 5 on your picture shelves? THanks so much!!! Love it all!! You have inspired me to redecorate!!

Katie

• 29
      lindsey says:

the red clock was actually my dad’s – he had it in his office since before i was born! and the res 5 was a find on etsy.

Brittany says:

We are in the market for wood floors and I love yours! Do you know the brand/color? Thank you!

• 31
      lindsey says:

thanks! unfortunately, when we built this house it was just before i began blogging, so i didn’t keep track of a lot of those details – so sorry! i know they are engineered hardwood, maple with a walnut stain.

Jamie Swift says:

Hi Lindsey! I just love your style and your home! We are planning on building our home in the near future and are trying to work on design. We love an open floor plan like your great room. Do you find it is spacious enough? What is your square footage for that area (living, dining, kitchen) if you don’t mind me asking? We are a family of six and I’m scared we will plan too small a space. Thanks so much!
    Jamie