DIY reclaimed wood sign

IMG_1805

my mother-in-law sent me a link a couple years ago to a blog post about a sign she wanted me to make for her.  i told her i could make it, and i did!  it only took me 2 years to make it…

well, not really.  just 2 years to start it!

IMG_1772

sean took some reclaimed wood, assembled it into a rectangle – it was pretty big… about 2.5′ x4′.

IMG_1775

simple wood scrap braces support the back.

IMG_1776

i created a word document with 2 fonts: modern no. 20 & stalemate.  to save on ink i printed it as an outline only.

IMG_1785

i layer out all the pieces of paper, connecting them with tape.

IMG_1792

i trimmed anywhere the papers overlapped.

IMG_1794

after several different attempts, i finally figured out the quickest way to transfer the outline to the wood:  with chalk!  i kept the top edge of each word taped in place, then flipped it up…

IMG_1796

and coated behind the lettering by rubbing chalk on it.

IMG_1798

i flipped it back in place and then traced the printed outline by pressing hard with a sharp pencil.

IMG_1799

 

IMG_1801

the chalk transferred right onto the wood!  it was trickier in some spots because of the heavily weathered wood we chose, but still turned out great.

IMG_8199

i was doing this project late in the night and kind of forgot to check if i had all the supplies on hand that i needed.  i ended up mixing together several bits of bottles of white paint and used a couple super thin brushes to outline the letters, then filled in with slightly wider brushes.

IMG_1807

after it had all dried i just dusted off the excess chalk (this pic is pre-dusting).

IMG_1805

i added the star at the end, using a straight edge and a white colored pencil to make the lines, then coated with paint.

IMG_8208

and here it is in its final resting place on my mother-in-law’s mantel.  until its time to pack up the christmas decor…

(this project was relatively simple, but pretty time consuming.  after the wood was assembled, the rest of the work took about 8 hours.  just a heads up!)

 

modern geometric canvas art

i’m bringing back some old posts for you  to enjoy!

remember my canvas from yesterday?  i thought i’d show you a little how-to so you can do it too!  it was super easy and i want to make a million more.  i’m thinking covering a whole wall like this would be amazing!

so this is the original i wanted to copy was inspired by.  isn’t it amazing?!  i love the randomness, the use of colors and neutrals, and the fact that the artist left some spots unpainted.

nicole decided to make one as well for her guest house.  her’s is the bigger one on the right.  i ended up making mine more of a parchment color, different from what is pictured here.  the grey was too close to my existing wall color (silver sage by restoration hardware).  we used a mix of acrylic craft paints – grey white, brown, gold – and just squirted them all over randomly then brushed over them to blend and smooth them out a bit.  we made sure to get the edges at the same time so we had the same mix of colors at the edge to match the canvas.  i also used some water to dilute my paint a bit, too.

this was the trickiest part, but still super easy, just a bit time consuming.  we first decided what size we wanted our circles to be.  we ended up using an upside down drinking glass.  i measured the diameter of the top of the glass (3 1/2) then divided that number by 2 and got 1 3/4″.  so that’s the spacing we used for the stripes, vertically and horizontally.  after all of those lines were marked we used the glass and just traced with a pencil around it to make the circles.

then came the fun part!  i just randomly used colors, mixing a few together, and filled in the “petals”.  i found it was kind of hard to be random, like being intentionally unintentional ;)

i use a super fancy tray for mixing my paints – a pie tin.  when i mixed my paints, i didn’t want to color to be solid so i dipped my brush in a few colors at a time and let them mix a little on the canvas.

i kept my laptop out to refer back to the original.  i kept wanting to add more color, but new i’d get too rainbow-y if i didn’t balance it with neutrals and blank spots.

our finished art!  nicole’s is totally different from mine – she had a color pallet she was working with and i was going more random.  i love how both of them turned out!

so fun!