after talking through being stumped in my decorating decisions last week, i have slowly started to work out my kinks. and i am finally feeling like i see the direction i want to head.
don’t mind the mess – i don’t! for years i have had this yellow dresser in our living room, either here under the windows, or behind the couch where the piano is. its a great piece, an awesome color (french pale gold by behr), and worked so well for our family for storing toys and art supplies. but for now, i am removing most of the vibrant colors from our living room and letting the room be quiet for a bit, and maybe slowly add things back in. well, this dresser is anything but quiet.
i decided to pull the orange locker cabinet from gracie’s room (this picture was when it was silas’ room). i bought it several years ago at a garage sale (its an ikea piece). it was red, but i sprayed it orange.
i had a couple super helpful “helpers” tape off the base of the cabinet. i really wanted a nice glossy white finish. from past experience, i knew that it was hard to get a smooth finish with a brush or roller, so i planned to spray paint it. but i also am really picky about the final product when using a spray can. i hate seeing spray lines. after several coats using krylon color master in white gloss, and sanding in between, i was still getting an inconsistent finish. i went to get one more can hoping it would do the trick (i think i used 5 or 6 cans total), and i accidentally got the wrong kind. i finished off with krylon fusion in gloss and while the finish wasn’t nearly as glossy, it was much smoother and more consistent – yay!
i was too impatient to wait a couple days for the paint to fully cure so rather than spray painting the base gold (i would’ve had to tape off the newly painted white), i hand painted the base with some gold i had on hand. it took several coats (maybe 4 or 5) but it dried so quickly that i could paint the next coat as soon as i finished the first one.
this little bit of a modern touch is just what i wanted!
i’ve had the chair next to the cabinet for several years (an old iron patio chair). its not the most comfortable, but it provides an additional seating option and i think its cute.
the euro size pillows had brown velvet covers on it that had faded pretty badly from when i moved the chair to the porch for a short time. a friend suggested i try dying the covers black, and most likely they would turn out a dark grey.
so for $4 for a pack of rit dye and 45 minutes of my time, i transformed this chair! the cushions turned a deep greyish brown and i’m pretty happy with it!
a couple small transformations done over a weekend for pretty big impact and very little cost!